Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:12:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: disorientedpilot] [#1]
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 9:39:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Fantastic progress on that B body. Makes me miss my 64 Barracuda.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:24:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Looking mighty fine OP... What are you doing for the interior color? I think red interior would really pop against the silver.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:41:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome thread! Thanks for sharing with us. The fastest car I've ever ridden in, and the fastest I've ever gone on four wheels, was in a 1967 Plymouth GTX. This was "back-in-the-day" about 1977 or 1978. Scared the shit outta me! It was awesome!
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:03:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Justintime2] [#5]
Sure it's not too late to change your mind and paint her in the original paint code? I realize it may not be exactly what you want but they always look best in their factory colors!
My RoadRunner was repainted Cardinal Red and I would love for her to be Matador Red again...
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:20:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the thread OP. I am truly amazed by your craftsmanship.  Can't wait for more posts.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:27:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:48:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By disorientedpilot:
http://i.imgur.com/sYwFWqT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZLXEjqu.jpg
The 60 daily...  my fins and family batmobile.

Any pix of your 62?  I love boats.  I want a 66 chrysler 300 at some point.

I dont have any pix of the cuda handy.  I should take some.  Its waiting for paint.  I will probably get back to it next winter if all goes well.  Small block 4sp car.  I have a non TA 340 with 6 pack to go in it.
View Quote

I love it! She looks to be in great shape too.
Here is my 62, originally coral gray, now ermine white. Fixed her up in my garage too but it was rust free so mo panel replacements. Has a poly 318 that has been rebuilt and it is a strong runner. No problems lighting up the 8" rear tires. I could probably start a thread on that rebuild too.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:51:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Justintime2:
Sure it's not too late to change your mind and paint her in the original paint code? I realize it may not be exactly what you want but they always look best in their factory colors!
My RoadRunner was repainted Cardinal Red and I would love for her to be Matador Red again...
View Quote

Yep, too late. I like the color going on it. I was on the fence about using the new B5 blue color but thought the silver was the better choice. Matador red and tor red the same color?
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 12:02:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By PrivateJoker1341:
Looking mighty fine OP... What are you doing for the interior color? I think red interior would really pop against the silver.
View Quote

I am going to stay original black. Red would be bitchin but so many things to change = $.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 1:26:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By myfakename:

What B Body do you have? Pictures?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ARHank:
Nice OP! Thanks for bringing her back. 

Seeing the work you put into that makes me ashamed I haven't done something with my B body. You're making us AZ folk look look lazy as hell.

Took me a while to find some pics. Both cars are in storage now. This is the one that needs the work. It was my first car. It faired my youth quite well. However it will need a fender, paint and interior. It runs well. The pic is from the day I brought her home. I was 15 and extremely satisfied with my $600 investment. Not as cool as yours.
Attachment Attached File

This one is my inheritance and it's perfect. 46k on her. 360 four speed with rally package and Hurst shifter. My stepdad bought it in the early '80s. The paint is worn through on the trunk and few scratches and dents here and there but I would say she looks pretty good for car that's almost 45 years old and has never been painted. If I come across pics of my teenage street rod I'll post those also. It's a '70 Duster that had it's slant six swapped for a 440 and 727. All three are in storage in my mom's barn and I'm collecting old trucks and dirt bikes now. I might have a problem. (Lack of garage space) 
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 1:47:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Great thread, OP.  Thank you.  Lots of fun to read about your project!
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Took me a while to find some pics. Both cars are in storage now. This is the one that needs the work. It was my first car. It faired my youth quite well. However it will need a fender, paint and interior. It runs well. The pic is from the day I brought her home. I was 15 and extremely satisfied with my $600 investment. Not as cool as yours.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/155324/Satillite-001-120588.JPG
This one is my inheritance and it's perfect. 46k on her. 360 four speed with rally package and Hurst shifter. My stepdad bought it in the early '80s. The paint is worn through on the trunk and few scratches and dents here and there but I would say she looks pretty good for car that's almost 45 years old and has never been painted. If I come across pics of my teenage street rod I'll post those also. It's a '70 Duster that had it's slant six swapped for a 440 and 727. All three are in storage in my mom's barn and I'm collecting old trucks and dirt bikes now. I might have a problem. (Lack of garage space) 
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/155324/100-3531-120598.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/155324/100-3520-120595.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/155324/100-3530-120596.JPG
View Quote

Holy smokes those are cool!!  AZ cars I take it?  I grew up in Kentucky and cars rotted away if you drove them in winter. My third car I owned (17 at the time lol) was a 1968 Charger H code 383 4bbl, 3.91 sure grip rear. Paid $1000 and it ran like a scalded dog.  Originally an A4 silver car, previous owner painted it hemi orange.  When it rained there was a waterfall under the dash and in the trunk.  In the winter, the windshield would freeze up on the inside lmao but I was a broke ass high schooler and loved it.  I did replace the floor pans and front seats (the floorpans were screwed in and caulked, so I can understand shoddy repairs because I have been there and done that.)  Actually sold it for $3000 a few years later.  

Thanks for the pics!
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 2:54:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Doing some work today.  Rolled the car out in the sun to see what needed putty, hosed out the garage, cleaned my equipment and have been chasing pin holes.  Works best if you air the car off then wipe it down with a alcohol based grease cleaner.  Went over it once with putty, sanded the areas down.  Then I went over the car with 320 grit, aired it off, cleaned it and applied some more putty.  Getting close!!  I don't know how much more tedious sanding and putty I can take.  It is damn close and remember, this is a garage build and paint so i don't expect it to be perfect.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And here is a light that I built for painting in the garage.  I have one on both sides to light up the lower part.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Everything pictured is AZ except the LUV.

It was Navy surplus off of an aircraft carrier. It had 2,600 miles on it when my stepdad gave $300 for it. Oil was changed every six months and mostly stowed below deck.

We added factory A/C with NOS parts and rebuilt the trans. It would chirp a tire going into 2nd.

Shortly after that pic we finished the yard front and back. That little truck hauled all the gravel and sod for it. I miss that pickup.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#16]

It was Navy surplus off of an aircraft carrier. It had 2,600 miles on it when my stepdad gave $300 for it. Oil was changed every six months and mostly stowed below deck.

We added factory A/C with NOS parts and rebuilt the trans. It would chirp a tire going into 2nd.

Shortly after that pic we finished the yard front and back. That little truck hauled all the gravel and sod for it. I miss that pickup.
View Quote

That's a great story! Was that 2600 miles all on the carrier? I didn't even know they had vehicles on carriers.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Excellent and thanks for taking us with you. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Fantastic work!

I wish I had the patience and skill to do better body work.   It really is an art form.

I've got a '70 Scout still trapped out in AZ that needs some love if you get bored.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 4:05:16 PM EDT
[#19]

That's a great story! Was that 2600 miles all on the carrier? I didn't even know they had vehicles on carriers.
View All Quotes

I suspect most of it's miles were on the carrier but not all. The .Gov put it in service in '73 and we bought it in '96. So, a little over 1000 miles a year. That would be about sixteen trips accross the flight deck a day. Stepdad had bought quite a few, all with low milage. They all had surface rust from the salty air but weren't that bad.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 4:27:10 PM EDT
[#20]
nice.

my dad had a 68 gtx when he was 21.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#21]
OP you have skills I admire, but have never had the talent nor the inkling to acquire/learn. I am 70 and still have a lot of fond memories concerning the muscle cares of the '60s.

I watch the big auctions on tv and when the Mopars/GM/Fords are on (especially Mopars and GTOs) nostalgia hits me like a ton of bricks. I never owned any either but greatly appreciate them nonetheless and slobber a bit when they are featured.

You have skills Sir and my thanks for this thread with all of the pics of your handy work.

Link Posted: 1/8/2017 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#22]

I want to share too.

OP amazing work you are doing.

Mine was paint and body by someone else. Who did a great masking job instead of the kind of work you did.

I just did upgrades.
Added a/c, power brakes, disc brakes, replaced the poly 318 with a 5.9 mag and efi.
new leafs, torsion bars and rebuilt the front end along with a new steering box.
had to replace the efi computer /system and still tweeking that.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#23]
OP how much time do you have into this project...you seem to be hauling ass.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Tagged!
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By peligro113:
OP how much time do you have into this project...you seem to be hauling ass.
View Quote

No clue lol. Some weekends I was at it both days until nightfall. The metal work and fabrication went by quick. The bodywork is dragging.

I appreciate all the great comments. I am not a painter, nor a body man, nor a great welder. I am simply someone who could not afford a restored car or pay someone to restore it. It has been a ride and I haven't even started reassembly.  The car is going to be a driver, not a full restoration. It ain't going to be perfect that's for sure and I did not want to get into a restoration that takes years and tens of thousands of dollars to complete. I want to be driving this car by middle of next year so some areas are not getting full attention. If it can be a rust free 5 footer I will be happy.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 2:42:06 AM EDT
[#26]
So I guess we're making this into a Mopar picture thread between updates?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/9/2017 2:42:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By shocktrp:
So I guess we're making this into a Mopar picture thread between updates?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/48896/Charger-063b-122369.JPG

http://i59.tinypic.com/jqtehe.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/30ua3w4.jpg
View Quote

That is always a good idea.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Nice Mopars fellas!!

Here is the silver bullet after a few coats of Akzo Nobel Wanda base.  I did have some solvent pop on the trunk after the sealer but was able to sand most of it out.  Looks better than I had hoped, clear is the messy part.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 10:21:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice , looks great
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 12:18:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1969GTX] [#32]
Thanks.  Let it sit for about an hour while I took a break and cleaned my spray gun.  Then laid two wet coats of SPI clear.  Went on pretty good but I did get some runs and sags as this stuff comes out runny.  Didn't want to reduce material because it was laying so nice, guess I could have sped up a bit but that usually gets me in more trouble.  It will be rock hard tomorrow and I will start cutting the finish.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 12:49:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 12:54:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Looking great myfakename! I hope your lungs forgive you someday...
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 2:34:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Dilbert_556:
Looking great myfakename! I hope your lungs forgive you someday...
View Quote

They will be fine. I used a respirator during all painting and cleaning. This stuff is nasty
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 12:55:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Time for pruney fingers and white concrete.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 1:25:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Love the hard work and determination OP...keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 1:46:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1969GTX] [#38]
Couple of shots of the fender in the sunlight
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Looks good.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 2:07:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dynamo] [#40]
View All Quotes

Seeing the work you put into that makes me ashamed I haven't done something with my B body. You're making us AZ folk look look lazy as hell.

Nice!  My first car was a '73 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus.  My dad got me a Road Runner Power Bulge hood for Christmas one year.  I loved that car though it was a love/hate relationship being a teenager with little money and little knowledge on keeping it running.

ETA: Nice work, OP!  I love seeing basket cases brought back to life.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 2:45:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Dynamo:

Nice!  My first car was a '73 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus.  My dad got me a Road Runner Power Bulge hood for Christmas one year.  I loved that car though it was a love/hate relationship being a teenager with little money and little knowledge on keeping it running.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/CDBNTX/Misc/1973Satellite.jpg

View All Quotes

Sweet ride. You even had the rally wheels.  

The RR is a '73 and my Sebring plus is a '74. I have a spare roadrunner hood, exhaust tips, dash plate, steering wheel and horn stored for the Satillite. However, the older I get the more I think I want to keep it original. Mine has a white top.

Did the '73 Satillites have a separate shoulder belt?
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#42]

The RR is a '73 and my Sebring plus is a '74. I have a spare roadrunner hood, exhaust tips, dash plate, steering wheel and horn stored for the Satillite. However, the older I get the more I think I want to keep it original. Mine has a white top.

View All Quotes

I don't think so but I could be wrong, I don't recall putting on 2 seat belts.  It's been 25 years since I last saw it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 4:03:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scottsfla] [#43]
I hope you killed all the rust. The last car I did I sand blasted the whole car and still have some rust starting to show after seven years.
Nice car.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 4:09:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Skillz...you got 'em.  And guts.

A big thank you from a Mopar lover for snatching another one from the jaws of the scrap pile...
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#45]
After 3 coats of SPI epoxy primer.  Everything looks good, seams sealed, only more blocking to do and prep the interior, engine compartment and trunk for paint.  Doing these so I can have a clean, straight run at painting the exterior.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/20161229-041952-120010.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/20161229-042002-120011.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/20161229-042122-120012.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/20161229-042149-120013.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/20161229-042337-120014.JPG
View Quote

wow

what a difference your work has made - it turned out really nice

very nice I like and look forward to seeing it run and driven
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 2:38:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By scottsfla:
I hope you killed all the rust. The last car I did I sand blasted the whole car and still have some rust starting to show after seven years.
Nice car.
View Quote

Only time will tell.  Big factor is the low humidity in AZ.  There are a few spots, one on the fender and one on the top of the quarter that were pitted.  They were blasted very well, sealed in epoxy so I hope it does the trick.  And we don't get very much rain or inclimate weather.

Started moving parts from the house to the car.  Got the fuel tank installed with new sending unit. Ran the brake lines and installed the master cylinder and wiper motor.  Installed the bumper brackets, radiator, horns and sway bar.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And I got out the new headliner (came with the car) and laid it out and inserted the tension rods.  I also ordered some sound deadener material (same as dynomat) for the roof, firewall, and floor.  Once I get that in I can install the headliner.
Attachment Attached File

And finally, I can upload pictures without refreshing everytime
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 3:03:17 PM EDT
[#48]

I don't think so but I could be wrong, I don't recall putting on 2 seat belts.  It's been 25 years since I last saw it.
View Quote

73 Chargers did, so I would assume the Plymouth's did too.
If you left the lap belt & shoulder belt clipped together you wouldn't notice that it was actually 2 belts.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#49]

If you left the lap belt & shoulder belt clipped together you wouldn't notice that it was actually 2 belts.
View All Quotes

My '73 RR has the two piece design. The '74 does not. It is somewhat noticable because the shoulder belt doesn't retract. I didn't know if that was a RR/sportier model thing or a year split thing. I was just curious. The '74 was designed not to engage the starter unless the belt is fastened.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#50]
if you didn't, before you fill the tank, make sure you used your old gasket and lock ring with that new sending unit.
The ones that come with them are thinner and WILL leak.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top