Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2017 1:46:39 PM EDT
Have plans to have the electrical company do a temporary shut off so I can replace the pipe, wires, and weatherhead on my meter.
Someone used pvc conduit instead of ridgid metal, so I'm putting in metal.
Anything I need to know?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#1]
How in the world did anybody get a pvc riser approved.

I'm pretty busy today but I'll check back tonight.  There is quite a bit to it if you are not familiar.

Mostly the proper sized hub in the meter, properly sized rigid riser.
I think 1.25" is minimum, 2" is more common.  Might need tieback support.

Not rocket surgery, but it is a bit of work.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Check your local requirements before beginning. Most states, cities, counties all have specific requirements that must be met before the power company can energize the new equipment. The power companies also have requirements.

As a master electrician that has worked in several states, I will say that a little planning first will avoid added expenses later. Some jurisdictions require the work be done by a licensed contractor, and others will allow the home owner to perform the work.

If you do the work and they require a contractor, you will have to remove what you did and then have a contractor put it back up. I have seen this on more than one occasion in Maryland!
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#3]
There are lots of unknowns here.

Does this come in over a driveway or a roof ridge?

How far?

How many amps is the main?

Have you got any experience?

How did a pvc riser ever get approved?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't for the Noalox paste if you are using Aluminum feeders.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-NOALOX-4-oz-Anti-Oxidant-Compound-30-026/202276208
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:44:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you even own it??

It varies from state to state.

In Virginia the POCO has to get the power to you.

New houses have to meet the POCO's requirements at builder expense though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:00:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Got it done in about 2 hours today.
Probably one of the easiest home repairs that I have done.
Haven't touched any electrical for about 12 years, but had about 15 years of prior experience helping pull wire on new houses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top