BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:11:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Sam Ash store in Cincinnati had a lefty LPJ for under 500$ when I was in there Tuesday.  I am not a lefty, but was shopping lefties for my daughter... Neck and action felt good and it sounded pretty nice plugged through an AC15C1.
I bet they still have it.  Could swing by on Friday and get photos and such for you if you like.

Edit to add:  Samash.com has the LPJ listed in "satin red' or their 'satin goldtop' for 429$ as a lefty.  I know it isn't an SG... but tempting price for a lefty.  If I knew for a fact my lefty kid were going to stick with playing guitar long term, I'd probably grab her one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The local Guitar Center just got in a new Explorer in Black/white pick guard and it's priced at $1999.

That's more than double for what they were just 8 years ago.

That's nice.

I play lefty (The left handed players got hosed bigtime by Gibson this year) and it looks like my only choice.......is a $3500 Les Paul.

Yup...
I should've gotten a lefty SGJ when they were sub-500 bucks a while back.  I could've sprayed some gloss Nitro on it myself & called it done. Gibson really pulled the rug out from under people recently.

The Sam Ash store in Cincinnati had a lefty LPJ for under 500$ when I was in there Tuesday.  I am not a lefty, but was shopping lefties for my daughter... Neck and action felt good and it sounded pretty nice plugged through an AC15C1.
I bet they still have it.  Could swing by on Friday and get photos and such for you if you like.

Edit to add:  Samash.com has the LPJ listed in "satin red' or their 'satin goldtop' for 429$ as a lefty.  I know it isn't an SG... but tempting price for a lefty.  If I knew for a fact my lefty kid were going to stick with playing guitar long term, I'd probably grab her one.

That's a heck of a price... I paid around $485 last year for my "Chocolate" 2013 lefty LPJ. It's a nicer playing guitar than my sausage-fingered playing fumbling would indicate.  I wonder if the wife would notice a Golptop sitting in the corner...
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That's a heck of a price... I paid around $485 last year for my "Chocolate" 2013 lefty LPJ. It's a nicer playing guitar than my sausage-fingered playing fumbling would indicate.  I wonder if the wife would notice a Golptop sitting in the corner...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
/snip

Give it a whirl. . I am currently waiting for the wife to notice the Orange Micro Terror head / cabinet and Vox AC15C1 that I picked up used in the past few weeks.
I've been playing the heck out of the Vox and she's yelled for me to turn it down...but never noticed that it is a different amp from my others (prior were all Fenders )

I should really do a 'New Gear Month' post... I did buy a 2014 Melody Maker last week.  lovin the P-90s. . It looks like 2015 they dropped the Melody Maker (again) and the closest is the Les Paul Jr for 1100$... Single P-90 vs my dual.  Didn't look close enough to see if the Jr for 2015 is a carved or flat top.
I got my MM via Sweetwater on an end of year clearance after I saw the 2015 lineup.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:10:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Give it a whirl. . I am currently waiting for the wife to notice the Orange Micro Terror head / cabinet and Vox AC15C1 that I picked up used in the past few weeks.
I've been playing the heck out of the Vox and she's yelled for me to turn it down...but never noticed that it is a different amp from my others (prior were all Fenders )

I should really do a 'New Gear Month' post... I did buy a 2014 Melody Maker last week.  lovin the P-90s. . It looks like 2015 they dropped the Melody Maker (again) and the closest is the Les Paul Jr for 1100$... Single P-90 vs my dual.  Didn't look close enough to see if the Jr for 2015 is a carved or flat top.
I got my MM via Sweetwater on an end of year clearance after I saw the 2015 lineup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
/snip

I think the the Jr. is the flat top - no carved maple cap. New 2015 Gibson feature, 50% less guitar for 50% more money...

Just hit up the Sam Ash site - I just couldn't resist the Goldtop at that price. Now I'll just have to convince the spousal unit that guitars are just like shoes - I needed another color to go with an outfit...

I came into this thread to bitch about Gibson's pricing, and damn it if I didn't give them more of my money.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#4]
That was a mistake. Sitting here playing my cousins LP that he just paid 2300 for. Does not sound any better than my Carvin CT and it feels ridiculous with the big neck and tiny frets. Not worth 2300 imho.

ETA- only one friggen pick up is wired to the center position on the selector.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:28:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That was a mistake. Sitting here playing my cousins LP that he just paid 2300 for. Does not sound any better than my Carvin CT and it feels ridiculous with the big neck and tiny frets. Not worth 2300 imho.
View Quote
Lol, I've heard about and seen some of the shit that Gibson lets slip through QC, so that doesn't surprise me.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:36:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Lol, I've heard about and seen some of the shit that Gibson lets slip through QC, so that doesn't surprise me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found it by accident too. I turned the volume off on the neck pickup so I could use the toggle as a kill switch and in the middle there was no sound. I turned the volume back on in the neck and sure enough the center position sounded exactly like the neck position. Go figure. That is unacceptable for $2300.

I will also say that tonally it was very similar to my Carvin CT6. Which figures. Both mahogany neck/body with maple tops, medium output humbuckers, both had .10s on them, both tune-o-matic bridges...
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:38:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Aren't all Gibsons wired that way?  The volumes are linked, so if you have one off, and are in the middle position, volume goes to 0.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Aren't all Gibsons wired that way?  The volumes are linked, so if you have one off, and are in the middle position, volume goes to 0.
View Quote
You know, I forgot that. And now that you mention it, my Epi LP was wired that way too, but I rewired it to have the volumes independent years ago and have all but forgotten about the original wiring.

My bad.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just tried that out on two different Gibsons and a Gretsch...  Both Gibsons (one humbucker Studio and one P-90 Melody Maker which has same internal wiring) when in middle position will cut off when either volume pot hits "0".
The Gretsch Electromatic does the same on either volume pot.  Obliviously different as it has a master volume as well and only one tone, but it does cut off both when either hits '0'.

I would guess that three guitars from two manufacturers over three different model years.... probably not a QC error.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Just tried that out on two different Gibsons and a Gretsch...  Both Gibsons (one humbucker Studio and one P-90 Melody Maker which has same internal wiring) when in middle position will cut off when either volume pot hits "0".
The Gretsch Electromatic does the same on either volume pot.  Obliviously different as it has a master volume as well and only one tone, but it does cut off both when either hits '0'.

I would guess that three guitars from two manufacturers over three different model years.... probably not a QC error.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.  My Ibanez hollow-body is wired the same way.  Bugs the shit out of me.

It's one of those things that Gibson did so many years ago, and because "that's the way it's done", everyone else has felt the need to do it just like that.  I still haven't found a good reason for that type of volume setup - if anyone can think of one, feel free to enlighten me!  I'm used to basses, where controls generally make sense.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:04:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So that is a normal wiring thing? that is fucking stupid. I really can't stand Gibson. Only they could sell a guitar that feels like shit and has a retarded wiring scheme for 2399 and get people to buy it.

Also, My cousins guitar did not do that when the bridge was turned down to zero, it would still play in the middle position with just the neck pickup.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:38:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So that is a normal wiring thing? that is fucking stupid. I really can't stand Gibson. Only they could sell a guitar that feels like shit and has a retarded wiring scheme for 2399 and get people to buy it.

Also, My cousins guitar did not do that when the bridge was turned down to zero, it would still play in the middle position with just the neck pickup.
View Quote

Obviously Gibson is not for you... I personally love the fat 50's neck and the frets feel good to me.
Then again, I am not a shredder and have found that the Ibanez Wizard style necks feel horrible to me.

Luckily, many different style of guitars exist and we're free to pick what we like.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Obviously Gibson is not for you... I personally love the fat 50's neck and the frets feel good to me.
Then again, I am not a shredder and have found that the Ibanez Wizard style necks feel horrible to me.

Luckily, many different style of guitars exist and we're free to pick what we like.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't like or have any guitars with super thin necks, but the 50s neck just felt ridiculous.

I will add, that I did like the pick ups in the Gibson.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Checked out a brand-new Gibson Melody Maker at Guitar Center last night, for about $600.......it felt cheap.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's one of those things that Gibson did so many years ago, and because "that's the way it's done", everyone else has felt the need to do it just like that.  I still haven't found a good reason for that type of volume setup - if anyone can think of one, feel free to enlighten me!  I'm used to basses, where controls generally make sense.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I knew I saw something about this recently:  http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21106-mod-garage-decouple-your-les-pauls-volume-controls

PS My Charvel DS1 is wired the same way, though it has the bridge pickup controls on top.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:20:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Checked out a brand-new Gibson Melody Maker at Guitar Center last night, for about $600.......it felt cheap.
View Quote

No Melody Maker in the 2015 lineup. (at this time)
If it had dual P-90s, a 120th anniversary inlay at the 12th fret, carved thin maple cap on a thin mahogony body and a full size headstock... Along with a crappy paint job, that would be a 2014 model.

And the local GC had em on sale recently for under 500$.

I have a couple Melody Makers now, including a 2014 model. The 2014 is a good guitar, but it isn't what I would call a traditional Melody Maker.
If the paint job had been something other than the "satin whatever" the things would have been over a grand.

I find my example of it has a great neck, stays in tune, the P-90s are fun and the weight makes for a good extended session guitar.  The paint job however sucks.  Have read that it can be hand polished to a reasonable shine... Might consider doing that on mine.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:00:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I knew I saw something about this recently:  http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21106-mod-garage-decouple-your-les-pauls-volume-controls
PS My Charvel DS1 is wired the same way, though it has the bridge pickup controls on top.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's quite a few diagrams here with all sorts of variations: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/

Just select what you want from the drop down menus.

And for something really off the wall, I discovered this the other day. Definetly going to have to try one out before too long.

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I've been looking at getting a Les Paul Standard when I pay my credit card off, if they go up that much I'll just order a custom shop jackson or bc rich.  I already own an SG standard and bought a Gothic explorer back in the day but had to send it back because there were so many cosmetic flaws.  They are nice guitars but I'm not paying custom shop prices for off the rack guitars.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top