Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2016 9:08:58 PM EDT
I have a  Sager/Clevo P170EM I bought in late 2012.  128GB SSD, 750HDD.  SSD is C: drive with Steam/games on it.  I ordered a 500GB Samsung 850Evo SSD to replace the 128GB.  I can see how to get the HDD out, but not the goddamn 128GB.  I have the 500GB SSD currently connected via USB (bought an external housing with it).  If I have to use it as an external, I will, I'm just completely out of space on my C: drive.  I'd prefer the new SSD be my C drive, but I can't figure out physically how to find/get the original SSD out.  I'd also need to transfer EVERYTHING from the C to the new drive, and I figure I'll fuck that up somehow.

Any help would be appreciated.  I'd even order a couple PMAGs and have them mailed to you, I don't care.  I miss ARMA 3 and having the ability to receive fucking email.

ETA: New problem, just noticed it doesn't actually pop up as a drive in My Computer, it's connected, light is on the powered box.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:32:37 PM EDT
[#1]
A quick Google of that model shows that one drive is kind of in the middle next to the battery and the other is under the optical drive (I would assume that you would have to remove the optical drive to get to it).

Your Samsung drive should have come with Samsung Magician software. Plug new drive in via USB. Start the Magician software. I don't remember the exact steps, but it is pretty self explanatory. Click clone. When it is finished, shut down the computer. Swap in the new Samsung drive and turn on the computer. The cloning process moves everything over and your new drive is now your new 'C' drive. Keep your old SSD alone for a little bit in case something goes wrong. In a few weeks or months, you can format it and use it for something else.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 5:41:39 AM EDT
[#2]
That part I read about, but right now I can't even get it to show that it's reading the new drive, it doesn't show up when I plug it in.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 6:15:20 AM EDT
[#3]
For me, It's easy to do but hard to Explain. In a nutshell I would first clone the old drive to an external  drive or 256gb USB. Then install the new drive and use the cloning software to replace your operating system.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 6:17:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That part I read about, but right now I can't even get it to show that it's reading the new drive, it doesn't show up when I plug it in.
View Quote

It may need to be formatted with Windows disk utility.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:00:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Control Panel  > System & Security > admin tools > computer management > Disk Management?

I guess I'm not understanding what my path would be if it won't even show up in My Computer.  My external hard drive does, but this one won't.  How do I get it to be able to format it?
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Control Panel  > System & Security > admin tools > computer management > Disk Management?

I guess I'm not understanding what my path would be if it won't even show up in My Computer.  My external hard drive does, but this one won't.  How do I get it to be able to format it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't show up in disk management?
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:19:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm on post at work, I don't have it with me.  I was just googling earlier and that's what I found.  I have no idea if that's going to make a difference.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 12:51:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm on post at work, I don't have it with me.  I was just googling earlier and that's what I found.  I have no idea if that's going to make a difference.
View Quote

If it doesn't show up in disk management, then take it out of the USB enclosure and stick it where the HDD used to be and see if you can clone it there.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 2:07:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If it doesn't show up in disk management, then take it out of the USB enclosure and stick it where the HDD used to be and see if you can clone it there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't removed the HDD's at all, I was going to 'copy' it over to the new drive, then replace it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks!

Under the battery?

I was told under the optical drive, but I'll look again.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:35:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Okay got the new drive formatted and cloned the current C drive.. just can't figure out how to replace the current C drive.  And will this "G" drive become the C drive when installed, or is that under disk management too?  That going to cause issues?
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:18:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:08:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Thank you very much, that was a great post.  Have that video up on my PS4, watched it once, I'm going to turn the laptop off and watch it while doing the steps.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#15]
You may be past this point - I had trouble with the magician software recognizing the samsung drive in an external enclosure.  Turned out it had to hooked up by wire and not in an enclosure (what difference it makes is beyond me).

I ended up just doing a clean install on everything.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#16]
And I'm back.  Up and running.  Thanks for everything guys.

I kept running issues with my old C drive not having enough space to actually do the drive clone, moved some stuff to my HDD and it worked.  Physical install was easy, that video was a life saver.  Seems self explanatory now, but I needed it.  Updating all my shit that I haven't been able to for a few months, and I'm even getting emails again!  

Thanks again all
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#19]
I didn't bother finding that 3rd slot yet, wanted to make sure everything worked first.  I might venture into it tomorrow since I have the day off.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Awesome, I can handle that tomorrow.

Any idea if I can upgrade the GPU on this one?  Have a GTX675M I think.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:47:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 12:07:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
scroll down towards the bottom of the page,

http://www.eurocom.com/ec/vgas(1)ec
View Quote

Bad.  Ass.

Thanks dude.

Just gotta figure out if I can justify a grand for this.. main game I play is ARMA 3.. dunno if it's worth that much for a game that isn't overly optimized to begin with.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 6:46:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top