Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2014 9:47:33 PM EDT
A while back I picked up a 1TB WD external drive to back up my other older WD 750MB drive.
I was going thru the directories to try and organize a bit and saw a bunch showed up as 'no files found"

Poked around , and while it looks like most of what shows as empty I may have moved elsewhere to consolidate, it odd that I left the folder, it still seems like I may be missing some.

I there any decent free/cheap software that could scan the directory and see if something is missing?

On the plus side, I found a stash I thought didn't get backed up of our 3 yr old when our laptops were stolen, so thats good

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:46:21 AM EDT
[#1]
"Recuva" gets good reviews.  However, I don't know how well you can limit its scans when dealing with large hard drives.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:10:58 PM EDT
[#2]
For the home user I would recommend PhotoRec. There are many tools that I use for recovery but most of the advanced tools are only available in Linux.

www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

C|HFI
Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:08:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For the home user I would recommend PhotoRec. There are many tools that I use for recovery but most of the advanced tools are only available in Linux.

www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

C|HFI
Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator
View Quote

I actually downloaded that a couple days ago.
36 hours to process a 750MB drive, but it seems like it worked. Now to sort thru everything it found.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Agree with PhotoRec. Excellent piece of software.
Top Top