Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2024 11:17:29 AM EDT
I remain astonished at the capabilities and complexities of these 3-D printers. For example, I was printing something this week, and it seems my Prusa was able to detect that what my heart really desired was... an Afro...

IMG_2479 by Jim QRB, on Flickr

I did not buy this printer to print such things, but I thought it might be interesting to print one of the "Harlot" pistols I had seen posted here. Imagine my surprise when I discovered this simple design incorporated a self-dissassembly feature!

IMG_2481 by Jim QRB, on Flickr

Could have sworn I printed that with 100% infill.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:06:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deerhurst] [#1]
Everyone tells me prusa is infallible.

More to printing than just infill. Judging by the failure is across layer lines and not with them so that is good.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:51:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Not going to lie OP, both seem like PEBKAC errors.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:54:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By crazyelece:
Not going to lie OP, both seem like PEBKAC errors.
View Quote

Agree.

This isn't on Prusa, OP.

I miss details too. First one could have been loading PETG while you meant to load PLA, as an example.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#5]
lol. I have had the filament hairball more than once.

But my ancient XYZ doesnt have a heated bed.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:31:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: QRB] [#6]
No, I am not laying any blame on the equipment, and my Prusa has performed exceedingly well. I was just trying to make light of a couple failures I had this week.

The hairball was a result of trying to print a very tall cylindrical object with a fairly small footprint. It was a long print, and it lost its grip on the build surface after I went to bed at about 02:00.

The Harlot failure is on me as well. I printed all the parts I presumed to be under greatest stress out of pla plus. The two frame side panels were of plain pla, and I really thought I had printed them at 100% infill, but looking at the break, that was not the case.

I reprinted in pla plus at 100%, and test fire (supressed) was uneventful and giggle inducing.

I just thought some of you might laugh along with me at my screwup this week. And, being an old guy, I'm not fluent in acronyms. If "PEBKAC" means I'm a dumbass, yup, you're spot on!
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By QRB:
No, I am not laying any blame on the equipment, and my Prusa has performed exceedingly well. I was just trying to make light of a couple failures I had this week.

The hairball was a result of trying to print a very tall cylindrical object with a fairly small footprint. It was a long print, and it lost its grip on the build surface after I went to bed at about 02:00.

The Harlot failure is on me as well. I printed all the parts I presumed to be under greatest stress out of pla plus. The two frame side panels were of plain pla, and I really thought I had printed them at 100% infill, but looking at the break, that was not the case.

I reprinted in pla plus at 100%, and test fire (supressed) was uneventful and giggle inducing.

I just thought some of you might laugh along with me at my screwup this week.
View Quote

Key is turning acceleration down on those tall, skinny prints.

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:36:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/20221114_110444_jpg-2599693.JPG
View Quote

EXCELLENT tip! Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By QRB:

EXCELLENT tip! Thanks!!!
View Quote

That print I think I had set to 250mm/s2

I printed three of them in a row, all came out fine.

It's the dowel for my 5kg spool holder I designed.

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 1:13:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/20221114_110444_jpg-2599693.JPG
View Quote

I always found if possible that a raft was the best for tall skinny prints plus turning down acceleration.
Top Top