Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2015 11:01:51 PM EDT
My buddy and I are trying with the idea of getting bikes and I was looking for some feedback.  I am still about a year away from getting one but I like to look around and get feedback.  

I like the "naked" look and I think I have narrowed it down to a few that I like.

Ducati Monster 795 (or perhaps a used 696)
KTM Duke 690
Honda CB500F

I know the honda is not really in the same class, but realistically its probably closer to what I need seeing as this will be my first bike.

What say you? i REALLY like the Duke, but it is a single cylinder which could get a bit old on longer trips due to the vibration.

This will be a weekend, back roads never get on the highway bike to just cruise around on.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:31:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a used SV650.  That's what most everyone will tell you.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:53:25 AM EDT
[#2]
A 500 has enough power to kill you.  You can get more, but you'll have fun on a 500.  I miss mine.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:56:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I love big singles... so I would get the Duke!
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:00:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Honda Shadow 750.

Yeah, it's a cruiser but they are super cheap and pretty nice
I learned on a Suzuki Katana 600 and bought a shadow shortly thereafter, wish I'd just bought the shadow first.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:46:55 AM EDT
[#5]
wow, really liking the GSX-S750 now, didn't even look at suzuki yet.

It seems like it would be a bit sporty for a first bike, but Im not ever going to get racy with it.

edit - no ABS or traction control.. hmmmm, might not be the best
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#6]
If you're looking into the Monsters, step it up to the 821.  It will require a lot less maintenance through it's life than the 796/696.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:01:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're looking into the Monsters, step it up to the 821.  It will require a lot less maintenance through it's life than the 796/696.
View Quote

how / why so?  can you elaborate?  I am in the learning phase, would appreciate any and all info.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:30:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Maint. intervals for the bikes:  796 - 7,500 miles / 821 - 9,000 miles.

Valve clearance check: 796 - 7,500 miles / 821 - 18,000 miles.

796 is a air/oil cooled 2 valve, 821 is a water cooled 4 valve.

You can compare bike specs on Ducati's website.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy a DRZ400 or other dual sport and ride it for a year.  If you drop it then it's no big deal.  Then get what you really want after you get some experience.  Either trade it towards what you want (if you buy used on the dual sport you won't lose much) or keep it like I did as they're fun "go anywhere" bikes.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#10]
FPNI... SV all the way.
Or get what I have a Suzuki bandit 1200. Parts are cheap andthey have a provin engine design.

But as always everyone loves their own bike and recommends whatever they ride.

-Gary
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I really like my Duke. I went from a 990 twin to the 690 single on the Duke...and its the most fun I've had on two wheels. After the power commander, cam, and akrapovic exhaust, it dynoed right at 70 wheel horsepower, which is plenty for the 330ish pound bike.  

All I have is a potato picture...

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:11:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Get a used SV650.  That's what most everyone will tell you.
View Quote

Probably one of the best "beginner" bikes out there.  Make for decent track bikes too from what I've read if you decide to get into that down the line.

Aside from that, honestly OP get something that's not super expensive but is in the "style/class" bike that you think you want.  You stand the highest chance of laying it down in your first few years while you're getting acquainted with riding.  More than likely it'll be from something stupid and embarrassing like forgetting to clutch in at a stop sign and falling over at a very low rate of speed, slipping on the oil slick at a stop light, or hitting a patch of gravel/sand and losing traction (hopefully at a low rate of speed as well).  

ABS and traction are cool....but not really an absolute necessity IMHO.  They're for sure nice features to have though, but for a learning bike I'd not make them a priority.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:59:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Appreciate the feedback guys, keep it coming!

I went by a cycle shack today after work to brows a bit and sit on a few bikes.  I must say, I REALLY like the Yamaha FZ-07.  

I was able to cross the Honday CB500F off the list, just too cheap and I felt way to big on it.  I still very much like the Duke 690 as well, but I am skeptical about how it will handle longer 60-70mph stretches of a road trip.  Most reviews i've read say it gets pretty vibrate'ee at higher speeds.

If I were buying today, which I am not, i'd have a very hard time picking between the FZ-07 and the Duke 690.

Ive got plenty of time and I am not rushing into anything.  I'd really like to get a use bike, but the two I fell in love with are pretty much new within the last two years....

Oh, and I really wouldn't mind a Monster 821 Dark either, but I don't think I need to get a Ducti as my first bike..... do I???
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:33:00 PM EDT
[#14]
In before the 250 guy.

Ninja 650 or SV650.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:11:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Ducati's clutches take a little getting used to. I'd go with the FZ if I were you. Not to mention that the Ducati is going to be Ducati prices when you drop it in a few months. It gets expensive. Trust me, I own one of their superbikes.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

but I don't think I need to get a Ducti as my first bike..... do I???
View Quote

"Need" has got nothing to do with it bro .  I absolutely love Ducati's, will probably own one someday but it won't be for a while I bet.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ducati's clutches take a little getting used to. I'd go with the FZ if I were you. Not to mention that the Ducati is going to be Ducati prices when you drop it in a few months. It gets expensive. Trust me, I own one of their superbikes.
View Quote

Not the 821 or 796.  Both are oil bath slipper clutches.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:13:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Never been asked before.

Ktm superduke would be a good one to start on.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:I don't think I need to get a Ducti as my first bike..... do I???
View Quote

No, you don't need one as your first bike, but I wanted to point you in the right direction for when you think you're ready.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#20]
My first bike was a Honda Shadow 750.  Next was a Yamaha FZ6R.  It's a really fun bike, light; maneuverable and quick enough for a new guy to get a little rush without worrying about it getting out from under you.  It has an upright riding position which is nice.

I just got a Triumph Street Triple R (675) which is even better with a similar riding position.

The lighter 600 cc bikes are really fun, and quick.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Sv650s.

It's the closest you can get to a recent touring bike for less than 3k. You will want a different seat though, Corbin is my goto. I routinely ride mine on 4+ hour trips.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:56:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Naked bikes are fun in the city and on twisty back roads.  They suck royally if you have to spend any time going more than 60mph in a straight line.  You would be better off getting the X model of the CB500 series.  

Just for reference, I owned the CB500F for about a year and a half.

The day I bought it.

How it looked when on my last long trip on it.

And what I traded it in for when I got tired of getting beat up on long distance rides.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:27:49 AM EDT
[#23]
SV650.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top