Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2016 9:44:31 PM EDT

Good crusty bread (toasted ciabatta is good)
Leaf lettuce and sliced tomatoes
thinly sliced sharp cheddar
a bit of room temperature butter
Vegemite

I mix a bit of Vegemite (or Marmite) with the butter to make a spread to put on both slices of bread. Not too much. A thin layer of cheddar. LOTS of 'mater slices and a goodly amount of lettuce.

Good stuff.

Kraft Foods Australia

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:33:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Love the song, have no desire to eat any Vegemite.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:31:36 PM EDT
[#2]
They have Marmite here in New Zealand, it's disgusting. The first ingredient is yeast paste. No thanks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-zPBPMpzbo68/UOiY3GlCYPI/AAAAAAAAAf8/fTY5KExftE4/s1600/men-at-work-land-down-under-vegemite-sandwich-meme.jpg

Good crusty bread (toasted ciabatta is good)
Leaf lettuce and sliced tomatoes
thinly sliced sharp cheddar
a bit of room temperature butter
Vegemite

I mix a bit of Vegemite (or Marmite) with the butter to make a spread to put on both slices of bread. Not too much. A thin layer of cheddar. LOTS of 'mater slices and a goodly amount of lettuce.

Good stuff.

Kraft Foods Australia

View Quote

Disgusting stuff.  I dated an Aussie girl for a couple of years.  She loved it, but I couldn't see the appeal.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Philistines, all of you.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#5]
It's just not good. It's really not.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Philistines, all of you.
View Quote

I have given it more than one good try.  I had the real stuff prepared by an Aussie.  it still sucked.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#7]
The first time I tried it was at a Land Rover 4wheeling event here in the USA.  I thought it was toast with Apple butter in it.  Talk about a rude awakening.  

Later on I got so I liked it but it's definitely one of those polarizing foods.  You either love it or hate it.  There is no changing opinions on it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The first time I tried it was at a Land Rover 4wheeling event here in the USA.  I thought it was toast with Apple butter in it.  Talk about a rude awakening.  

Later on I got so I liked it but it's definitely one of those polarizing foods.  You either love it or hate it.  There is no changing opinions on it.
View Quote

I used to hear it called "Australian Peanut Butter". Uh, no. No one...at least no one in their right mind...would use it as liberally as that.

I use it sparingly like a pea-sized bit on a buttered English muffin or piece of toast; It's really salty so I just use enough to get that umami thing going.

My present jar of Vegemite (220g) was purchased four years ago I've still got a bit left.

Maybe it's just a placebo effect but I swear the B vitamins in it give me a mental "lift".
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:47:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I still need to try it. Not sure if I will love it or hate it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#10]
The British guy I know who eats it mixes it in pretty evenly with his butter on toast.  A little goes a long ways.  His American born kid supposedly loves it but he has eaten it since a baby practically.  I don't think it's a good that wins many adult converts.  I like it but I'll freely admit it's gross. Lol. I like to say it's just one of those odd things like seaweed salad, gross but good.  I really can't explain it.

It's like eating a yeast beef bullion paste.  

You can use it as a broth base and for other stuff too it doesn't have to be a condiment.
Top Top