Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2013 6:59:55 PM EDT
One of my double majors is Poly Sci. The same classes that I have to take for Poly Sci also count for Homeland Security. Would I need to take all new classes to meet the requirments for HS or would my classes for Poly Sci cover the requirment.

I am not done yet. 5 classes left for AA, 5 left for Poly Sci, too many left to think about for Finance.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I would think no, they should count toward both.  Wouldn't make any sense to retake them.  But you should check with your advisor and have your course schedule planned out years in advance.  If you don't do that, you will inevitably try to graduate but be missing one or two classes and unsure how to pick them up.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I would think no, they should count toward both.  Wouldn't make any sense to retake them.  But you should check with your advisor and have your course schedule planned out years in advance.  If you don't do that, you will inevitably try to graduate but be missing one or two classes and unsure how to pick them up.

I am just thinking of the future. Double Major in Poly Sci and Finance now. It will take me at least 3 to 4 more years to complete that.

I was thinking about getting a minor in ECON or Homland Security or even something else. I would only decide this when I would be a few classes away from completing my double major.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 7:25:21 PM EDT
[#3]
That will probably depend on the university. I doubled up a bunch of classes for my two degrees. Talk to your advisor and/or the registrars office. They will be the ones to set this straight.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That will probably depend on the university. I doubled up a bunch of classes for my two degrees. Talk to your advisor and/or the registrars office. They will be the ones to set this straight.

I will do that once I finish my general ed requirments later this year.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 8:45:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Probably what you would wind up with is being able to take a bunch of electives to compensate for the classes that are doubled.
Link Posted: 5/13/2013 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#6]
At my university one class can count towards alot of different majors.  I took biochemistry for an elective, but I could use it towards a minor or a second bachelors in biochemistry.  It was also an "upper division" course, which would fill that requirement for any major, even education or criminal justice.  So if the classes you're taking are required for another major, they should apply to that degree without retaking them.  I've got 130 credits now, I feel like I should have about 5 degrees.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
At my university one class can count towards alot of different majors.  I took biochemistry for an elective, but I could use it towards a minor or a second bachelors in biochemistry.  It was also an "upper division" course, which would fill that requirement for any major, even education or criminal justice.  So if the classes you're taking are required for another major, they should apply to that degree without retaking them.  I've got 130 credits now, I feel like I should have about 5 degrees.

Yup, same here.  I got my BS in Chemistry.  The math classes I took (Calc 1, 2, 3, Differential Equations, and Linear Algebra) would have all counted towards a math minor or a math degree if I took more math.  But I was done with math.  I think it's much easier if you do the different majors from the same school versus trying to transfer those credits and getting another degree from another school.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 3:59:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Only your registrar can give you a definitive answer. And unless he/she can point out the appropriate written word in their policies and procedures manual, you should get a written, signed statement supporting your position--two copies--one for you and one for your file. The people change so often in those jobs, that someone's "opinion" today might be worthless a year from now.
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 1:04:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
you should get a written, signed statement supporting your position--two copies--one for you and one for your file. The people change so often in those jobs, that someone's "opinion" today might be worthless a year from now.

This.  Usually, they count towards whatever degree requires them, but document every encounter with college administration to be on the safe side.  Get everything in writing or via email.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Typically, yes. If a course meets requirements for two majors, it can be used for those requirements for both majors. I needed to take 1 additional class to get my Econ minor outside of ones which I already had taken.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top