Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2014 10:43:38 PM EDT
All of a sudden our ice maker has quit. I can see the one part that dumps the ice still cycling and working, but it seems no water is making it to the tray. I am 99% sure its the solenoid, but I dont know how to test it. It only fills up every 12 hours or so and I cant babysit it to watch.
Im sure as many of you are, Obama takes most if not all of our disposable income to give to the FSA otherwise Id buy a new fridge.
But I have to keep them in Xbox 1's and 78" Plasma's.

So if there are any repair guys Id like to try to fix my fridge before I replace it.
Thanks.

MTB1953AR-Maytag
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#1]
A couple of ways to test the solenoid. First is to measure the resistance across both terminals. Compare the reading to the water dispenser solenoid. A typical reading for a bad solenoid would be an "open" circuit.

No meter? Disconnect the water and ice solenoids, connect the wiring from the water solenoid to the ice solenoid, press the water switch and see if water runs into the ice maker.

Check the ice maker for a frozen inlet water line. Remember the most probable cause is that the ice maker itself is faulty and not sending voltage to the solenoid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top