Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2017 5:43:16 PM EDT
Why won't he let me Section 179 a boat?

Is it because I am a sole proprietor?

Here's the interesting part, I never use the boat with out a client/prospect.

Am I going to be forced to put the boat in an LLC then take the depreciation and then rent it to my dad to charter?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:58:26 PM EDT
[#1]
IMO he should be willing and able to explain it to you so you don't have to ask ARFCOM.  My guess is it has to do with your CPA's reading of § 274(a) of the code and/or the IRS's interpretation of that section.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#2]
When I read one of Kiyosaki's books, he wanted a boat. So he bought a boat to use for charters.

Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:08:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I have section 179'd a variety of things from dirt bikes to other toys. My accountant will let me use the 179 deduction on whatever I want all she tells me is if for some reason the IRS looks into it you better be able to prove it as a legitimate expense.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IMO he should be willing and able to explain it to you so you don't have to ask ARFCOM.  My guess is it has to do with your CPA's reading of § 274(a) of the code and/or the IRS's interpretation of that section.
View Quote
That's the problem he says that it's not part of my primary business, in which I call BS because client acquisition is the main part of my business.

In addition to that, I feel like the boat should be able to be held in an LLC in which I can rent it when I chose and others may rent it as they choose.

The business would be profitable, outside of the first year only due to bonus depreciation on that first year in which that depreciation should reduce my income on my schedule C.

My records are also very well kept.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:56:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
When I read one of Kiyosaki's books, he wanted a boat. So he bought a boat to use for charters.

View Quote
That's actually what I am working on right now. I want to buy a boat around $75,000 then do a lease back to a local charter captain. Basically the boat will be held in an LLC and the captain will pay me every time he takes someone out fishing. It lower his overhead and I have a full shop in which I can do repairs outside of warranty work and when the warranty runs out.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's actually what I am working on right now. I want to buy a boat around $75,000 then do a lease back to a local charter captain. Basically the boat will be held in an LLC and the captain will pay me every time he takes someone out fishing. It lower his overhead and I have a full shop in which I can do repairs outside of warranty work and when the warranty runs out.
View Quote
I think that's the best way to do it. That way all the repairs and maintenance are a liability of the LLC.

I'm trying to buy a 2017 Toyota Highlander using the deduction. Waiting on my CPA to reply.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think that's the best way to do it. That way all the repairs and maintenance are a liability of the LLC.

I'm trying to buy a 2017 Toyota Highlander using the deduction. Waiting on my CPA to reply.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I think it may work, I just don't know what my CPA is going to say, I mean how much money do I need to make with the boat?

I am interested about the highlander.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Rumor has it, you're a shitty businessman, and broke even on operation of the business after you fully depreciated the asset.

Add to insult, you sold it back to yourself out of frustration for pennies on the dollar.

The IRS never said a business has to make a profit. Just have a profit motive. Just look at Amazon or Uber, in massive debt.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Rumor has it, you're a shitty businessman, and broke even on operation of the business after you fully depreciated the asset.

Add to insult, you sold it back to yourself out of frustration for pennies on the dollar.

The IRS never said a business has to make a profit. Just have a profit motive. Just look at Amazon or Uber, in massive debt.
View Quote
I know what you mean about a failed business, the store we had a few years back ended up costing us about $75,000 in actual real money losses, as in I had the cash then I used it to pay off the debts and I didn't have anything left in the business account anymore.

I think substance over matter may come into play if I sold it to myself for pennies on the dollar. I'd just get it surveyed and used that value if the business went tits up. I always know someone wanting to buy some boats.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#10]
LOL, I didn't know about your past endeavors, and was only being facetious.

I wasn't being serious about you being a crappy businessman
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:08:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
LOL, I didn't know about your past endeavors, and was only being facetious.

I wasn't being serious about you being a crappy businessman
View Quote
lol....I know

It was an expensive lesson, but you learn along from wiping out your savings. And I still had to fucking pay uncle sam that year.

I been thinking about this all today, it seems like the easiest way to handle it is just let the boat exist in it's own LLC and then charge rent to who ever uses it.

That would be my dad, another charter captain, myself etc.

That should put my CPA's mind at ease, if it's used personally it get's documents and rent is paid.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have section 179'd a variety of things from dirt bikes to other toys. My accountant will let me use the 179 deduction on whatever I want all she tells me is if for some reason the IRS looks into it you better be able to prove it as a legitimate expense.
View Quote
How do you justify it with dirt bikes and toys?
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably has a farm/ranch and uses them there to check things and fix things.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I had the other thread going.....I may get a used hull and repower. I think I can bonus depreciate the engines.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:10:47 PM EDT
[#15]
From IRS.gov:

Investment Use
The use of property to produce income in a nonbusiness activity (investment use) is not a qualified business use. However, you can treat the investment use as business use to figure the depreciation deduction for the property in a given year.

Example 1.

Sarah Bradley uses a home computer 50% of the time to manage her investments. She also uses the computer 40% of the time in her part-time consumer research business. Sarah's home computer is listed property because it is not used at a regular business establishment. She does not use the computer predominantly for qualified business use. Therefore, she cannot elect a section 179 deduction or claim a special depreciation allowance for the computer. She must depreciate it using the straight line method over the ADS recovery period. Her combined business/investment use for determining her depreciation deduction is 90%.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:49:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
From IRS.gov:

Investment Use
The use of property to produce income in a nonbusiness activity (investment use) is not a qualified business use. However, you can treat the investment use as business use to figure the depreciation deduction for the property in a given year.

Example 1.

Sarah Bradley uses a home computer 50% of the time to manage her investments. She also uses the computer 40% of the time in her part-time consumer research business. Sarah's home computer is listed property because it is not used at a regular business establishment. She does not use the computer predominantly for qualified business use. Therefore, she cannot elect a section 179 deduction or claim a special depreciation allowance for the computer. She must depreciate it using the straight line method over the ADS recovery period. Her combined business/investment use for determining her depreciation deduction is 90%.
View Quote
That makes more sense.

Now I wonder how engines play into this.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
No, I volunteer with a  non profit off road trail maintenance group. I do get work and referrals because I am part of that group. I can't completely expense my toys but I can part of the cost. No different than if you are in the local Corvette club and use it as a networking opportunity you can expense part of your Corvette(s) as long as you can prove that you get more business because you are in the club. Hell you probably could write of some firearm expenses if you took your employees/customers/potential customers on "range days" in hopes of obtaining more jobs/work. No different than writing off that round of golf and drinks that you talked business during.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 12:05:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No, I volunteer with a  non profit off road trail maintenance group. I do get work and referrals because I am part of that group. I can't completely expense my toys but I can part of the cost. No different than if you are in the local Corvette club and use it as a networking opportunity you can expense part of your Corvette(s) as long as you can prove that you get more business because you are in the club. Hell you probably could write of some firearm expenses if you took your employees/customers/potential customers on "range days" in hopes of obtaining more jobs/work. No different than writing off that round of golf and drinks that you talked business during.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear ya.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top