Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2016 11:00:15 AM EDT
I have Bing set as my search engine when I type a search into the address bar. For the last 24hrs or so whenever I type a search I get Charter's stupid and useless search results. I tried resetting my preferences in IE tools with no change. I'm not very knowledgeable with this stuff and trying to search for answers when all I get is Charter crap isn't helping. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:16:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Call Charter and ask WTF
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you typing your searches into the address bar or the search box?
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Better question is why are you using IE?  Run a spare check on your system you might have got click jacked.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Better question is why are you using IE?  Run a spare check on your system you might have got click jacked.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Address bar.

By spare check do you mean an unscheduled virus scan?

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry meant spyware.  Not sure why it came out like that.  Malwarebytes is what I would use.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are just typing what you are searching for in the address bar then try changing your DNS server to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4. Sounds like they might redirecting you via DNS.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:17:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you are just typing what you are searching for in the address bar then try changing your DNS server to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4. Sounds like they might redirecting you via DNS.
View Quote

Right, exactly.  It's DNS re-directs.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 3:23:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the process for changing the DNS server? Is there a downside or risk for doing this?
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What is the process for changing the DNS server? Is there a downside or risk for doing this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go into your router ad under the IP settings you can type them in there for DNS.  Personally I use OpenDNS.  There is no downside or risk to doing this.

Also here is a guide.  OpenDNS
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Go into your router ad under the IP settings you can type them in there for DNS.  Personally I use OpenDNS.  There is no downside or risk to doing this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I will look at that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:47:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Install a better browser.

I recommend Firefox simply because I don't trust Google not to rape Chrome for my personal info.  Also, you can install NoScript and Ghostery in Firefox.

Then get a VPN service, I recommend Private Internet Access.

ETA
DuH, of course it's the DNS...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top