[#9]
damnit.. :(
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 11:15:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My cousin...
View Quote

Very sorry to hear. Prayers for your family.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:19:56 AM EDT
[#11]
So sorry for your loss
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:06:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Any initial word on possible cause?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:39:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Any initial word on possible cause?
View Quote

It's being said the plane was not even certified to fly... it was involved in a wreck with a hanger some years ago and was sold to my cousin only as a parts plane last year. This is all coming from other family

members so I am not sure what is fact or not. I head down to meet with my family on Thursday and will talk to my uncle, who is the other pilot in the family.

Edit: I'll post an update here when I know more.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#14]
This is always very sad to hear.

TXN_Infidel, I've seen it many times on forums where the nature of accident discussions may be difficult for people who are close to the victims. We all value the insight you've given us.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

My cousin...
View Quote
Oh wow, so sorry to hear that.  

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 1:03:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

My cousin...
View Quote
So sorry.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:58:30 AM EDT
[#17]
The initial information I was given was indeed malarkey. The plane was good to go, all the damage from the hanger collision years ago was repaired (I was told it was pretty minimal) and the engine

was new. The plane had already been flown several times after all the repairs were made so it was not a maiden flight. My uncle was allowed to go into the crash site with NTSB and they showed him

that the wings functioned as they should - an NTSB investigator pulled on cables to show him that they still functioned. Several witnesses said they didn't even hear the plane as it flew over their heads,

which means there was no engine power. It appears as if the engine died right after take off from unknown reasons (my uncle thinks water got into the fuel and stalled the engine). Scott banked

the aircraft to try to turn around but banking the aircraft caused it to drop altitude and he just wasn't high enough to recover. I'm also told those planes don't glide very well, but I have no idea.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Piper Commaches have rubber fuel bladders. These bladders over time can develop wrinkles in them providing a place for water to get trapped not allowing it to be sumped out during preflight.( Water is heavier than fuel(8lb/gal vs 61/2 lb/gal)) After takeoff manuevering allows the water to flow over the wrinkes and get injested by the engine. This is a pitfall of fuel bladders(Fuel cells).
So sorry to hear about you Uncle and his family.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Piper Commaches have rubber fuel bladders. These bladders over time can develop wrinkles in them providing a place for water to get trapped not allowing it to be sumped out during preflight.( Water is heavier than fuel(8lb/gal vs 61/2 lb/gal)) After takeoff manuevering allows the water to flow over the wrinkes and get injested by the engine. This is a pitfall of fuel bladders(Fuel cells).
View Quote

jet fuel 6.5
                               lb/gal
avgas 6.0
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:09:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

jet fuel 6.5
                               lb/gal
avgas 6.0
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

jet fuel 6.5
                               lb/gal
avgas 6.0

Agree- I was just rounding off for explination sake.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:15:00 PM EDT
[#21]
You are forgiven.

I don't know how much 1 gallon of coal oil weighs.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:46:17 PM EDT
[#22]
My Uncle was flying cross country a few years back with my Aunt in a Cherokee.  They got about half way to us and the engine started acting funny.

He was fortunately really close to an airport at the time and was able to immediately set it down.  They got to looking at it and where the fuel line coupled to the engine was loose and just spraying fuel under the cowling.

The engine had just been serviced, apparently they didn't tighten the fuel line back down properly.

Lucky.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

NTSB prelim report mentions water in the fuel manifold.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Wow...very sorry to hear that TXN. Thoughts and prayers to all affected.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:17:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My cousin...
View Quote

Sad news.. Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:01:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Water in fuel is a bitch. I was meticulous in keeping new o rings on all the fuel tank filler caps.
Inner o ring on the old pry up caps leaked the most.

Never had water in bladder tanked C-182's but the FAA  put out a ad on 182's called the rock and roll the wings before flight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top