Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2017 9:33:59 AM EDT
...the combat is kicking my ass.  I am not good at the whole dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge aspect of it.  

I am used to Skyrim and Fallout, and this is a very different take on the combat.  I have never played any of the earlier Witcher games.

Any tips that'll help me through the learning curve portion of the game?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:58:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't played in over a year but I think the biggest thing for me was to not get surrounded and do my best to keep all enemies in front of me.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:06:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Use quen to rest and/or to buy time to chug a potion.  I like to hit 'em with Igni too. Everybody's a tough guy until they're on fire. Works great for getting them bucked off their horse if you're on foot too.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I never did get used to the combat system.  Ended up playing something else, which is a shame because it seemed like an awesome game otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#4]
The alternate quen sign is pretty powerful. OP even, if you build it right.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:14:26 AM EDT
[#5]
There is definitely a learning curve to the combat; but once you learn it

Seriously, try to stick with it because it is well worth the effort.  Great game all around.  I'm on my NG+ play through now and it is just as good the second time around
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:01:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I've not played it in a while either but IIRC it was about learning how each creature fights and then learning their tells for their moves.  Once you learn that then the fights become quite easy.  The in-game bestiary was quite detailed and even tells you what signs each creature is weak to.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:23:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Skyrim > witcher
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:29:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Skyrim > witcher
View Quote
Wrong.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:39:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Skyrim > witcher
View Quote

There's no shame (well, not that much shame) in playing on the easiest setting.  You can bump it up once you get the hang of the combat.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Learning how to deflect attacks was difficult for me. Build up the sign that confuses enemies.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Easy mode FTW
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Dodging is a big part of it.  Use dodge and roll a lot.  Keeping weapons and equipment in good repair and upgrading them often so they stay near your level is also a good idea.

Also, make sure you aren't taking on enemies too far above your own level.  Especially in the early game, enemies even a couple of levels above you can be tough.

Finally, just play on the easiest difficulty.  The story of the game is so good that it would be a shame to quit it just because the combat is too punishing to be fun.  I play games like the Witcher for the story, and having it on easy mode allows you to move through combat faster as a means to an end, and also allows you to avoid a lot of immersion-breaking load screens.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:12:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Roll, roll, and then roll some more. Always be on the outside if you are fighting multiple enemies. Eventually you will get used to it and will be able to stand in the middle and block everything.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:57:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I am pretty solid with the dodge and roll- when against a single enemy, even a vastly more powerful one.  Where I am really struggling is with the groups- they swarm me, attack from all sides, re-swarm when I run off to one side, etc.  You know, the things a real enemy would do but rarely happens in games.  And my "watch for tells" and avoid-the-pointy-parts skills aren't very good when I'm in the middle of "make TAP bleed" fest.

Am liking the game, but sure get killed a lot...
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:11:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Skyrim > witcher
View Quote
Skyrim is better if all you want is exploration and character development.  

TW3 is better if you want actual story and depth.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:51:32 AM EDT
[#16]
My sister plays this game. But that is of no help.

If you need help with Halo 3 holla at me dawg.

Sister also said they are making a Witcher Netflix series for those who don't know.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:09:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am pretty solid with the dodge and roll- when against a single enemy, even a vastly more powerful one.  Where I am really struggling is with the groups- they swarm me, attack from all sides, re-swarm when I run off to one side, etc.  You know, the things a real enemy would do but rarely happens in games.  And my "watch for tells" and avoid-the-pointy-parts skills aren't very good when I'm in the middle of "make TAP bleed" fest.

View Quote
A man's gotta know his limits.

Pick your fights. If there's a group of hostiles, try to use a ranged weapon to alert only one or two, then whittle the group down until you can handle the remainder.  There are a few situations where you can't avoid the mob fight, so you have to run, a lot.  String them out, take a couple of swings, rinse and repeat until you have the group down to a manageable size.  This can take a long time if they are high level, so be patient.  Geralt's biggest advantage is that he is faster than just about anything in the game, so you're going to have to use that until you get him to the point that he is stronger.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:31:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Axii with control 2 targets or quen with knock back can even the odds in a hurry.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:59:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Put all available points into "whirl" and anything that gives you adrenaline points. Spec into "gourmet" (brown skill tree) get the cat school gear and you'll be a tornado of death.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Dump all points till you get to 0 damage during rolls.

THAT is HUGE!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top