Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2017 1:05:00 PM EDT
I want to install a tile floor in a 9'x6' (roughly) laundry room. Plan to use porcelain tiles. Need to verify but floor seems pretty level. Subfloor is T&G OSB over engineered I beams 16" OC (need to verify that too). Not worried about matching any other pre-existing floor height of the adjoining hallway but if I can get the whole thing to line up with 3/4" HW that would be perfect.

What underlayment do you guys prefer/recommend... Generic cement board, hardibacker, Ditra and Densshield are some of the options I've been looking at?

For such a small room, I'm not that worried about cost or ease of installation. What I am focused on is ending up with a solid, level (so I can avoid cracked tiles and grout lines later on) and reasonably waterproof just in case.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 1:16:11 PM EDT
[#1]
When i did a 2nd floor bathroom over wooden subfloor I put down 1/4" cement board and mortared over top.

Are you trying to waterproof it in case the washer leaks? You can put down some liquid membrane over the cement board and mortar the joints with mesh tape kind of like a shower wall - for waterproofing.

I would just go with 1/4" cement board, but if you can spring for the $$ option than the fancy hardiboard stuff is nice.

Go with a bag of mortar that says for porcelain tiles on the bag.

Also if your tiles are 'large format', make sure you put down a layer of shluter ditra (uncoupling membrane) or other equivalent so the tiles dont crack from human or machine weight/vibrations over time.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 1:42:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also if your tiles are 'large format', make sure you put down a layer of shluter ditra (uncoupling membrane) or other equivalent so the tiles dont crack from human or machine weight/vibrations over time.
View Quote
We haven't made a final decision on the tile yet but are leaning towards one of those 6"x24" tiles that kind of look like wide plank wood flooring? From what I understand, if I go with Ditra, which I have been considering for the reasons you mentioned, there is no reason to also use the concrete backer? Ditra is designed to install directly over OSD or plywood?

That said, I have considered adding an additional layer of 1/4 or 3/8 plywood over the existing OSB flooring to stiffen the floor and then using Ditra over that for the advantages it offers but I'm not sure if that's overkill or not?
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:21:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

We haven't made a final decision on the tile yet but are leaning towards one of those 6"x24" tiles that kind of look like wide plank wood flooring? From what I understand, if I go with Ditra, which I have been considering for the reasons you mentioned, there is no reason to also use the concrete backer? Ditra is designed to install directly over OSD or plywood?

That said, I have considered adding an additional layer of 1/4 or 3/8 plywood over the existing OSB flooring to stiffen the floor and then using Ditra over that for the advantages it offers but I'm not sure if that's overkill or not?
View Quote
Yes, Ditra can be installed directly on plywood/OSB. Just be sure to use the proper mortar as specified in the installation instructions.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:45:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I want to install a tile floor in a 9'x6' (roughly) laundry room. Plan to use porcelain tiles. Need to verify but floor seems pretty level. Subfloor is T&G OSB over engineered I beams 16" OC (need to verify that too). Not worried about matching any other pre-existing floor height of the adjoining hallway but if I can get the whole thing to line up with 3/4" HW that would be perfect.

What underlayment do you guys prefer/recommend... Generic cement board, hardibacker, Ditra and Densshield are some of the options I've been looking at?

For such a small room, I'm not that worried about cost or ease of installation. What I am focused on is ending up with a solid, level (so I can avoid cracked tiles and grout lines later on) and reasonably waterproof just in case.
View Quote

One thing a lot people fail to understand is that any underlayment durock,  hardiboard or wonderboard does not count towards the minimum thickness specified by the Tile Council of America which is 1 1/4". Unless it is that thickness you will have a problem.
You can use Ditra mat over 3/4"  subfloor with out any other underlayment but are limited to 12x12 tile not stone.
If you use 1 1/4" total subfloor with proper thinset you will be ok.
I get the "we want to match the hardwood floor level" all of the time.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:46:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes, Ditra can be installed directly on plywood/OSB. Just be sure to use the proper mortar as specified in the installation instructions.
View Quote
Yes, this is true IIRC. My LFT install was 12"x30" tiles over concrete slab with ditra in the middle on the bathrooms in my home. Mortaring twice kinda sucks but it's worth it to not have the tiles crack.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:33:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Ditra
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I want to install a tile floor in a 9'x6' (roughly) laundry room. Plan to use porcelain tiles. Need to verify but floor seems pretty level. Subfloor is T&G OSB
View Quote

OSB thickness?

No matter what the joist deflection is you still have to worry about the substrate deflection between the joists also.

Tile size matters also.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#8]
If you have to add another layer of plywood to reach the minimum recommended floor thickness and don't want to bond directly to the wood subfloor I'd look at Nobleseal. It gives you the benefits of a CIS membrane but only increases the height of the finished floor by about 1/32". It can also serve as a waterproof membrane. Downside is you need to use their adhesive to glue it to the floor.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 10:42:55 PM EDT
[#10]
1.  Add a layer of 5/8 Sanded B/C plywood (exterior).  Lay the pattern as in the figure below.

2.  You can waterproof underlayment with laticrete hydroban

3.  Thinset down Stratamat ((Stratamat))

4.  Thinset your tiles to the stratamat.  (I like stratamat better then dietra as it allows you to use modified thinset which you really want to use with porcelain tile)

Remember dietra and stratamat only help with horizontal subfloor movement.  The only things that helps with vertical movement is to stiffen the floor (hence the second layer)

Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:33:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Use an uncoupling  product. And never tile over osb
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 4:08:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

We haven't made a final decision on the tile yet but are leaning towards one of those 6"x24" tiles that kind of look like wide plank wood flooring? From what I understand, if I go with Ditra, which I have been considering for the reasons you mentioned, there is no reason to also use the concrete backer? Ditra is designed to install directly over OSD or plywood?  That said, I have considered adding an additional layer of 1/4 or 3/8 plywood over the existing OSB flooring to stiffen the floor and then using Ditra over that for the advantages it offers but I'm not sure if that's overkill or not?
View Quote
click
https://sccpublic.s3-external-1.amazonaws.com/sys-master/images/hcb/h67/8815748186142/DITRA%20Installation%20Handbook.pdf
and see especially pages 4-7.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 6/27/2017 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
and dampen/wet the plywood with a sponge prior to spreading the thinset (use modified when applying Ditra to plywood).

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 6/27/2017 4:38:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

One thing a lot people fail to understand is that any underlayment durock,  hardiboard or wonderboard does not count towards the minimum thickness specified by the Tile Council of America which is 1 1/4".
View Quote
^^^ that.

learn it, live it.

screwing down 1/4" or 1/2" durock/etc to the floor DOES NOT increase floor stiffness.

1/2" or 3/4" type BCX plywood underlayment is what you want.  
note: the "X" in "BCX" means exterior glue; it won't delaminate due to moisture intrusion.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

^^^ that.

learn it, live it.

screwing down 1/4" or 1/2" durock/etc to the floor DOES NOT increase floor stiffness.

1/2" or 3/4" type BCX plywood underlayment is what you want.  
note: the "X" in "BCX" means exterior glue; it won't delaminate due to moisture intrusion.

ar-jedi
View Quote
It should also be laid on a bed of thin-set then screw down
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1855024_Can_anybody_give_me_the_rundown_on_wood_floors_.html&page=1&anc=bottom#i59155199
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:54:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are you saying the plywood should be laid in thinset?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, the cement board.

Plywood screwed down, then thinset(can be cheap stuff), then screw backer board with the proper screws

Online you can find the durok or hardi instructions.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
subfloor, plywood, modified thinset, Ditra, unmodified thinset, then tile.  no need for any type of cement board.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Yea , two different methods. You can choose which best fits your needs.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No, the cement board.

Plywood screwed down, then thinset(can be cheap stuff), then screw backer board with the proper screws

Online you can find the durok or hardi instructions.
View Quote
Tried and true underlayment.  

I do like double plywood below it though and recently stratmat has been taking the place of durock on my sites.  MUCH easier to install and a lot less mess.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

subfloor, plywood, modified thinset, Ditra, unmodified thinset, then tile.  no need for any type of cement board.
View Quote
If you use stratamat you can use modified below and above the uncoupling layer.  This works very well for porcelain tile (modified sticks better to porcelain)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top