Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2016 5:03:12 AM EDT
Has anyone tried any of the shave clubs out there? ie. Dollar shave club, Henry's (or some shit)? I shave my head and do it every two or three days with a Gillette fusion proglide, non-power. Done it for 5 years and the cartridges just keep getting more and more expensive. I think I paid $35 for 8 cartridges at target on sale. I see. Bigger packages around the same price on eBay but figured I'd reach out on the shave clubs to see if they are really worth it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:48:15 AM EDT
[#1]
If you're considering Dollar Shave Club, don't bother. You can get cheaper prices directly from the manufacturer: Dorco.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're considering Dollar Shave Club, don't bother. You can get cheaper prices directly from the manufacturer: Dorco.
View Quote

Personna is another decent "generic" manufacturer.  "Shave clubs" are a middleman between the customer and a generic.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#3]
You might want to take a look at the Gillette Guard. Its a good low cost razor that is sold and marketed in India. There are a few US online retailers that have them or you can get them cheaper on ebay from sellers in India.

https://www.pg.com/en_US/downloads/innovation/factsheet_final_Gillette_Guard.pdf
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Nothing but overpriced rebadged Dorco you could buy cheaper at the grocery store.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You might want to take a look at the Gillette Guard. Its a good low cost razor that is sold and marketed in India. There are a few US online retailers that have them or you can get them cheaper on ebay from sellers in India.

https://www.pg.com/en_US/downloads/innovation/factsheet_final_Gillette_Guard.pdf
View Quote

That is Gillettes attempt to break multiblades into the huge Indian market where Double Edged Razors are king.

Take a cue from the Indians and learn to use a double edged safety razor.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That is Gillettes attempt to break multiblades into the huge Indian market where Double Edged Razors are king.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I pay between $12 and $20 for boxes of 100 DE blades. They're so cheap that I use them once on my face, once on my head, and then throw them away. Yes it's wasteful, but it's still way cheaper than those multi-blade disposable razors.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 11:37:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you absolutely set on cartridge razors?    If you're not interested in a straight razor or shavette, a Double Edge razor is the next cheapest route.   Similar to a straight razors, DE razors and blades vary wildly in how they perform and if you make a bad combo the resulting shave tends to be an awful experience (razor burn at a minimum...).   I personally like the Gillette Slim Adjustable Razor as it lets me dial in the aggressiveness of the blade (I'm usually set at >7).  It is also worth mentioning that there are several brands of DE blades and their sharpness/performance varies.   Most folks find it a good investment to purchase a combo/assortment pack of blades from an online vendor to try out a few to find one that works best for them.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 4:15:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are you absolutely set on cartridge razors?    If you're not interested in a straight razor or shavette, a Double Edge razor is the next cheapest route.   Similar to a straight razors, DE razors and blades vary wildly in how they perform and if you make a bad combo the resulting shave tends to be an awful experience (razor burn at a minimum...).   I personally like the Gillette Slim Adjustable Razor as it lets me dial in the aggressiveness of the blade (I'm usually set at >7).  It is also worth mentioning that there are several brands of DE blades and their sharpness/performance varies.   Most folks find it a good investment to purchase a combo/assortment pack of blades from an online vendor to try out a few to find one that works best for them.
View Quote

You're on the high end of the Slim.  If you ever decide you want a newer razor, the Merkur Futur starts around there and goes up to "potato peeler".
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 8:44:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I just started DE shaving. AKA Wet Shaving a couple of months ago.  I will NEVER go back to cartridge razors.   I bought a set on-line with a sampler pack of blades.  A good blade has been lasting about a week.  A poor blade 2 shaves.  (I shave 6-7 times a week.)   There are a ton of options.  I like that my wife likes the different soaps that are available for your face.  It takes a little longer to shave, but well worth it in my opinion.  

Like you I got real tired of paying exorbitant prices for blades that are crappy.  I did the Shave Club thing and their blades are not very good.  I would only use them in a dire emergency.  

Just my .02
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 10:09:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I haven't been involved with a shave club, but quit buying cartridge razors going on 6 yrs ago. I ran into a website called Badger and Blade. They are geared towards shaving in general,  but overall "prefer" the old school method.
I shave (primarily) with a straight razor now, but in the beginning started (as did pigmypuncher) with a Gillette Slim Adjustable DE razor. I still use it if time is a factor, as no one would recommend whipping a straight razor around the neckline to save time.
It's certainly not for everyone,  and with the straight's there's a learning curve. That Gillette works great, and if you have some antique stores near you....might get lucky and find one like I did for 5 bucks.
The Badger and Blade has an EE as well, where you can find some nice DE razors for a decent price if you want to get your feet wet.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:00:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I tried Dorco and didn't like it much.  Blades didn't last long and seemed cheap.  I tried Harrys and I really like them.  For $10 you get the shaver, two or three cartridges, and a bottle of shave lotion/cream.  The shaver is great quality, feels good in the hand and the cartridges are sharp and last a long time.  When you reorder the cartridges are $2 each with free shipping.  I think they have a club membership thing too, but I just order when needed.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Dollar Shave Club has worked for me, same for Dollar Beard Club great advertising, good customer service and shipping. I don't go all out just get some bare minimum stuff, razors and shave  butter, and beard oil from the other.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Hart Steel straight razor, followed by a Merkur 38C with Isralei Personna blades for the trouble spots.

Proraso pre-shave and shaving soap, Nievea post-shave balm, all for sensitive skin. (I get razor burn easy)

With as thick as my facial hair is, I hone the SR about once every 6-8 months, and use one blade in the safety razor per week.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I gifted Harry's to the SO for Christmas. I figured if he hated it, I could always use the razor and blades myself.  He was using a Gillette.
Top Top