Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2014 2:57:43 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:02:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Prayers outbound to the survivors and families. I have a lot Finnish skydiving friends.

Sequence of still pics of the crash.

http://m.mtvkatsomo.fi/?progId=337396
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:19:33 AM EDT
[#2]
A kit plane?  Parts 'fell off?'

So sorry that the builder may not have paid attention to detail.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:58:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Blue Skies.........
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:15:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:47:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Comp Air is based in the county I live in.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:53:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like part of the wing is gone.  Damn.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:00:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:40:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

ETA - Sequence shows a flat spin ? ... they say it's hard to clamber out of.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Prayers outbound to the survivors and families. I have a lot Finnish skydiving friends.

Sequence of still pics of the crash.

http://m.mtvkatsomo.fi/?progId=337396

ETA - Sequence shows a flat spin ? ... they say it's hard to clamber out of.

Depends where you are in the plane and just how it's spinning. If you are being flung towards an exit, lucky you. On the wrong side of the moment? Too bad you're gonna die.

I've seen video of CASA on it's back spinning with jumpers exiting the rear door, not sure if they were being flung out or not but the plane was falling so fast it appeared as if the jumpers were "going up." I was actually in free fall above a Queen Air in the same predicament with the same effect. Everyone made it out of both planes and both planes recovered but it's a crap shoot for sure. If the airplane is missing a wing I bet it's so violent inside, no matter what you see from the outside, that most won't have a chance of escape.

Anyway, got news from a friend over there that it's likely I didn't have any friends aboard. Small consolation for me, still a huge tragedy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:52:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I've never sky dived but being an airplane junkie / airport rat, I must say some of the rattiest, nastiest planes I have ever seen fly were jump planes.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#10]
With all of the ultra-regulation of aviation in Europe, how was a non-certified design flying jumpers?  Or, if it's indeed certified over there, I'd be shocked...
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#11]
At the time this happened, how many of the jumpers were "jump ready"?  

It seems particularly tragic for the plane to crash while full of people who intended to jump out anyway.

Not wishing to make light of the situation, but this is extremely ironic.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I've heard it was spinning with perhaps a wing missing.  Not much chance to get to the door in those situations and yes, it's happened before. Those on the strut let go, all others are pinned in.

Quoted:
At the time this happened, how many of the jumpers were "jump ready"?  

It seems particularly tragic for the plane to crash while full of people who intended to jump out anyway.

Not wishing to make light of the situation, but this is extremely ironic.  
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top