Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2017 11:56:32 PM EDT
As the title says looking to read a few books on Team Management, Management and leadership this year.

Thanks in advance for your input and suggestions.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 2:05:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 3:51:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Take a look at the books written by John C. Maxwell. He is one of my favorite authors on leadership.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:26:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies. I have read a few by John C. Maxwell and I agree he is great. Been thinking about getting Good to Great as well.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:12:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Anatomy of Glory about Napoleon and the Imperial Guard.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:49:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Extreme Ownership- Jacko Willink and Leif Babin.

J-
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:54:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Management 3.0, Mythical Man Month, Slack, Drive and the 5 Dysfunctions of a team
I watch this video with every new team I work with.

https://youtu.be/inftqUOLFaM
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:47:38 PM EDT
[#7]
James Collins "Good To Great"

Edit: I May have an extra copy at the office, I will look on Monday. If I do I will get it to you. I will IM you if i do.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 12:14:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Machiavelli.  

The Open Organization*

*Yes i work there
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#9]
The Mission, The Men, and Me
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 10:20:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
As the title says looking to read a few books on Team Management, Management and leadership this year.

Thanks in advance for your input and suggestions.
View Quote

Management skills of
" Atilla The Hun"  great read informative.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:52:54 PM EDT
[#11]
good stuff here - thanks guys!
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Robert K. Greenleaf - servant leadership
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Find the list of 30 books marine leaders should read.

Txl
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:23:06 AM EDT
[#15]
For my bachelor's we had to read a ton of leadership books.  My favorites were
--Leadership, a communication perspective (Hackman and Johnson).
--Practicing leadership, principles and application (Shriberg and Shriberg).
--Strengths based leadership (by Gallup)
--above mentioned servant leadership based on Greenleaf.

I also read "good to great" and did not think I was very helpful.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#16]
The Phoenix Project
The 5 Dysfunctions of a Team
Management 3.0
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:07:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Just watched the youtube video above about the 5 dysfunctions of a team and got a lot out of it. Will definitely get the book and share that with my team. Thanks. Any other input is appreciated!
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:24:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I have not read these ones yet, but a friend gave the following books strong recommendations:

The Phoenix Project by Kim, Behr, Spafford
Give and Take by Grant
Turn the Ship Around! by Marquet
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#20]
As much as I hate these books. The best one I read was the OZ Principal.  A very good read and great insight into the Enron failure.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Team of Teams.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Mintzberg, et. al., Harvard Business Review on Leadership
Peter F. Drucker, The Effective Executive
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:09:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I know this sounds odd, but years ago, there was a series of books on managing people written as if they were written by people like Ghengis Khan, or Atilla the Hun.  The books used history, but were really interesting culturally as well as about how to lead people.  You really can't conquer as well as Ghengis Khan or Atilla did without being very good at leading organizations.

Also, in Sun Tzu's "The Art of War", Sun Tzu was asked by the emperor how to lead.  Sun Tzu said that the biggest problem with leaders is that they don't make their expectations, rewards, or punishments very clear.  The emperor asked what he meant, so Sun Tzu said he would demonstrate.

Sun Tzu gathered 100 of the emperor's concubines together, and separated them into groups of ten.  He then selected one from each group of ten, and brought them forward.  He told them that the following instructions are very important, and to listen carefully.  Sun Tzu then told them that they were to return to their groups and tell the rest of the group that when the drum sounds, face right, and when the horn sounds face left.  The concubines giggled, and twittered, and Sun Tzu asked if there were any questions about his instructions, and there were no questions.

The concubines went back to their groups, the drum sounded, and there was no response, the horn sounded, and again there was no response.  Sun Tzu then told the emperor to pay close attention.  He brought the ten concubines who received the instructions forward again, and had them all beheaded.  The emperor was appalled, but Sun Tzu asked for his patience.  

Again, Sun Tzu brought forward another ten concubines, and repeated the instructions.  The concubines were asked if there were any questions, and there no questions.....there was also no giggling or twittering.  The concubines were sent back to the other eight of their group.

The drum sounded and all concubines immediately faced right, the horn sounded and all concubines immediately faced left.  Sun Tzu then told the emperor that the it is the fault of the generals and other leaders to give clear instructions with regard to expectations, rewards and punishments that causes so much confusion.  Now the emperor understood.

The Art of War, and A Book of Five Rings (By Miyamoto Musashi) are not just about war or sword fighting.  They are about life lessons and how to succeed....they are mandatory reading for many major asian companies because the lessons apply not only to fighting, but to business, leadership, and life in general.

Business and leadership are merely warfare without shooting.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top