Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 348
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 7:37:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Aspp:
It's not uncommon for the oil pickup tube to crack, low pressure rattles things around for a bit. If I'm that deep I change the pump to a high volume just to be safe.
Melling used to be a good pump for this engine.

It's cool you got 3 generations together for Father's day! My Pops is 4 hrs away with my Grandfather arguing over who is the better shot. My boys and I hoe'd weeds and washed the cars, now we are watching cartoons. Lol
View Quote

What’s the best way to determine my course of action?  It still has all the oil in it, I didn’t put a con rod through the block, but boy did it sound rattley when I shut it off.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By TrashWrencher:

What's the best way to determine my course of action?  It still has all the oil in it, I didn't put a con rod through the block, but boy did it sound rattley when I shut it off.
View Quote
Pull the oil pressure sensor (right side near oil filter) and put a Guage on it. Low fluttering pressure is a cracked pickup, low steady is usually the pump.
You can pull the pan without pulling the motor or axle out by removing the pickup tube after dropping the pan loose. Putting it back together that way is a bitch but can be done in a driveway without a lift if you Jack the body up a little and the rust is not too bad.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 8:42:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TrashWrencher] [#3]
Pull the oil pressure sensor (right side near oil filter) and put a Guage on it. Low fluttering pressure is a cracked pickup, low steady is usually the pump.
You can pull the pan without pulling the motor or axle out by removing the pickup tube after dropping the pan loose. Putting it back together that way is a bitch but can be done in a driveway without a lift if you Jack the body up a little and the rust is not too bad.
View Quote

Might pop over to oreillys on the way home from work and get a set of gauges.  I did the oil pressure sensor last year, and when this happened, my first thought was the sensor went out until it went all rattley on me.  I’m hoping the 50 feet I drove with that noise (flatter and safer spot in the lot) didn’t do too awful much damage.

I’m really afraid a bearing is already spun, and any more running will throw a rod through the block.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 8:54:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Might pop over to oreillys on the way home from work and get a set of gauges.  I did the oil pressure sensor last year, and when this happened, my first thought was the sensor went out until it went all rattley on me.  I'm hoping the 50 feet I drove with that noise (flatter and safer spot in the lot) didn't do too awful much damage.

I'm really afraid a bearing is already spun, and any more running will throw a rod through the block.
View Quote
Stupid question, but have you pulled the dipstick since it started making noise? Most of these drink oil or leak like a sieve.
Anything to note last oil change?
If you were just putting around I'm betting its ok, these things are built looser than a $5 whore on Friday night.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Stupid question, but have you pulled the dipstick since it started making noise? Most of these drink oil or leak like a sieve.
Anything to note last oil change?
If you were just putting around I'm betting its ok, these things are built looser than a $5 whore on Friday night.
View Quote

Oil level was fine before we stepped off this morning, oil level was fine this evening after the tow truck kicked it loose in my driveway.  No chocolate milk, no sparkles.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 2:01:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Oil level was fine before we stepped off this morning, oil level was fine this evening after the tow truck kicked it loose in my driveway.  No chocolate milk, no sparkles.
View Quote
That's a good sign, verify the oil pressure then drop the pan. Ill bet that pickup tube is cracked.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#7]
In 04 the cams were a problem. My 04 LJ did the same thing when it ate the cam
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:37:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SecretSquirell] [#8]
@Aspp you gonna be a YouTube star?

A Cal Fire Dozer Training Preview
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#9]
So, odd report to make.  Just for titty sparkles, I fired that jeep up today.  Oil pressure came right up and no rattle, runs as smooth as usual.

Did I starve the oil pump on that last steep hill?  No rattle means everything ok?  I feel like an idiot asking these questions given my profession, but in 7 years, I’ve never encountered an issue like this.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#10]
So, odd report to make.  Just for titty sparkles, I fired that jeep up today.  Oil pressure came right up and no rattle, runs as smooth as usual.

Did I starve the oil pump on that last steep hill?  No rattle means everything ok?  I feel like an idiot asking these questions given my profession, but in 7 years, I’ve never encountered an issue like this.
View Quote

How about once it's up to operating temp?
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Haven't done that yet.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 7:56:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Does it have a relief valve that could have hung open? I'd spin the filter off and look for sparklies. If it looks ok run it up to temp and see what it does.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

And some nuts to it.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#14]
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258113/image_jpg-2857435.JPG

And some nuts to it.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258113/image_jpg-2857436.JPG

IIRC, Chrysler oil pressure "senders" are just a switch. If it's above something like 8 psi, it'll read "correct". I know that's how it was on my Cummins. But if you're not hearing anything maybe you dodged a bullet.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 8:55:44 PM EDT
[#15]

IIRC, Chrysler oil pressure "senders" are just a switch. If it's above something like 8 psi, it'll read "correct". I know that's how it was on my Cummins. But if you're not hearing anything maybe you dodged a bullet.
View Quote

Yeah, none of that horrible rattle it made the other day.  I suppose I should go get a proper pressure gauge set and see what it’s actually doing before I drive further than circles on my property.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Yeah, none of that horrible rattle it made the other day.  I suppose I should go get a proper pressure gauge set and see what it’s actually doing before I drive further than circles on my property.
View All Quotes

Would be a good idea.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 1:11:05 AM EDT
[#17]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTRB8JXzrz0
View Quote
Lmao! I do wear glasses, but thats not me. The language is too clean as well, I couldn't say half of what he did and not drop 3 f bombs.
I only saw a couple of my Cats in that video, we don't have any 6Ts or 6Ks. We do have a bunch of 6Ns, a few 6Ms and 5Hs, a couple new D5s and one 7F.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 6:27:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Lmao! I do wear glasses, but thats not me. The language is too clean as well, I couldn't say half of what he did and not drop 3 f bombs.
I only saw a couple of my Cats in that video, we don't have any 6Ts or 6Ks. We do have a bunch of 6Ns, a few 6Ms and 5Hs, a couple new D5s and one 7F.
View All Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTRB8JXzrz0

I know that wasn't you, just thought he might be interviewing you.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:03:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Yeah, none of that horrible rattle it made the other day.  I suppose I should go get a proper pressure gauge set and see what it's actually doing before I drive further than circles on my property.
View Quote
Probably a good plan.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:08:47 AM EDT
[#20]

I know that wasn't you, just thought he might be interviewing you.
View Quote
No, I avoid interviews like the plague. I'm not exactly PC, and my opinion tends to be pinned to my sleeve.
Anyway, We have people who get paid to talk to the press and YouTube starlets, I let them do their job.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#21]
That's a good sign, verify the oil pressure then drop the pan. Ill bet that pickup tube is cracked.
View Quote

Maybe add oil pump pickup tube loose or missing the o ring on pickup tube to pump. I have had at least one I remember that the pickup tube bolts were loose
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Also, have one to add to the thread.  2014 hyundai 2.0 turbo broken exhaust valve. Other thing that sucks is they were heading home to Florida.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 5:25:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DirtDivision] [#23]
Man I’m striking out with this xterra. Was able to work on it and watch everything on the scan tool the other day and don’t understand it. I called M35ben and bent his ear on it. Decided that I needed to get it to an actual shop as it’s not worth the frustration. Take it up this morning and they call saying both cats are toasted.

When I asked them how they came to the conclusion he said they removed both upstream o2 sensors and it was running normally, albeit loudly.

I’m not sure if it’s my pride or my arrogance but I find it hard to believe it’s both. The issues were mainly with the passenger side bank. I went and asked for a quote breakdown and basically it’s the two main cats and labor to the tune of 2900.

They have an hour of diag time on it and I’d happily pay the labor for it but 2900 is hard to swing at the moment.

I hate to bring it home and do the cats myself and it not be the issue and get egg on my face but I’m kinda just at my wits wend with it.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 5:33:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:
Anyone know where I can Send a 1970s era smog pump to get rebuilt?
View Quote

Probably already answered. Suggest picking up an issue of hemmings motor news if it's still in print. Could be helpful for other
stuff for your ride
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 5:46:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By DirtDivision:
Man I’m striking out with this xterra. Was able to work on it and watch everything on the scan tool the other day and don’t understand it. I called M35ben and bent his ear on it. Decided that I needed to get it to an actual shop as it’s not worth the frustration. Take it up this morning and they call saying both cats are toasted.

When I asked them how they came to the conclusion he said they removed both upstream o2 sensors and it was running normally, albeit loudly.

I’m not sure if it’s my pride or my arrogance but I find it hard to believe it’s both. The issues were mainly with the passenger side bank. I went and asked for a quote breakdown and basically it’s the two main cats and labor to the tune of 2900.

They have an hour of diag time on it and I’d happily pay the labor for it but 2900 is hard to swing at the moment.

I hate to bring it home and do the cats myself and it not be the issue and get egg on my face but I’m kinda just at my wits wend with it.

Thoughts?
View Quote

Cats are not uncommon on them. Would have been nice if they put a back pressure gauge on both banks and recorded readings.
Have active misfires all the time? If so maybe monitor misfires, remove both upper oxy sensors and run again to see if misfires go away.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By thewrencher:

Cats are not uncommon on them. Would have been nice if they put a back pressure gauge on both banks and recorded readings.
Have active misfires all the time? If so maybe monitor misfires, remove both upper oxy sensors and run again to see if misfires go away.
View Quote

Straight running like shit. All the time. I have to take their word for it thag removing the sensors straightened it up.

I think I’ll go get it tomorrow. Pay the diag fee and play with it some more. I can verify myself. Admittedly I’m not that good with car engines.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Thoughts?
View Quote

That's a price that might mean letting the truck go. Xterra's don't hold value that well. Mine was damn near minty and only got 2500 for it when I traded it for my last truck. How much would 2 cats cost to do it yourself?
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#28]

That's a price that might mean letting the truck go. Xterra's don't hold value that well. Mine was damn near minty and only got 2500 for it when I traded it for my last truck. How much would 2 cats cost to do it yourself?
View Quote

$500 in cats from rock auto. 40 in gaskets. Nj jersey salt….
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

Not too terrible, but not great either.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Not too terrible, but not great either.
View Quote

No. But it’s paid off and basically my range whip. If we go anywhere it’s in her traverse.

We don’t want a payment right now.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:01:13 AM EDT
[#31]

No. But it's paid off and basically my range whip. If we go anywhere it's in her traverse.

We don't want a payment right now.
View Quote
Go to a muffler shop and see if they can weld in some universal fits, they should be a fraction of the cost.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Go to a muffler shop and see if they can weld in some universal fits, they should be a fraction of the cost.
View Quote

I ordered some off rock auto. Another arfcom member and I are going to tackle it ourselves.

Two forklift mechanics can maybe figure it out……
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 10:08:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Revisiting this stupid thing. Every single component has been replaced. Having really high suction pressure (120-170 psi) with the high side being the same pressure. Everything that the AC engineers have had me test has produced no definitive fault. I initially suspected the orifice tube since I recovered and tore apart the system again and the o-rings on it looked like they were twisted. It felt like it went in really easily so I thought maybe the o-rings weren't sealing and it was being bypassed. Replaced and still no change. Now I'm sorta leaning towards a valve stuck in the compressor, but I'm not going to be tearing it apart unless they specifically say to do so.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 10:34:52 AM EDT
[#34]

I ordered some off rock auto. Another arfcom member and I are going to tackle it ourselves.

Two forklift mechanics can maybe figure it out……
View Quote

I had a supercharged '02 for many years, the manifolds crack as well. Sold mine with 250k or so miles, went through 5 or 6 engines and never replaced a cat.

The old 112/113 Benz engines would clog cats, mostly on the 163 ML. We would pull the front O2 sensors to drive them in, they sound awesome with the cat pipes off
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#35]

Two forklift mechanics can maybe figure it out  
View Quote
Nice!
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 6:35:34 PM EDT
[#36]
When doing brakes on a mid-model Prius, do you need a computer to reset the abs or have it relearn anything, or is it a straight brake job?

My SIL was quoted $1600 for all four wheels and if it doesn’t require some sort of fancy reset, imma offer to do it for half.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#37]
When doing brakes on a mid-model Prius, do you need a computer to reset the abs or have it relearn anything, or is it a straight brake job?

My SIL was quoted $1600 for all four wheels and if it doesn’t require some sort of fancy reset, imma offer to do it for half.
View Quote

No, it's a Prius, so it's pretty gay.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

If I can fleece my SIL for $800 before pads, I’ll risk teh gay.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 7:28:51 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

Just make sure you wear your rubbers (gloves).
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 12:45:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#40]

View Quote

No Prius experience, but I've replaced hundreds of brakes over 20 years and never needed a computer to reset anything. Even the old brake by wire Benzs you were good as long as nobody opened a door with the caliper off. Our electric parking brakes are through the cluster.

Might need a spinny thing for the rear brakes, check before you're in there and stuck.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#41]
This old building has so much RF interference that the new EV diag equipment only works outside
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:04:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Ok cat dudes,  what’s with the drain plug on the bottom of a D8T for the trans?  You can put that sucker on finger tight, and the next time you go to drain the trans you need a 4 foot ratchet with another 3 foot of cheater.  We just cheesed the 1/2” hole on one today trying to do a service, and ended up having to weld a nut on it to get it off.

Any tips and tricks?
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Ok cat dudes,  what’s with the drain plug on the bottom of a D8T for the trans?  You can put that sucker on finger tight, and the next time you go to drain the trans you need a 4 foot ratchet with another 3 foot of cheater.  We just cheesed the 1/2” hole on one today trying to do a service, and ended up having to weld a nut on it to get it off.

Any tips and tricks?
View Quote

Anti-seize. And usually once they wear down thin enough that you're not getting a ratchet in, I air chisel them loose.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#44]

Anti-seize. And usually once they wear down thin enough that you're not getting a ratchet in, I air chisel them loose.
View Quote

I’ll do that this time.  The old guy that trained me told me to not use anti-seize on the drain plug, but it’s worth a shot.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#45]

I’ll do that this time.  The old guy that trained me told me to not use anti-seize on the drain plug, but it’s worth a shot.  Thanks.
View All Quotes

I anti-seize every damn thing. I'm an anti-seize whore.

Could always just get ahead of the problem and weld a nut onto a new plug so that you don't have to weld upside down.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 4:05:01 AM EDT
[#46]

Any tips and tricks?
View Quote

Hit it with a hammer before trying to loosen it. 2-3 good solid whacks and then it should loosen with reasonable force.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By cat-mechanic:

Hit it with a hammer before trying to loosen it. 2-3 good solid whacks and then it should loosen with reasonable force.
View All Quotes

Any tips and tricks?

That too.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 10:08:19 AM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

Crispy
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

We had a kid do that on a car and split the cast pan. That car got a really good oil change
Page / 348
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top