Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2015 2:24:23 PM EDT
So I treated myself to a GoPro Hero4 Silver.

The camera came with a bundled package that also included a LowePro case and a 16gb SD card.

The 16GB card will be back-up as needed, but clearly this camera needs more SD muscle.

I did some homework and I believe I've settled on this:

Class 10, 64GB and seems to have perfect performance numbers for HD video.

Any of you guys have thoughts on this? Curious if this will be a sufficient SD card. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 3:12:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 3:21:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, Class 10 UHS 3 is the latest and greatest.

Grabbed some at (the normally outrageously expensive) Best Buy for next to nothing a few months ago.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I use that same card in my hero3 silver and it works great.
View Quote

Good to hear.

I'll be recording at 1080/60fps.

Any idea how much recording time I'll likely get?
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Grabbed some at (the normally outrageously expensive) Best Buy for next to nothing a few months ago.
View Quote

GoPro has recommended SD cards....and Sandisk is one of them.

The models they suggest have a UHS rating of 1. Could be that 3 is "better" and newer and the site hasn't updated the desired specs?

I have no clue what a 1 v 3 means in practical terms. Is the UHS rating important?

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 3:45:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a class 10 32 gig in my hero 3 black. Works fine.

It's good for a few hours of recording, and I do 1080p60 as well.

I say a few hours, you'll run out of battery long before you fill the card, even at 32GB. 64, I can't even begin to guess how much that will hold.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 8:38:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The models they suggest have a UHS rating of 1. Could be that 3 is "better" and newer and the site hasn't updated the desired specs?

I have no clue what a 1 v 3 means in practical terms. Is the UHS rating important?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suspect they just haven't updated their site; faster isn't going to hurt anything.

I don't know why they did this this way, but the CLASS = the data speed (2=2MB/s, 4=4MB/s, etc.) up to CLASS 10.  Beyond 10MB/s they apply a UHS rating.  There are only UHS 1 = 10MB/s and 3 = 30MB/s.  Using the CLASS nomenclature, CLASS 10 UHS 3 would be a CLASS 30 card.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:35:43 AM EDT
[#7]
From what I've read the Sandisk class 1 sd cards are discontinued.  I ordered one and Amazon sent me a 3 (64gb).  Haven't tried it yet, but guessing it'll be fine in a Hero 4 Black.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:18:39 PM EDT
[#8]
It works out to about 300mb per minute shooting at 1080p.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top