Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:52:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn OP.... I hope this gets worked out quick!  Sorry to hear and I can't imagine how disappointed your kid is.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Price your wares better and people will buy them.

Free market 101.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, a couple questions.

Why did you wait until 2 weeks before the season? And where did you try a dozen rifles if you ordered online?

You see, there's this thing called a store. You can visit one locally and try shit out. Find something that you like and then order it online.

\Yeah, but that's Grade-A dickhead behavior and borderline theft of services.

Free market 101.

When you buy at a retail store you pay a little extra for personal service and hands on examination, online purchase all you get is the goods, no services.  If you go to a store with the intent of using the services and then buying online to pay the "no services" price, you stole the store's services.

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:55:28 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, did you trying cleaning out the firing pin channel yet? I had a similar issue with a friends ruger. he had knocked some fine sand into the action and it gummed things up. a quick take down and cleaning fixed it all.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:58:24 PM EDT
[#4]
that sucks, i just got a ruger american in 7mm 08 things a fucking tack driver with a leupold vx3 on it

looks like you are getting decent protusion on the firing pin but it could be binding up

That would be total shit if it was a headspace issue.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Free market 101.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, a couple questions.

Why did you wait until 2 weeks before the season? And where did you try a dozen rifles if you ordered online?

You see, there's this thing called a store. You can visit one locally and try shit out. Find something that you like and then order it online.

Free market 101.

The nice restaurant doesnt let you come in and eat your food at their tables and take a shit in the facilities after you buy a bag of tacos off the food truck. The difference is they can spot you before you come in and tell you to GTFO. The gun shop cant, though most us will tell you to fuck off if you tell us how you're going to go home and order from buds to save 17 dollars as you ask to finger bang everything in inventory. You want bottom dollar? Fine but dont ask for the gun shop experience if you want to pay for the catalog/mail order experience.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I just used my dad's rifle.

30.06 rem 700BDL

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Disassemble the bolt and clean out the firing pin channel. You most likely have metals chips from machining binding up the firing pin strike.
View Quote

This +1.

I fished out 3 machine chips from my American 30-06.

They were big enough to definitely fubar operations.
Definitely worth a shot before sending back to Ruger.

ETA: bolt disassembly has to 1) be in the manual, and 2) be pretty easy because A) while I remember doing it and getting a few chips out, B) I don't remember looking up anything other than the little book that came with the gun.  I THINK once you get the cover off, it all just comes apart pretty easily.

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#8]
If you can't get the rifle back in time, an AR in 5.56 with an adjustable stock makes a great kid's deer rifle. My Daniel Defense loaded with 62 grain Fusions in the hands of my 10 year old son was quite deadly last season. 200 lb 8-pointer took a dirt nap in a hurry after my son ventilated his boiler room.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:05:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Stop! I had this happen in my tikka. I had the scope installed with base and they put the long screw in thr front and short in the back.  Caused bolt to not be headspaced correctly.  I would try this first before you go deep
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:08:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Bolt full of grease
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Once again for everyone throwing darts at me for buying online: we were able to find and try on this gun in a store in a different caliber (.223) but not a single store we visited/talked to on the phone actually carried the compact 300BLK version in stock. Cabelas and Sportsman's didn't even have the SKU in their catalog. I eventually ordered it from a LGS with an online presence that could put an order in for me and was willing to do so.

Not all is lost, though. After watching the video on how to disassemble a RARR bolt (thanks, MarkNH!) I've now learned something for the day. And discovered something interesting:

Note the absence of the roll pin securing the tail end of the firing pin, and the gap between the firing pin and the end piece. The firing pin (per the video) is supposed to be touching/very close to the opposite side of the gap. So I'm missing at least one part and have an incorrect installation on another.

Incidentally, there is no grease on the bolt. I sprayed it down with brake cleaner to remove the packing oil on it and cleaned the bore prior to the range trip. And there was no gunk inside the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, a couple questions.

Edited a bit
Cheesy if the intent was to never buy in the store, a user, but not quite theft of services.

ETA; I have a few shops in the area, one I like is old school and wants you to buy what he has or can order.  He has little interest in being a FFL service for online.  Another one is willing to order anything you want if they can find it.  If they can't find it but you can on gunbroker or elsewhere, they'll receive it for you for a modest price.  Well from anyplace except Buds as they screw up the orders too much and are slow to ship on some orders. They decided that Buds isn't worth the hassle for them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

My dad's tactic was to take me to every outdoors/gun store within driving distance.  Check out long gun  after long gun for hours on end finding the smallest thing wrong with each and never getting me one.
View Quote
You can't buy memories like that.

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ruger hasn't written a warranty for decades. They will take care of it, though I don't think you'll get it back in time.

It's safe to assume that rifle was proofed, so it fired when they proofed it. The first thing I'd like to know is if somebody played with the bolt and misaligned something.
View Quote

I'm not sure it is safe to assume it was proof fired. My Ruger American was shipped without any extractor parts. I think they would have noticed when the case would not come out of the chamber, so I assume they did not fire it.

They took about 2 weeks door to door to remedy the problem.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Once again for everyone throwing darts at me for buying online: we were able to find and try on this gun in a store in a different caliber (.223) but not a single store we visited/talked to on the phone actually carried the compact 300BLK version in stock. Cabelas and Sportsman's didn't even have the SKU in their catalog. I eventually ordered it from a LGS with an online presence that could put an order in for me and was willing to do so.

Not all is lost, though. After watching the video on how to disassemble a RARR bolt (thanks, MarkNH!) I've now learned something for the day. And discovered something interesting:

http://i.imgur.com/bBAH1Xa.jpg

Note the absence of the roll pin securing the tail end of the firing pin, and the gap between the firing pin and the end piece. The firing pin (per the video) is supposed to be touching/very close to the opposite side of the gap. So I'm missing at least one part and have an incorrect installation on another.

Incidentally, there is no grease on the bolt. I sprayed it down with brake cleaner to remove the packing oil on it and cleaned the bore prior to the range trip. And there was no gunk inside the barrel.
View Quote

Less than a dollar and half an hour to become a hero to your kid again.   Nice.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:19:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My dad's tactic was to take me to every outdoors/gun store within driving distance.  Check out long gun  after long gun for hours on end finding the smallest thing wrong with each and never getting me one.

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd dump a can of brake clean in that bolt.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:31:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Time to log onto McMaster-Carr and/or contact Ruger.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:33:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Everybody talks of Ruger having good CS

I have got to the point over the last few years where they get more practice than anybody else .

I have been messing about with guns for 40+ years and have had a wide range of firearms

Springfield Armory-no issues (the one in springfield)
Marlin                    No issues
Winchester
S&W
Sig Sauer
Anshutz
Thompson Condender
Glock
Bushmaster
Rock River
Stag
All no issues

Colt - I sent in a Colt Mustang I had some issues with after I bought used and had run a couple thousand rounds through it , I suspect some previous owner had messed about with it - they stepped up and fixed it includeing a new slide ($15 for shipping)

Ruger- P85 recall on something , Patrolmans's carbine broke the first time I pulled the slide back , they fixed it but the trigger was always a mess,
Stainless Ranch Rifle that never shot anything less than a 8" group at 50 yards, sent back twice and was told it worked fine.

To be fair I have other Rugers that are fine but Factory guns from them don't impress me much
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I had same issue.

Bolt was packed with grease.

Cleaned out and oiled and bang.

Take the bolt apart.  

View Quote
Yep, brake cleaner, blast, dry, oil

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:37:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Buy what you want, where you want. Who could or would have thought your firearm was for decoration only.  Those pin strikes look to me really close to having gone bang. But I guess the close dont count. Hope you get it figured out. If you were nearby I'd loan you a winchester Lighweight .243. Pretty laminated stock and sized right for smaller shooters.  What a time for a test of patience. Good Luck
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:38:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm not sure it is safe to assume it was proof fired. My Ruger American was shipped without any extractor parts. I think they would have noticed when the case would not come out of the chamber, so I assume they did not fire it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ruger hasn't written a warranty for decades. They will take care of it, though I don't think you'll get it back in time.

It's safe to assume that rifle was proofed, so it fired when they proofed it. The first thing I'd like to know is if somebody played with the bolt and misaligned something.

I hope you contacted management there, not customer service, and told them about that because that is potentially very dangerous.

OP, get a gunsmith to replace the pin. It won't cost much and you'll have the rifle in time to use it. It sucks, but if there's a problem, it can be fixed by Ruger after he fills his tag.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm in southern NM bit am moving back to vegas over the neXT couple weeks.  I can meet you in St George, an hour and a half away.  If you need a rifle, I've got a Hand 300 AAC I'll lend you.  Shoot me a pm.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:40:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm in southern NM.  If you need a rifle, I've got a Handi 300 AAC I'll lend you.  Shoot me a pm.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think any darts were meant for you, but rather JamPo.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've found small roll pins at ACE Hardware. Take the bolt with you and see if you can find one that fits and you may be in business!
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#27]
My ruger 7 mag tang safety never had a problem,  the .220 swift mark 2 target same no problem, or .22 mark 2 same. I dont know if it was luck but I've been happy.  I have no experiance with the .300 blackout caliber other than mostly the ar folks here and a few bolt guys here and there. I miss hunting the Utah dirt.  Up Moon lake, or toward spanish fork between Duchesne I saw a Monster of a deer.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#28]
So OP then what is the plan now, send it back and have them adjust and put the missing pin in? Sucky situation.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, a couple questions.

No.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:59:51 PM EDT
[#30]
I'd disassemble and throughly clean the bolt.  If that doesn't work, rest assured Ruger will take care of you.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Good God, we could be long lost Brothers!  My Dad was the same way.  And when he did buy something, instead of getting me what I wanted, he'd get what he wanted and it would disappear into his room and I'd never see it again.

Then Mom took me to JC Penney and got me a Winchester 94, which is what I wanted from the get go.  Thanks Mom!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well that sucks.  Fairly certain they'll make it right.

Good God, we could be long lost Brothers!  My Dad was the same way.  And when he did buy something, instead of getting me what I wanted, he'd get what he wanted and it would disappear into his room and I'd never see it again.

Then Mom took me to JC Penney and got me a Winchester 94, which is what I wanted from the get go.  Thanks Mom!

Triplets here, but Mom never stepped up, either.  

Lots of promises, but zero delivery.  When I was younger I used to tell myself that they meant well.  

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 9:08:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I had same issue.

Bolt was packed with grease.

Cleaned out and oiled and bang.

Take the bolt apart.  

View Quote

Same here, tear it apart clean & lightly oil give it a go and hope for a bang
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Guess what this is the sound of??

If you can't see the video, what you missed hearing was the sound of a firing pin going all the way home and setting off a primed piece of brass. (You can only do this sort of thing when the wife is out of the house...)

I'm still missing the roll pin, but turning the firing pin all the way back to its required set back did the trick. I'll hit Graingers or call Ruger on Monday for a roll pin.

Much thanks for everyone's help. We're back in business. I love Arfcom...
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 9:21:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, a couple questions.

Bwahahaha theft of services??  You guys crack me up with this shit.  If you are serious, you honestly have mental problems.

You are wandering into "delusional leftist" territory if you fucking think you are entitled to my business if I just because I visited your store.  And then to go as far as to say that maybe I should be charged with theft for having the nerve to buy something for a cheaper price than yours reads like something straight out of the commie play book.  

These entitled twats who think everyone owes you something because you own a business need to get a fucking grip.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 9:24:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Sorry to hear.

Happened to me with a M77 35 Whelen years ago.

Light strikes every 2nd or 3rd round.

Sent back to Ruger, < one week turnaround.

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 9:28:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/rYacIeMLwes

If you can't see the video, what you missed hearing was the sound of a firing pin going all the way home and setting off a primed piece of brass. (You can only do this sort of thing when the wife is out of the house...)

I'm still missing the roll pin, but turning the firing pin all the way back to its required set back did the trick. I'll hit Graingers or call Ruger on Monday for a roll pin.

View Quote

You don't have a spare parts organizer full assorted sizes of roll pins?  What. The. Hell.  

Seriously, though, I'm glad it turns out that it's an easy fix, but you really should have a box full of spare gun parts for times like these.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 9:45:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you can't get the rifle back in time, an AR in 5.56 with an adjustable stock makes a great kid's deer rifle. My Daniel Defense loaded with 62 grain Fusions in the hands of my 10 year old son was quite deadly last season. 200 lb 8-pointer took a dirt nap in a hurry after my son ventilated his boiler room.
View Quote

Just an FYI: Some states it is illegal to hunt with a .22 caliber (whether rimfire OR centerfire). Check your local laws!
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These posts made me think of this old SNL Deep Thoughts
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 9:58:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Just an FYI: Some states it is illegal to hunt with a .22 caliber (whether rimfire OR centerfire). Check your local laws!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep - It's illegal to deer hunt in VA with a 5.56. Such stupidity. I've taken ONE whitetail with a .270, and the rest that I've killed have all been with a .224" bullet. Most with 5.56 out of an AR or a Mini-14, and the rest with a .22-250.

But here in Virginia? Noooooo. It's not humane to shoot a deer with my tack-driver of an AR. My AK? Sure!
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Way to handle it Dad! Good luck on your hunt.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:08:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Bwahahaha theft of services??  You guys crack me up with this shit.  If you are serious, you honestly have mental problems.

You are wandering into "delusional leftist" territory if you fucking think you are entitled to my business if I just because I visited your store.  And then to go as far as to say that maybe I should be charged with theft for having the nerve to buy something for a cheaper price than yours reads like something straight out of the commie play book.  

These entitled twats who think everyone owes you something because you own a business need to get a fucking grip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, a couple questions.

I didn't mean it in the legal charge sense.

That said, if you go to a retail store to take the clerks time, finger fuck the merchandise, etc. with the intention of then buying from an online vendor, you've basically stolen service from a business that sells product and service.

The fact that when you get called out as FSA, you call the victim "entitled" is priceless.  What makes you entitled to shop wear someone else's property that you have no intent of ever buying?

The entitled leftist ideology is the notion that you are entitled to take from a business with no compensation.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/rYacIeMLwes

View Quote

If you have a drill index, try the small bits in the hole to see how big the roll pin needs to be. It will give you the diameter of the roll pin you need.
A roll pin is a roll pin. ACE Hardware usually has a tremendous selection of them to choose from. The only one they didn't have when I needed one in a hurry was the one for the gas tube on the AR front sight. Everything else from a Sig pistol to a M1A, they had in stock.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn you're old!

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:20:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That said, if you go to a retail store to take the clerks time, finger fuck the merchandise, etc. with the intention of then buying from an online vendor, you've basically stolen service from a business that sells product and service.

The fact that when you get called out as FSA, you call the victim "entitled" is priceless.  What makes you entitled to shop wear someone else's property that you have no intent of ever buying?

The entitled leftist ideology is the notion that you are entitled to take from a business with no compensation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, a couple questions.

Ok guys, let's not derail and lock this nice mans thread, after all the thread is good news! It means he can hunt with his son now!
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:21:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Meh, there's no disappointment a new SR-15 or 30 can't fix....and it will go bang every time.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, a couple questions.

When you're buying a gun, you're not buying a service. You're buying a product. Sure, you're getting customer service, and sure that may help influence whether or not you buy the product, but you're not paying for the service. Skipping out on the bill for a massage, or not paying the guy who stained your deck, or not paying a gunsmith at your local gun shop who fixed an issue with your rifle for you, etc. is theft of service. Wasting a guy's time who is paid to be at work in order to talk to customers about a PRODUCT they're trying to sell them  (gun = product, fixing a gun = service) is absolutely not, in any way, theft of a service.

Is it kind of a dick move? Generally I'd say yes, especially if it's a local gun shop versus a corporate store. But I've also seen gun shops who inflate prices like crazy...handguns $200+ more than other places, and I'd have no qualms whatsoever going there, checking out the selection, and buying somewhere else.

That's how free market capitalism works. If you have a good product at a fair price and good service, you're likely to make a sale. If you have your products priced too high, people will buy them elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:26:37 PM EDT
[#47]
e.g. Best Buy=Amazon's showroom

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:27:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Good job OP!

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:28:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Ok guys, let's not derail and lock this nice mans thread, after all the thread is good news! It means he can hunt with his son now!
View Quote

Absolutely. And he has had his son involved in the project from the word go insuring the kid learned a lot.
Hell, I'm proud to read about him doing this with his son.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:37:30 PM EDT
[#50]
If you get this figured out, post pics of said hunt if you take them.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top