BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By FunnyStar:
Originally Posted By FMJshooter:
"Front suspension" could mean a lot of things.
View Quote

Agreed, I had a 99 Crown Vic, Lower ball joints, shocks, etc. I bet he needed both sides done. Girl at work was quoted over $1K for front brakes. I was stunned at her estimates. I'm so glad I can do a lot of that stuff myself.
View Quote

I have two late 90's panthers as well as an 03+ after they changed the front end to rack and pinion/struts. Both are some of the most stupid easy cars to work on. Gutted both front ends and did full steering/suspension replacements. So much space to work with and parts are cheap. Tell your friend to watch some YouTube videos and get some loaner tools from the auto parts store.

Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:
I told my buddy I would change his alternator if he needed one or he may have asked for that too..
View Quote

5-10 minute job on the panthers.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By UTex86:
I had an ignition coil fail on my truck. I needed it fixed right fuckin now due to work so I took it to the dealership.

$450

A couple weeks later I bought all 8 ignition coils, spark plugs, and plug wires and replaced them all myself in an afternoon.

$390.
View Quote

Yep.  When I did spark plugs at 140k (first change) I proactively changed all my coil packs with new OEM.  But I kept the originals, just in case.  About 3 years later a coil pack failed.  Grabbed one of my 8 spares.  

Zero dollars.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:47:08 PM EDT
[#3]
You can always walk
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

Are you both SURE they were actual Akebono parts and not chinee knockoffs?
View Quote

No, I'm not sure.  I didn't watch them being made by Japanese catgirls or whatever.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:49:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By jackthom8:
wait until you see body/paint prices. boomers are the worst at this and still keep talking about stupid fucking earl schwab
View Quote

Its Earl Schieb.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:55:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I priced fishing guides at a lake close to me. A 5 hour outing for 2 people is $400 minimum. It was about $175 in 2020.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:12:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: S58DRIVER] [#7]
Anyone want to guess on a brake job cost to replace  my Carbon Ceramic's BBK ?
The Carbon BBK  optioned at $9400 ..when new ..
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:40:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I still wrench on all my vehicles and a few friends cars at times.  I don't know how people can afford to buy new cars and pay for all the maintenance and repairs.  

I just did 3 family vehicles last month where all got engine oil and filter change, transmission oil and filter change, air and cabin filters, and steering fluid changed out.   All fluids where full synthetic.   $400ish for all 3 vehicles, including tax and shipping.   250,000, 130,000, and 80,000 miles. Ready for a hot busy summer of driving now.

I did a rear axle seal and bearing replacement in my Silverado last month too.  Which required a differential fluid change and a new cross pin bolt after I found the original had a severe grove worn in it.  $100 in parts.

I have fixed water pumps, idler pulleys, thermostat housings, the pentastar oil filter housing, crankshaft harmonic balancer, alternators, batteries, blower motors, blend door actuators, brake pads and calipers, new brake lines, ball joints,  steering linkages, u joints, shocks and struts, leaf spring and shackle replacement, window switches, coolant line replacements, radiator flushes.... All to save money to help raise 3 kids.  We're at over a million miles on family vehicles since our oldest was born.  I've paid for only 5 repairs and 2 deer strikes the last 18 years.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:06:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:
Akebono for pads
View Quote

Use these across many manufacturers, great value and reliable.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:11:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By olivers_AR:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By olivers_AR:
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:
Akebono for pads

I'm at a point where ''Amazon=fraudulent counterfeit parts'' where auto replacement is involved. Hell, you can't even get a set of NGK's without having a good chance they are chinee cheapo knockoffs.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:12:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By S58DRIVER:
Anyone want to guess on a brake job cost to replace  my Carbon Ceramic's BBK ?
The Carbon BBK  optioned at $9400 ..when new ..
View Quote
Yeah...maybe not quite the option cost..but lots
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:38:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: P400] [#12]
Labor rates are the highest they have ever been. They pretty much have to be, to keep up with the overhead to keep a shop running.

Then parts are doubled or tripled in cost, because labor alone won't cut it. I'm surprised that still flies, as anyone can see the lower prices online. But the markup practice holds up.

Some shops buy better parts up front. They want to fix it once and send it away. Other shops want the cheapest shit possible, and roll the dice on playing the comeback game.

The tool and equipment purchases never end. They just go on forever.

And you get to ruin people's days. All day, every day. Because no one is ever happy to get a surprise bill of thousands of dollars to keep their primary mode of transportation running.

What a miserable business. I'm glad I got out when I did. It just keeps getting worse.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Nearby shop my friend uses told me the owner said they are cherry picking the jobs now because of so many older cars staying on the road now.  People are paying because new car prices are high as hell, interest rates are high and dealerships are still pulling the “market adjustment “ scam.  
I don’t want a new car because of the useless shit they put in them now nor do I want my car gathering my driving data and selling it.  
Unfortunately we will need to keep a newer car for the wife, so they’ll be tracking her bad habits.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Lol, totally not trying to bump the thread….. but….

It’s interesting that we have auto mechanics here that say people expect them to work for free, but…..

My wife’s Traverse has had a leaky rear end for a year now. I’m not capable of replacing the seals and we were rebuilding from a house fire so I just kept filling it…. Finally told her to take it in and get an estimate because I don’t want to be on the hook for her not wanting to fix the problem…

So she took it to Tuffy. Had an oil change and they gave an estimate of $169 to replace the seals and fluid that she passed on to me to see if that was reasonable…. I told her there was no way it was that cheap and to go get clarification.

She came home in a panic with a bill for $4,068, telling her they could get a certified used rear end and install it, that her rear end was burned up from towing, and (lol) that I was overfilling it and that the only time you ever put lube in is when they are making noise. WTF.

That’s how they do a 71 year old woman. Fucking asssholes. The estimate showed the replacement of the box, all the way out to the CV joints and a bunch of ancillary shit she didn’t need…..
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#15]
$3k for that work is the 'I don't work on rust buckets' price.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 11:08:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I know the cost to repair some vehicles has gotten way out of hand, glad im able to fix everything on my own vehicle, from rebuilding the trans to brakes.  I see some of the repair bills on some of the cars i work on and just dont know how some people do it.  Well any of our members here that need repair work done and you are close to where i live, send me a message.  I do some side work.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 11:11:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Lol, totally not trying to bump the thread….. but….

It’s interesting that we have auto mechanics here that say people expect them to work for free, but…..

My wife’s Traverse has had a leaky rear end for a year now. I’m not capable of replacing the seals and we were rebuilding from a house fire so I just kept filling it…. Finally told her to take it in and get an estimate because I don’t want to be on the hook for her not wanting to fix the problem…

So she took it to Tuffy. Had an oil change and they gave an estimate of $169 to replace the seals and fluid that she passed on to me to see if that was reasonable…. I told her there was no way it was that cheap and to go get clarification.

She came home in a panic with a bill for $4,068, telling her they could get a certified used rear end and install it, that her rear end was burned up from towing, and (lol) that I was overfilling it and that the only time you ever put lube in is when they are making noise. WTF.

That’s how they do a 71 year old woman. Fucking asssholes. The estimate showed the replacement of the box, all the way out to the CV joints and a bunch of ancillary shit she didn’t need…..
View Quote

Quick lube places are not mechanics……..
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 11:20:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#18]
Wife's 80K service will be due soon.  Lexus charges $750 for this.  I ordered OEM or OE parts for $150 (including $50 oil filter housing tools.)  That plus $20/$30 in oil will get the job done.

Also bought an aftermarket Gates accessory belt for $20.  Lexus charges $141 for this replacement.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#19]
I've done an almost 180° turn on car repairs...
I used to try and do most maintenance and repairs myself.
I'll still do the occasional oil change, but most other stuff I pay a guy who actually knows what he's doing.
A brake job would probably take me all day.
I drop my car off the night before at my local family garage and he calls me when it's done. Usually before lunch.

I'm lucky to have found a good shop though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 11:25:19 AM EDT
[#20]
The description of the vehicle makes me believe there's a lot of deferred maintenance going on there.

A Crown Vic owned since new is going to have a lot of bushings in the front end that are in need of replacement by now. Maybe a ball joint or two. Brake lines can be corroded. Brake hoses cracking.

An independent shop will likely have a better price but it's still likely to be high because all that stuff likely needs attention.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Lexustech48:

Just used a set of Akebono ceramic pads for my 2001 RAV4. As a former Lexus technician, I was going to buy the Toyota pads but christ they wanted like $130 my price for JUST pads. for $140 I got the Akebono pads and 2 front rotors from Amazon.

Ill say, the pad material is excellent. The backing plate was painfully obviously a multi fit design. I had to file the tabs  to get them to fit and move in the caliper clips. definitely had minimal contact in the bracket and frankly disappointed considering that Akebone and Advics are partially owned by Toyota. Next time, Ill just pony up for the Toyota pads and shims.
View Quote

@Lexustech48
Be careful, lots of counterfeit akebono pads on Amazon. Rockauto is similar price and if you have them shipped to a business, shipping cost is reasonable and not terribly long. I don’t buy auto parts on Amazon anymore unless I’m ok with it being Chinese branded or counterfeit.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 2:42:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By UTex86:
I had an ignition coil fail on my truck. I needed it fixed right fuckin now due to work so I took it to the dealership.

$450

A couple weeks later I bought all 8 ignition coils, spark plugs, and plug wires and replaced them all myself in an afternoon.

$390.
View Quote

What kind of car is that? OE coils for Toyotas would be nearly $1000. GM on Rock Auto look like $400+.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 2:49:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: smarquez] [#23]
I had a catalytic converter fail under warranty earlier this year but the Ford dealership gets $219/hr. Local RV repair place that I really trust gets $195.
Taking a vehicle I own to a shop is like an admission of failure to me. I'll be doing a water pump on my wife's car soon. I'm sure it will be an all day job but I can do it when I'm ready and won't be several days without a car.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By McGuy:

If fucking millenials and zoomers would quit electing communists maybe the sticker shock wouldn't be so bad for the grownups.
View All Quotes
wait until you see body/paint prices. boomers are the worst at this and still keep talking about stupid fucking earl schwab

If fucking millenials and zoomers would quit electing communists maybe the sticker shock wouldn't be so bad for the grownups.

Communists like the ones who took us off the gold standard so they inflate the US dollar or communists like the ones who gave us the new deal?

Link Posted: 5/28/2024 2:54:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#25]
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I was honestly impressed recently by my local mechanic. Dropped off my daughters 100 series land cruiser for what sounded like the a/c blower fan bouncing around in the housing and was prepared for $600+. Figured it would be some part of an assembly and for a now 25yr old Land Cruiser I was gonna get smoked. Picked it up that afternoon and it was $178 parts and labor for the blower motor assembly that included the fan. I was stunned.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Seeing threads like this make my happy that I'm able to have the tools, time, and talent to repair my own vehicles.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 3:13:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Everyone is out to make a buck, and everything else be damned.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Jscott12:
My 03 rangers 4.0 sohc finally died a 270k. I found a used 4.0 with 74k for 1900.00 compression checked w/ 90 day warranty. A local shop installed the thing for 1500.00 plus taxes.  The thing runs great again, was definitely pleasantly surprised by the total cost. There are good local mechanics out there that need your business
View Quote

This is the problem.  There aren't good mechanics that need business - at least not in my AO.  Bad mechanic is $100/hour.  Good mechanic is $120.  We happily pay are diesel mechanic $140.

I have friends that run mechanic shops and they can't find any good help, regardless of what they're paying.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 4:01:13 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 5/28/2024 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By warlord:
Everyone is out to make a buck, and everything else be damned.
View Quote

Isn't that the point of owning a business?
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 4:13:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Just spent twelve hundred bucks in labor to change the heater box in our Liberty so the temperature control would work. The heater box and a heater core were about four fifty as I still get a parts discount from an old coworker during my dealership days. The shop is owned by an old parts customer and,while,he may,not be the cheapest its done right the first time.

Dash had to come out, evacuate and recharge the A/C as the evaporator had to come out too. No way would I have tried to tackle that.

My,Wrangler gets a body shop visit soon, rear corner panel below the taillight is rusting through. A friend has a body shop and even with my buddy discount I’m
looking at 800 bucks labor.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 10:17:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By smarquez:
I had a catalytic converter fail under warranty earlier this year but the Ford dealership gets $219/hr. Local RV repair place that I really trust gets $195.
Taking a vehicle I own to a shop is like an admission of failure to me. I'll be doing a water pump on my wife's car soon. I'm sure it will be an all day job but I can do it when I'm ready and won't be several days without a car.
View Quote

Is it really a failure if you don’t have all the specialized tools or a place to do the work and have a car torn apart for a week while you wait for things to come in the mail?

I’ll take a stab at anything I think I can fix-in fact, I did a water pump on my van last year, 2 hours. I was out of my house for a house fire and had to buy all new tools. In the case of my wife’s rear diff, I’m spending a shitload on tools at a time my life is winding down and won’t want to lay on cold concrete in the winter… That’s not a failure, and plenty of people have reasons for why they can’t or won’t work on a car.

We should be blaming the education system if anything-we had auto shop classes as a kid in highschool in the 1980’s, someone decided that having that shit around meant that there was an alternative route to life other than college so the schools nixed that and now we have soft kids that don’t know how to turn a wrench with little mechanical aptitude.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 10:20:42 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

it's earl scheib, not schwab. don't be a millennial retard.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 10:41:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By macman37:

Get back to us on how much even the parts cost, Mr. Goodwrench.
View Quote

why not ask your hubbie, sweetie?
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 10:49:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Girlieman:
I've done an almost 180  turn on car repairs...
I used to try and do most maintenance and repairs myself.
I'll still do the occasional oil change, but most other stuff I pay a guy who actually knows what he's doing.
A brake job would probably take me all day.
I drop my car off the night before at my local family garage and he calls me when it's done. Usually before lunch.

I'm lucky to have found a good shop though.
View Quote
username checks out

OP; what's crazy is overseas, I don't see nearly the price jump. I had a steak at a VERY nice restaurant in Berlin last month and it was 27 Euros including drinks. In the US it would have easily been $70-$80. I wonder how all this ends with prices in the US being totally disconnected from the outside world.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 10:51:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Your1Savior:

But it's coming...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Your1Savior:
Originally Posted By Dogstar:
And we ain't seen nothing yet.

But it's coming...

You're not Buck19delta!
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 10:51:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Here's a $20 spark plug. The coil connector is $30. What I saved on labor doing them myself, on a V-10, I paid for in blood.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 10:54:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Jeez... $3K for brakes is nasty

New rotors/pads every 3 years, new pads every 18months. By doing it regularly, the shit doesn't rust itself together and I can service it myself.

Buddy has daughter in college. "Yeah dad, I brought it in for new brakes"
"What did they change?"

"Just the fluid"

... pads are now worn completely and pistons are grinding into the rotors.

What a fucking shit show
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 10:57:35 PM EDT
[#40]
At least $100 an hour is factored for labor, parts are sold at a profit.

Local dealerships quote ridiculous prices and when the customer balks, they start to lower the previous bid, as if this is an auction in reverse.

Brake jobs should be done at home. I have done suspension (leaf spring replacements) at home, but they aren't fun.

Link Posted: 5/28/2024 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#41]
I got a sticker shock earlier this year when I had my daughter’s suv towed to a shop for an alternator and battery.  They quoted me $1300.

Turns out most places around me just upped their rates from $140-$160/hr shop rate to $200+

I got it back from the shop and wasted an afternoon putting in a $200 alternator and fixing the leaking power steering line that I think killed the previous alternator.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 11:18:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By m411b30:

We don't pad slap anything. New rotors and pads for everything. Premium.

Just replacing pads is the wrong way. Unless they are also turning the rotors. Which I highly doubt.
View Quote

Depending on year of the crown Vic turning is a real possibility.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#43]

Are you both SURE they were actual Akebono parts and not chinee knockoffs?
View Quote

I bought my pads at NAPA. So, unless they got burned by a shady supplier Id say I got genuine Akebonos.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#44]
"Paint any car, any model for $29.95."
View All Quotes
"Paint any car, any model for $29.95."

1986 Earl Scheib commercial
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Local Chevy dealer gets $225 hr. shop time. Called about a rear main seal replacement on my Tahoe. $2300 with tax and parts... Paid $1420 to repair shop...And today's kids want to go to IVY  League schools so they can make far less than a Trade Serviceman position...Go figure...
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 9:15:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Find a little shop and ask for a price. I see regular $1300 quotes for just brakes from Firestone. My shop will cost you $280+ tax for one side or the other. $560+ tax for both sides.

A home town shop that has been around for 50 or 60 years is what you seek.

ETA: For a complete front end suspension package and brakes on both sides you'd be looking at $1300-$1600. Frost Alignment, Clarksville TN..
View Quote

Unless you want alignment specs that they say I don't need.  I'll never go back there.  I wanted an alignment for doing autocross and they told me I didn't need -2⁰ in the front.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#47]

We don't pad slap anything. New rotors and pads for everything. Premium.

Just replacing pads is the wrong way. Unless they are also turning the rotors. Which I highly doubt.
View Quote

Lol, no.

Rotors are on an as needed basis. You're being disingenuous to say otherwise. I'm running rotors with over 180k highway miles and they have had ceramic pads-which are easy on rotors-the entire time. AND that vehicle towed a boat a lot. Cars don't need rotors with pads every time.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 9:37:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Took an old buddy of mine to get his car fixed, he’s kinda a retired hermit type (but a cool hermit type, he’s a former state pistol champ and flies model airplanes as his only social outlet) and keeps an ancient Crown Vic he’s had since new.

The battery was giving him fits last year so I helped him get another this spring and noticed his terminals were corroded and the positive side was partially dissolved from lot-rot as he doesn’t drive it much. He was adamant that he was ok to clean up the connectors and tighten them down, so I left him to his devices. Fast forward a month and he’s calling this week me to help him out again because his “cheap Chinese battery took a shit on him!”…. I cleaned his terminals and tightened them as best I could and checked the battery voltage….. 12.67v… it fired right up.

He had made arrangements to take it straight to the shop after “I jumped it for him” to get brakes, a front end, and to advise on the battery connections vs. just new cables……

Holy Fuck. They want more than $3,000! For a brake job amd suspension!!

I had no idea I was this out of synch with the times, for me, $2k would have been a lot-and thank goodness I told my buddy I would change his alternator if he needed one or he may have asked for that too..
View Quote

Brother you have no idea
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#49]

You mean like actually cleaning mating surfaces on the caliper and greasing the slide/contact points? It takes just a couple minutes but I'd bet 99% of all [paid] mechanics do as little actual prep and cleaning work as possible but they damn well will charge ''shop material'' fees 100% of the time. I'm an anal little shit in cleaning, lubing, and using proper lubes, sealants or antiseize on bolts and such.
View Quote

Bullshit.  The smart ones absolutely do it right.  Want to know why?  Because if it’s not done right and it comes back, they get to fix it for free until the customer is happy.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Jus228:

Bullshit.  The smart ones absolutely do it right.  Want to know why?  Because if it’s not done right and it comes back, they get to fix it for free until the customer is happy.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jus228:

You mean like actually cleaning mating surfaces on the caliper and greasing the slide/contact points? It takes just a couple minutes but I'd bet 99% of all [paid] mechanics do as little actual prep and cleaning work as possible but they damn well will charge ''shop material'' fees 100% of the time. I'm an anal little shit in cleaning, lubing, and using proper lubes, sealants or antiseize on bolts and such.

The real truth is it depends on the individual. And management.

I have a dude that is just fucking flawless, like zero comebacks, pulls fucking diagrams, the whole nine. Do you think he turns a lot of work?

Funniest part, he's absolutely fantastic, but do the customers like it? Nope. Do the customer facing positions like it to explain why their car wasn't ready on time because he found other stuff? Nope.

So now we have a fantastic tech, doing a really good job, who the customers hate (despite in all their retard rants demanding they can't find a good one) and who I constantly need to protect from customer facing positions for doing their job.

The reality of the matter is most people just don't care and they're clicking fast and cheap of the 3 boxes, then bitching about it. The guys that do cheap and quality are getting run out. Jokes on them, I know who to take my car to for every specialty, including glass and body work.

Never choose fast unless it's an emergency.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top