Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2015 12:37:31 AM EDT
Preface: I'm not a singer. I am, however, someone who has always wanted vocal effects for backup vocals, side vocals (call and response), and moments when I am up front singing. I am also going to be singing in my band soon, and, although I don't consider myself a singer, it's where we are at right now.

So, I bought a TC Helicon Voicelive Play. I've had it since Monday and I think I have a good enough grasp of the product to give a solid opinion on it.

Initial impressions: The presets are either way over the top or too subtle to the point you can't really tell anything is there. In the 234 presets, I only found 4 that were of use. It's not really an issue for me because everything is programmable. Further there are a total of 500 total save places, so you'll never run out of room.

The pedal has some very nice features. There are THREE ways to change patches: Knob, gummy button, and stomp button. The casing is metal and the stomps feel nice.

There are 234 presets and 500 total spaces for sounds. You can change and save over any of the presets if you want. There is also a third button, called the "Hit" button. You can use this to turn on and off preset things. For example, if you only want harmony during a segment of a song, you just hit it when you need it. You can also tap the tempo of a song for delay. If you hold the hit button down for a little bit it dumps all of the effects and leaves you with a blank slate. This is really nice if you're speaking to a crowd in between songs.

After a few days: This pedal is great if you create your own effects. Messing around, I've been able to get a decent Peter Steele style vocal sound (I don't have a deep voice, and in the mix it sounds very real), a pitch perfect version of Technologic by Daft Punk, Alt-J style vocal ensemble's, Van Halen style Vocal Ensembles, White Limo by the Foo Fighters (really just a bunch of distortion)... just lots of stuff.

I've got a few 'sounds' I'll be using at practice this weekend. Being able to add an extremely quiet fifth or seventh lower is god damned heavenly in the mix, especially with a scream, growl, or gruff vocal. The pedal picks up on vocal fry very well and doesn't go all over the place with it like other products I've tried.

I'm very impressed so far. It's easy to use, intuitive, and with some adjusting sounds absolutely amazing.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#1]
TC makes good stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top