Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2017 10:06:58 PM EDT
Friend was driving his Ford Expedition when it blew a spark plug.  It requires that the old plug be removed, old threads drilled out, tapping and a sleeve screwed down.  It's suppose to be common problem with Ford.

So, does Ford have poor metallurgy for its engine blocks or what?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:38:20 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not a metallurgy problem, it's an engineering problem.  There are only about four threads worth of engagement in the cylinder head.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:24:42 PM EDT
[#2]
not all that common either

millions of modular motors built, less than .5% have the problem
and it's actually caused when change spark plugs without proper torque when re-installing
or some dumbass using antisieze on the threads
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:59:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
not all that common either

millions of modular motors built, less than .5% have the problem
and it's actually caused when change spark plugs without proper torque when re-installing
or some dumbass using antisieze on the threads
View Quote
I get that anti seize will change (lessen) the torque required to properly tension the bolt but is there something else I'm missing about why applying anti seize is bad here?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:57:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes fairly common for certain years of the 5.4l triton.  They even make a special tool to extract plugs and coils.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:05:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yes fairly common for certain years of the 5.4l triton.  They even make a special tool to extract plugs and coils.
View Quote
No - thats a different issue.

The problem you are talking about is the long plugs which seize in the 5.4 and 4.6 3v engines and the blugs break in half on removal.

The problem he is talking about is in the earlier 2V engines which were designed with a very small amount of threads, so they got a smaller than typical torque spec.  This led to the spark plugs backing out and "blowing" from the motor.

The torque spec was changed as a result of this.  

Repairing threads with a insert is somewhat common.

Use a torque wrench, torque to the new spec, and this is much less of an issue.

Important Tips When Replacing Spark Plugs on Ford 4.6L 5.4L 6.8L 2v Engines
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:16:48 AM EDT
[#6]
very common on fords for quite a while, it was like  up to $1000 per plug to fix I am told
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Good friend blew a plug on his F250 last week.....took out the coil pack with it.

last plug (at rear) on the passenger side......the Ford dealership initially came back to him with a 2500.00 repair proposal......he ended up having them install an insert (800.00).

Ford will not warranty the repair......even though it's their piss poor design that caused the problem
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:36:44 AM EDT
[#8]
It was shit engineering. Period.

People who refuse to acknowledge this have their head in the sand. 3.5 HP lawnmower engine sparkplugs had more thread contact then these engines.

Has there ever been a 5.4 ford engine design that didn't have some serious shit engineering or fvck up waiting to happen? Threads, fvck all spark plugs, cam phasers, flex plates cracking.............
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:36:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Most of them that I see are 4 and 8.
The hardest ones to get to.
That tells me that whoever installed them didnt torque correctly.
Not fun to install timesert at all.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:11:27 AM EDT
[#10]
common problem for Fords and Mercury SUV's...trust me i know...
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#11]
My Ford Triton has blown two spark plugs, always taking the coil pack with it. It blows my mind that they kept the piss poor design for so long. The first one I put and insert in it and the second one I had to retap it...
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for sharing your insights guys.  So what poundage if he were to change his own plugs?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for sharing your insights guys.  So what poundage if he were to change his own plugs?
View Quote
In the video above - the tech explains he recommends 20 to 25 ft-lbs.  Motorcraft plugs ONLY.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:13:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It was shit engineering. Period.

People who refuse to acknowledge this have their head in the sand. 3.5 HP lawnmower engine sparkplugs had more thread contact then these engines.

Has there ever been a 5.4 ford engine design that didn't have some serious shit engineering or fvck up waiting to happen? Threads, fvck all spark plugs, cam phasers, flex plates cracking.............
View Quote
I say this as a Ford 5.4 owner......

I love my truck.  It's a shame that motor has so many turd issues.

The biggest crime in all this is that Ford knew about most of these flaws in the 3v by 2006, and changed very little about the engine or parts design all the way to 2014.  Because these problems didn't surface until over 100k in most cases, they didn't care.  Buy a new truck.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#15]
So how many years has Ford been putting threads in cylinder heads?

100 or so and all of a sudden they forgot how?

Why would you want such a complicated engine in a "truck"

Give me 2 valves and pushrods and one camshaft right where God intended it to be. In the block.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:55:18 PM EDT
[#16]
My 5.4 spit a plug so I used this repair kit and drove it for a month or so then sold the truck. Reviews are mixed on the longevity of the repair but for $50 and an hour or so of your time it's worth a shot.

ETA if its one of the rear plugs it will be a PIA to use the above kit.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:06:36 PM EDT
[#17]
One of my coworkers has a 07 or 08? 5.4. Everything else on the truck has been fine and he like it a lot but in the past 18 months he's done cam phasers, a flexplate [cracked], he had some kind of plug issue and now he actually has a 1/2-3/4 hole burned through the passenger side exhaust manifold so he's having it replaced. It looks great, the rest of it has held up well but he only has about 120K on the odo.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:20:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's not a metallurgy problem, it's an engineering problem.  There are only about four threads worth of engagement in the cylinder head.
View Quote
This right here^^^^ three threads do not a fastener make.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:59:38 AM EDT
[#19]
99 f250 v10,blew out 3,bought the $250 repair kit,drill out hole,tap hole,threaded insert in.
New plug and coil if needed.
Cal Van makes the kit I bought on Amazon
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:08:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Talked to my friend today and he told me previously the car had been serviced at the Ford Dealership.  Little wonder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top