Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2016 12:12:27 AM EDT
Probably going to be buying one this Saturday, what do I need to be looking for? Taking my mechanic (dad) with me to look it over, but is there anything specific to that bike that could throw up a red flag? Is there a huge difference between the 07 and 08 models? Price is $5220 cash, $300 doc fee and $150 "prep" fee, is that a good price? And are those other fees par for the course when buying from a dealership?

ETA: mileage is10,XXX
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 1:13:48 AM EDT
[#1]
That price seems pretty high.  Plus you normally don't see those fees on used bikes.  

A new model of this bike goes for about $3700 more than what this dealership is asking for a 9 year old bike.

Local price for a 600RR
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 1:20:09 AM EDT
[#2]
That price is to high but if you really like it, its all yours. Bikes are simple for the most part if you dad is a mech he should be able to spot anything that looks out of place. Also everything newer in the sport bike world is fuel injected so no worries on carb issues. What I would do is when you find a bike you like just google search common problems. I picked up a 2000 R6 years ago and 2nd gear was going bad in it. Being new to sport bikes I actually thought the tire was slipping but i picked up on it rather quick and the dealer I bought the bike from took care of the issue no problem. What I am getting at though is the early 2000 R6's where well known for 2nd gear issues had I looked the bike up I would have found that out. So unless the bike has specific weak points everything else should be pretty easy to spot by a mechanic.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 1:23:11 AM EDT
[#3]
$450 fees on top of the selling price?   RUN!
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 1:27:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Go buy from a private seller rather than from a Stealership.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:21:52 AM EDT
[#5]
"Doc and Prep" fees are BS and don't apply to used purchases, anyway.

The 07 600RR was a new model and leap forward for Honda, not going to be any major differences between 07 and the next several year models

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:46:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input guys. I was planning on haggling them about the doc and prep fees. It seems like a load of crap to me
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:25:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Many have been raced. Check carefully, a generally ratty bike with pristine body is a sure clue. I'd also investigate those steering stops, too for any crash damage.

Also, price is way too high.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#8]
As mentioned above.

RUN!!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok I have pretty much changed my mind on the bike at the dealership unless they come off on that doc and prep fee but is $5500 really that bad of a price for a 07-08 with around 10k miles, everything I have found is right around there
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok now I'm finding some for $5000 is that a good price?
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I owned an 07. I bought it new so I never had any issues. Because it's a sport bike and no telling how it was maintained obv look at tires. Make sure they match, check wear, and see the date they were made and that they aren't too old. Chain and sprockets.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:28:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

this, they are fucking you charging those fee's on top of an already high price.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:29:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Ok now I'm finding some for $5000 is that a good price?
View Quote
That's still on the high side. Check your local Craigslist you should be able to get one cheaper that's still in good shape.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Would yall consider an aftermarket exhaust on a used bike a bad thing? Like a sign that the guy probably rode it hard?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Would yall consider an aftermarket exhaust on a used bike a bad thing? Like a sign that the guy probably rode it hard?
View Quote

not at all
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#16]
my son bought a 2005 with 6000miles for $3200 privately two years ago.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

not at all
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not at all

Good deal. Already having an exhaust is gonna save me about $500
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:32:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
no and even if he did they have a decent rev limiter and that motor is one tough sob .

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:54:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
no and even if he did they have a decent rev limiter and that motor is one tough sob .

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's good news! Thanks for the input
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Well if there's an exhaust and it hasn't been tuned I wouldn't like that. It'll make an already lean bike run leaner.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Obviously the bike has been down before. Does this look like it may have been layed over in a parking lot while sitting still? Or some highway sliding damage? Price is $4985 out the door, I'm sure that I can talk them down a few hundred because of the damage.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#22]

That's too much for a bike that's been down.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Even with the $500 exhaust?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Aftermarket mods don't really add value to a bike.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#25]
$4200  OBO

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:33:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Where is that one at?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:14:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just becomes an exhaust, or slip-on in this case, COSTS $500, doesn't mean it's WORTH $500.

Most people give no consideration whatsoever to actual performance gains when buying a pipe.  They see a name brand or hear noise, and think they've got something.

As mentioned earlier, unless it's been tuned well, it would probably run better with the stock pipe.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:10:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Just becomes an exhaust, or slip-on in this case, COSTS $500, doesn't mean it's WORTH $500.

Most people give no consideration whatsoever to actual performance gains when buying a pipe.  They see a name brand or hear noise, and think they've got something.

As mentioned earlier, unless it's been tuned well, it would probably run better with the stock pipe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell, a power commander with a real dyno tune will do much more for a completely stock bike then an exhaust with no tune.

When I managed a motorcycle shop we had a mobile dyno come to our bike nights and the owner always complained about people throwing pipes on with no tuning and then complaining about their HP when they ran it on the dyno.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:30:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Hell, a power commander with a real dyno tune will do much more for a completely stock bike then an exhaust with no tune.

When I managed a motorcycle shop we had a mobile dyno come to our bike nights and the owner always complained about people throwing pipes on with no tuning and then complaining about their HP when they ran it on the dyno.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, I see your point now. This is why I came on here to ask questions! Thanks
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#30]
If it's got a Yosh, Two Bros, Jardine or one of the big name pipes on it, it's very likely it was installed just for sound.

Back when race bikes were my thing, Arrow and Akropovic were the better names for Hondas.  Of course, full systems are really the way to go, but even an Akro slip-on would get you a little extra power, with tuning, of course.

But, then again, maybe all you want is sound, who am I to judge.  I used to enjoy tearing up the track.  Once in a while, I'd take my old F2 out and mix it up with the newer bikes (early 2000s).  It ain't the bike that makes you fast.

I always wanted to take my Hurricane out on the track, but, I'd be heartbroken if I threw it into the gravel.  Parts are pretty hard to find for those, even back then.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#31]
That price is crazy high. You could buy a new one for not much more
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If it's got a Yosh, Two Bros, Jardine or one of the big name pipes on it, it's very likely it was installed just for sound.

Back when race bikes were my thing, Arrow and Akropovic were the better names for Hondas.  Of course, full systems are really the way to go, but even an Akro slip-on would get you a little extra power, with tuning, of course.

But, then again, maybe all you want is sound, who am I to judge.  I used to enjoy tearing up the track.  Once in a while, I'd take my old F2 out and mix it up with the newer bikes (early 2000s).  It ain't the bike that makes you fast.

I always wanted to take my Hurricane out on the track, but, I'd be heartbroken if I threw it into the gravel.  Parts are pretty hard to find for those, even back then.
View Quote

It is a two bros, if I needed to get it tuned whats a ballpark price I could expect?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That price is crazy high. You could buy a new one for not much more
View Quote

The 2016 CBR600RR's I am seeing online are $11,500 of course they would come down a little im sure, but thats still double what they are asking for this one.

ETA: I just found an 07 with 13k miles for $3500 on craigslist, I think you are right.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It is a two bros, if I needed to get it tuned whats a ballpark price I could expect?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it doesn't already have one, you'll need a tuner for the bike.  I'm out of the loop, but, those used to be somewhere around  $3-400.  Then you'll need someone to actually tune the tuner.  That varies by region, I'm sure, but usually takes several hours on a dyno and laptop to get right.  That can get expensive, but, it's really the only right way to do it.

You could always use a canned tune, but, I've never found one that was worth the code it was written in.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#35]

That poor bike looks like assfucked shit.
He would have to pay me to take it off his hands.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Looking at  used bike?

Follow these simple steps.

Do your research first,

What do they sell for used in the local dealerships?
On-line?
Cycle Trader?
Local paper?
Kelly Blue Book (or equivalent).

Look at the bike in person.

Look at the bodywork.
Repainted = crashed

Open the gas tank up.
Look at the gas cap?
Is it rusted or corroded?
Is there "weird shit" on it?
Does the ignition key and gas cap key match?

Look inside of the tank.
Is it rusted or corroded?
Is there "weird shit" in it = (something like Kreeme gas tank sealant)?

Condition of the seat = recovered = crashed

Condition of the tires, chain / sprockets / handlebar grips / handlebar levers.
Tires worn to the wear indicators?
Center of tires worn down bald and flat?

Chain rusty and loose with no lube?
Sprockets = excessive wear = hook over?

Ask for the owners manual - No owners manual - what does he used for a guide to do maintenance?

Factory service manual?

Check out the engine for leaks, oil water, gas, whatever.

Check out the intake boots (between the carbs / injector bodies and the cylinder head) for cracks and aging.

Check out the condition of the brake and clutch fluid, is it clear?

If no clutch fluid, check the clutch cable for smooth operation and no wear / fraying / corrosion.

Sit on the bike.

Grasp the handlebars / clip-on's and turn them lock to lock.
Nothing should hang them up, cable, wiring bundles.

Get your helper to hold the bike, you sit on it, feet on the pegs.
Does it feel straight?

Bounce the suspension both front and back and at the same time.
Does it move smoothly?
Does it hang up?
Bottom out?
Top out with a noise?

Measure the sag with you on the bike, then measure the sag with you off the bike.
Compare that to the manufacturers claimer suspension travel.
Check the forks and shock and brakes for leaks.

Look at the brake pads for excessive wear.
Look at the brake caliper mounting hardware, are the bolts rounded off or do the look like they have never been off before.

Turn on the ignition and check the lights and horn and any others electrical equipment that may be mounted on the bike.
Is the wiring harness intact or has it been chewed up by rats or the previous or current owner?

Check the engine oil out? is it clean or is it dirty?
Ask the other to remove the oil cap and stick a clean paper towel in it to get a sample of the oil.

Remove the radiator cap (if it has one).
Check out the radiator fluid, is it topped off?
Does it look "fresh" or worn out?
Is there oil in the fluid?

Remove the seat and look at the condition of the wiring harness and also the air filter.
Stock air filter?
After market?
Condition?

Look at the frame and small bits and see of there is any paint flaking off from those areas.
Look at the small stuff that contacts the ground, does it look like it's been ground down?
Cracks?
"JB Weld" types fixes?

By now you should be getting the picture...
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:55:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Probably going to be buying one this Saturday, what do I need to be looking for? Taking my mechanic (dad) with me to look it over, but is there anything specific to that bike that could throw up a red flag? Is there a huge difference between the 07 and 08 models? Price is $5220 cash, $300 doc fee and $150 "prep" fee, is that a good price? And are those other fees par for the course when buying from a dealership?

ETA: mileage is10,XXX
View Quote

There is no difference between the 07-08 model. I would check and make sure the vin # matches the title. The 10th digit is the year of the bike, vin should be on the left side under the tank(if I remember correctly). Make sure the fairing is OEM and not some cheap Chinese crap. The knock off fairing is really thin compare to OEM,
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:25:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Picked up an 07 with 13k miles for $3300. Mechanically and structurally it is in excellent shape. It needs some cosmetic work, left passenger peg is bent, already replaced with $16 part from ebay that is an exact match. Fairings are shot, will be replacing with chinese ones, yes I know, I know but this is my first sport bike and I don't intend on it being a show piece, more like a pseudo daily driver. Its got a few rusty bolts which I will replace with oem parts from http://www.hondaparts-direct.com, same goes for the turn signal housing which is cracked.

Apologies in advance for size of pic, dont know how to resize.

ETA: Nevermind, picture isnt that big, it was 5X bigger in the preview.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top