Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2017 6:57:51 PM EDT
I have 2 kittens about 5 months old, and one or both of them farts. All the time. It's one of the worst smells I've ever smelled in my life. It's hard to tell if it's only  one of them because they're almost identical (siblings) and sometimes one will be on my lap and I don't know which one it is. So let's assume both. I've tried 4 or 5 different dry foods, Purina, Wysong, Diamond Naturals, others recommended by my vet, and nothing has had any effect on his reeking bowels. Turds are firm, maybe a little on the soft side now & then, no diarrhea unless they eat too much wet food (only given as treats now & then.) They don't get milk or any dairy products so I don't think it's lactose intolerance. In every other way I can think of they're 100% normal - activity, how much and how often they eat, how often they shit (a lot, and also very stinky.) It may happen a little more often during play or other activity, and when I pick them up. No evidence of worms, I haven't seen any butt drags being done on the carpet and no rice around the bunghole. Any ideas? Vet visits for shots & neutering are probably a couple months down the road but I can take them sooner if I have to.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#1]
POOP THREAD... having a lot of different foods might also make them do that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:22:23 PM EDT
[#2]
We have two kittens, almost 6 months now and their farts and turds smelled worse than anything I can describe.

Apparently this is normal for kittens. I even built a cat door in the room that kept the litter because one turd would stink up the entire house.  

We tried a bunch of different soft and hard foods. It all stunk like, well, shit.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:26:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
POOP THREAD... having a lot of different foods might also make them do that.
View Quote

Well I started changing foods because of how bad they smelled on their first food (Diamond.) I went a few weeks on each new one to give their bellies time to adapt. I asked because I've raised somewhere around 20 cats from kittens and have NEVER had any that smelled this bad so often.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I do a half can of the blue kitten formula wet food in the morning and the blue kitten formula kibble during the day.  The wild stuff cause its grain free.  No problems with my two little angels
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:56:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 2/1/2017 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#8]

This asshole is 5 and he will crop dust the ever-living hell out of our bedroom at night when we are trying to get to sleep.

And not only does he fart like a chili eating contest winner, he snores like a 2 cycle engine. Mouth open, laying sprawled out snoring like a saw mill as he blows ass like a fat kid full of funnel cake.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:30:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I would suspect fool allergy.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:33:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would suspect fool allergy.
View Quote

That was one of my original thoughts, but in the 3 months I've had them I've used several foods and none of them changed anything. I did see the one I think does most of the farting doing the sit & drag the other day, though, so it looks like they have worms. Maybe that, along with running all day long and shaking the contents of their guts up, causes gas.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:43:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That was one of my original thoughts, but in the 3 months I've had them I've used several foods and none of them changed anything. I did see the one I think does most of the farting doing the sit & drag the other day, though, so it looks like they have worms. Maybe that, along with running all day long and shaking the contents of their guts up, causes gas.
View Quote

If they go outside then worms is very probable.  Especially tape worms.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#12]
They don't, but 4 of mine do and their mother did, too. I guess I'll pick up some Vectra (I think?) from the vet tomorrow. Strange that he's the only one who does it, though.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 3:33:20 PM EDT
[#13]
My black DSH had diarrhea and gas when she was about that age.

The one thing that worked was switching her over to grain-free cat food. Wellness CORE ever since.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My black DSH had diarrhea and gas when she was about that age.

The one thing that worked was switching her over to grain-free cat food. Wellness CORE ever since.
View Quote
Yes, try a grain free food.

Also, if they will take dairy as a treat, try a live culture yogurt a couple times a day. Just enough to lick off a spoon in about 10 - 15 seconds.

It could be they just got an unsuitable batch of gut bacteria.... changing it up might help some.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes, try a grain free food.

Also, if they will take dairy as a treat, try a live culture yogurt a couple times a day. Just enough to lick off a spoon in about 10 - 15 seconds.

It could be they just got an unsuitable batch of gut bacteria.... changing it up might help some.
View Quote

Just not Blue Buffalo.  Apparently they lie about whats in the food they make.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top