Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2014 4:31:25 AM EDT
No access to a grill right now but ive got 4 nice size steaks in marinate..What is the best way to cook and not turn out like shoe leather.

And yes, im serious. I only grill meat and bake fish, not much inbetween.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:35:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Sear on stove top.
Finish in 500 degree oven.

Just did this last week with some filets.  It was a success.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:41:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sear on stove top.

View Quote

How long in the oven?

Do I cover it or wrap it or just let it sit open on a cookie sheet type pan?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:43:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Google alton brown method. For med rare about 5 min total cook time.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:01:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sear on stove top.

View Quote

In cast iron pan too
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:02:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sear on stove top.

View Quote

I find that cooking first and searing last produces a juicer steak.

Also, if you put the pan in the oven with the steak (remove with hot-pot holder), it will sear up nicer.

Typically around 6 mins at 500, then 3 mins on high on the cooktop.  

I use a mix of soy sauce, salt, pepper, garlic, olive oil, and bourbon as my marinade.

i use stainless, not cast
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:02:32 AM EDT
[#6]
If you have a large cast iron skillet or griddle

Heat pan / griddle in oven to about 500 if your oven will go that hot. Place pan as close to broiler as possible ( heat from top )

Depends on how thick the steaks are , but I would go with about 2—3 mins per side. The cast iron holds heat and will sear the meat well and seal in juices

Let meat rest at least 5 mins before serving . This allows juices to evenly distribute and finish cooking.

If you need more cook , leave sit in pan for a couple of more minutes

I like to use some real butter on the top of the meat when it rests , finish with a pinch of kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:03:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

In cast iron pan too
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sear on stove top.

In cast iron pan too

Working on my collection, just have 14" Wagner and a Bean Pot right now. Both need seasoned.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:11:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By die-tryin

Working on my collection, just have 14" Wagner and a Bean Pot right now. Both need seasoned.
View Quote

Scrub it up with boiling water. No soap just a bit of water. Coat it in bacon grease. Bake at 350 for 3 hours. Check it and wipe the grease around to keep it evenly distributed.

Soap never touches your cast iron ever. To clean you get it hot and wipe it out with a wet cloth.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:14:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Cook green make a solar grill.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:19:07 AM EDT
[#10]
season them up! Peanut oil was my go to.
cast iron is the way to go for me.
I can't afford heavy copper.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:23:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

This. The rare occasions when we make steaks, this is how we do it. Even the crappy steaks that my good-intentioned in-laws bring come out reasonable when cooked like this.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:29:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This. The rare occasions when we make steaks, this is how we do it. Even the crappy steaks that my good-intentioned in-laws bring come out reasonable when cooked like this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just looked it up, seems simple enough.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:31:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I never cook my steak on a grill.  Always use a skillet.  Sear 2min on each side than com for one or two extra minutes on each side.  Perfect.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#14]
i use the charcoal chimney. alton did this,too and trust me, it's the only way i cook steaks now.eta: white box for effect
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I never cook my steak on a grill.  Always use a skillet.  Sear 2min on each side than com for one or two extra minutes on each side.  Perfect.
View Quote

I just cooked the steak turned out great except the house filled with smoke. Ive got everyone window in the place opened up.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:00:49 PM EDT
[#16]
When it's too cold or my grill is buried in snow, I've had fairly good luck just doing ribeyes on the stovetop in a regular pan.

Take the steaks out of the frig and season with salt and pepper and let them come up towards room temp a little.

Pan on the stove on medium high heat to get warm.

Melt some butter in the pan and put in some minced garlic to taste

For a fairly thick ribeye (1" to 1 1/4") 5 minutes on a side at medium high heat comes out medium rare.  As the steak is cooking every so often I'll spoon some of the melted butter and garlic over the top of the steak.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sear on stove top.

View Quote

This should work!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I just cooked the steak turned out great except the house filled with smoke. Ive got everyone window in the place opened up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always open the windows, turn the fans on, and unplug the smoke detectors. Totally worth it though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:11:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I have not had good luck with my recent Lodge skillet.  Bought at walmart and despite repeated seasons and other tricks, it was still a gritty surface and food stuck despite generous butter/bacon grease.

Is stainless steel good for up to 500 degrees in the oven or does it just vary by make/model?  I'd like to eventually find a nice cast iron at a garage sale or something but for now I just really don't feel like messing with it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:29:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Scrub it up with boiling water. No soap just a bit of water. Coat it in bacon grease. Bake at 350 for 3 hours. Check it and wipe the grease around to keep it evenly distributed.

Soap never touches your cast iron ever. To clean you get it hot and wipe it out with a wet cloth.
View Quote

Bake it upside-down on the rack, with a sheet of foil below it on a lower rack. That will prevent any pooling if you put too much oil/grease on it and promote an even coat on the cooking surface.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:32:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

FTW
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ5L6lBA430

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:13:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I can't believe not one mention of using the broiler. What a shame, basically an upside down grill.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 5:46:04 AM EDT
[#24]
alton brown cast iron steak it takes about 7 min very tasty.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 5:54:51 AM EDT
[#25]
If thawed, iron skillet with top lid, 2 minutes each side max.
assuming you like your meat seared & cool-to-warm on the inside.

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:00:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Originally Posted By die-tryin

I've been using PAM (Canola Oil) to coat my cast iron after a hot water scrub.  The seasoning just keeps getting better and better.

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:01:58 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL, I bought a box fan that goes in an opened kitchen window.

Neighbors think my house in on fire - until they smell the delicious steak vapors.

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 7:54:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Clean out an ice chest.  Fill with 130F water.  Put steak in a ziplock bag, submerge in water to squeeze out the air, seal ziplock, submerge in the hot water.  Put a thermometer in the water, add hot water to keep it at 130F as needed, won't be necessary to do often with a decent ice chest.  Wait a couple of hours, remove steak, use a blow torch to sear it.

Sous vide on the cheap.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I find that cooking first and searing last produces a juicer steak.

View Quote

+1 Most people have no idea how to truly a cook a steak to yield the max amount of juicy med-rare meat in the middle but still get that nice brown crust on the outside... If their steaks are thinner than 1" they've already started wrong... but can do ok with just a hot, fast sear on both sides. For thick steaks low & slow up to 10-15 degree under desired internal temp then quick sear on both sides = perfect steak....
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Some dude in here will poach it for you...

TXL
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#31]
LoL

Tried it again..followed this one

http://www.wikihow.com/Pan-Sear-a-Steak

I had less smoke this time and it turned out perfect, seared up a T-Bone.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top