BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Page / 38
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Page 51.

Hard to believe that this thread is still going.  Thanks to all who contribute to it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#3]
The exploration of the Grand Canyon by John Wesley Powell was one of the last great expeditions on the continental United States. Powell filled in a large blank spot on the map of the western United States. Powell wrote about his journey and some of the prose from those journals are legendary. OTOH, his journals can be a little tedious at times. Powell also didn't write his books until many years after his trips and he sometimes confuses events between the two trips.

On his second trip, one of the crew members was a teenager by the name of Fredrick Dellenbaugh who kept a journal of his experiences. Overall it is a much better read and a little more accurate than Powell's. Delllenbaugh went on to become a serious explorer in his own right and participated in many notorious expeditions of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

If you've never been to the Grand Canyon, go. If you've been but only seen it from the rim, go down inside. If you've been inside but not on the river, go run it. The only way to see The canyon is from the bottom looking up.

A Canyon Voyage
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 7:05:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Indian special forces thriller

been a tough week for free books.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 7:25:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 8:55:49 AM EDT
[#11]
paleo bread, herbs, early SF, Bob Mayer Thriller

The Bob Mayer work is one I bought a few years ago and really liked. I gave it a 5 star review.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Bob Mayer Eyes of the hammer Green Berets book 1

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TXOK46/ref=pe_385040_117923520_TE_M1T1DP

ETA: woops this one is mentioned in Bobs post above.  Thanks Bob, Haven, and all those that keep this thread going!
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Just saw this one:

Apocalypse/Survival Book
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#16]
airport thriller

This is free for now, but won't be released until tomorrow for some reason.

I edited my post to include a SF title from today's Bookbub selections.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Heads on on another source of free books.   http://www.reddit.com/r/eFreebies/

This place on Reddit has a lot of free Kindle books popping up as well as apps.  Occasionally there are PC games and other things too.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:15:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 8:14:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Travis McGee is  running the EFAD trilogy for free for 3 days.

The 2nd book is especially poignant these days. The link is to his home page and each book is listed.

Matthew Bracken Amazon Home Page

Also noteworthy is that Castigo Cay and the Bracken Anthology are free right now too.

Get some!
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 8:21:13 AM EDT
[#24]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The 2nd book is especially poignant these days. The link is to his home page and each book is listed.

Also noteworthy is that Castigo Cay and the Bracken Anthology are free right now too.

Get some!
View Quote

Looks like they're not so much free, as free to read IF you join Amazon Prime.  Still not free to own.  Good books, though.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 8:26:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Looks like they're not so much free, as free to read IF you join Amazon Prime.  Still not free to own.  Good books, though.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get some!

Not listed as free today, but Matt has said he is running another free week soon.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 8:51:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not listed as free today, but Matt has said he is running another free week soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get some!

He said on FB they would be free starting tomorrow and run through Wednesday.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get some!

The anthology is free today, but not the other one. I have read the anthology and while there were a few good chunks, I was overall not that thrilled. OK, but nothing all that great. But for free, it is hard to complain too much about it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:02:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The anthology is free today, but not the other one. I have read the anthology and while there were a few good chunks, I was overall not that thrilled. OK, but nothing all that great. But for free, it is hard to complain too much about it.
View Quote

That's pretty much how I came out after reading Bracken Anthology. Finally got around to finishing it last week after downloading it ages ago when it was free. Just didn't draw me in like his books, because its basically a collection of his articles, short stories and other writings. Has some good nuggets of info interspersed amongst other stuff that I found not so interesting to read.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#33]
From an Arfcom'er. http://www.amazon.com/Book-Girl-Bedtime-Tales-Apocalypse-ebook/dp/B00F4I196W/

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1644394

Beat by adversor but going to leave amazon link

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 9:00:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That's pretty much how I came out after reading Bracken Anthology. Finally got around to finishing it last week after downloading it ages ago when it was free. Just didn't draw me in like his books, because its basically a collection of his articles, short stories and other writings. Has some good nuggets of info interspersed amongst other stuff that I found not so interesting to read.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tonight at midnight through Monday

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1644341_.html

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:16:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:26:49 AM EDT
[#38]
http://ilbob.blogspot.com/2014/07/free-kindle-books-7-15-14.html

Today's post includes Brackens books, a paleo recipe book, and some gardening books.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:38:11 AM EDT
[#41]
If you haven't read it (which I haven't) A Hymn before battle by John Ringo is free today

http://www.amazon.com/Hymn-Before-Battle-Legacy-Aldenata-ebook/dp/B00BEQP50Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1405611410&sr=1-1&keywords=hymn+before+battle

Forgot to mention, Gust Front and the first two Council wars books are free today as well.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If you haven't read it (which I haven't) A Hymn before battle by John Ringo is free today

http://www.amazon.com/Hymn-Before-Battle-Legacy-Aldenata-ebook/dp/B00BEQP50Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1405611410&sr=1-1&keywords=hymn+before+battle

Forgot to mention, Gust Front and the first two Council wars books are free today as well.
View Quote

All these are required reading and if you miss them on amazon they're on Baen's free library.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

All these are required reading and if you miss them on amazon they're on Baen's free library.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're someone needing audible books, don't miss this part:

Whispersync for Voice

Switch back and forth between reading the Kindle book and listening to the Audible narration. Add narration for a reduced price of $1.99 after you buy the Kindle book.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#44]

don't wste you time dl'ing the 52 games . The "innovative and Informative"" ideas in the book are things from back in H.S.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 8:12:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Might as well put up links to them.

Gust Front (Legacy of the Aldenata Book 2)
There Will be Dragons (Council Wars Book 1)
Emerald Sea (Council Wars Book 2)
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:13:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Page / 38
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top