Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2017 3:06:20 PM EDT
Whats everyone using for the xb1/ps4 or if the pc ones are compatible they're welcome also.

Pro/con of them.(built, sound quality etc)

How long they are worn (comfort level).

How long you've had them.

And price point of them.

Im currently using the s4 phone earbuds and they're definitely not the greatest but they work.  im currently looking for some and maybe this thread will help others in the same position.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a HyperX Cloud headset.  Its well constructed (aluminum frame, velour and regular ear cups, detachable mic) but I get a lot of popping and static.  Not sure if its the headphones or the adapter they are plugged into causing it.  I think I paid around $75.00 shipped on Amazon.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I picked a cheap one at WalMart it was the Turtle Beach 40?? it just has one over the ear speaker and the mic with a single plug.

Good thing it was only $15 and it was in store
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:39:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Had a cheap ass Logitech gaming headset for a few years, worked fine

I just bought these Steelseries Arctis 7

Love them. Steel headband, the plastic bits are solid with steel pivots. Mic is retractable with an LED inside that lets you know when it's muted. Battery lasts a long time. Has a dial to mix game and chat audio. No going back to cords.

Sound is pretty good, a little light on bass though. I have big ears, so the cups are a little shallow for me, but I'm getting used to it (supposedly the leather cushions help). The ski goggle suspension is great,
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:55:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:57:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Buy once, cry once.

beyerdynamic MMX300. You won't ever need another set. Audiophile-grade sound reproduction and an aviation mic. Cups are so comfortable you could literally wear them all day.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:34:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I use a Razer Carcharias headset I got from Best Buy on sale a few years ago. My son bought a wireless Astro headset last summer.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:47:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Most gaming headsets are junk.  They might sound OK to you, but the microphones they use are really bad.  I recommend getting a good open ear set of headphones and an antlion mod mic.  You'll spend less than you would on a "gaming headset" and you'll get way better quality.

-DJ
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most gaming headsets are junk.  They might sound OK to you, but the microphones they use are really bad.  I recommend getting a good open ear set of headphones and an antlion mod mic.  You'll spend less than you would on a "gaming headset" and you'll get way better quality.

-DJ
View Quote
This, absolutely agree. I understand most people don't want to spend a lot of money on a headset but the "gaming" ones are generally ripoffs. Hyper clouds are probably the only gaming cans that are decent for the money.

Pick 2:
-Wireless
-Affordable
-Decent sound
If you say you have all 3 in a headset you're lying to yourself, just be aware of that when shopping.

That said, for wireless headsets on PS4 I think the sony golds are probably the best bang for your buck. I had some Turtle beach p500s and they went down QUICK, I will never buy TB again.

For PC I think the only way to go is wired. I have Sennheiser HD558s. They're very affordable on sale (~70), are comfortable, and offer fantastic sound for the price. Build quality is decent and the cord is detachable which is nice if you have pets that like to chew on stuff.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:45:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Ive used turtle beach and polk audio
The tb crapped the bed all 4 of them (2 mine 2kids)
The polk sound decent but i had a very hard time wearing for more than an hourat a time

I dont need wireless i basically want affordable with good sound

May give the cloud ones a try,  anymore info on the open ear ones idk what that really is..
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 11:23:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The polk sound decent but i had a very hard time wearing for more than an hourat a time

May give the cloud ones a try,  anymore info on the open ear ones idk what that really is..
View Quote
Closed headphones have solid material behind the drivers. Most over the ear headphones generally are closed. If you've ever used noise cancelling headphones then you've used closed headphones. Open headphones generally have mesh or similar materials that allow air through behind the drivers. Closed ear headphones don't leak sound in or out but generally have over powering bass, muffled highs/lows, or general muddy sound quality. GENERALLY being the key word, some closed back sets have nice sound quality but they're usually very expensive. Open back headphones usually have better sound quality even though they can sometimes have weaker bass. When I say weaker bass keep in mind you usually won't get that over powering bass sound that drowns out the highs. Some people do like that though so it's up to you. Open back will offer better sound reproduction overall (quiet corridors, vocals, mechanical sounds), closed back will have more convincing gun fire, explosions, etc. Open back headphones can let in sound though if you don't have a quiet area. They also let a lot of sound out as well though so keep that in mind. My wife can usually hear when my friends are talking.

If you were talking cars an open back set of headphones would sound like the premium factory system in a car. Closed back would sound like an aftermarket system with a couple subwoofers. I personally prefer open in that comparison but obviously others would prefer closed. Best buy might have some you can compare to decide for yourself.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:12:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks that helps alot.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I use creative labs Blaster X Pro
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Closed headphones have solid material behind the drivers. Most over the ear headphones generally are closed. If you've ever used noise cancelling headphones then you've used closed headphones. Open headphones generally have mesh or similar materials that allow air through behind the drivers. Closed ear headphones don't leak sound in or out but generally have over powering bass, muffled highs/lows, or general muddy sound quality. GENERALLY being the key word, some closed back sets have nice sound quality but they're usually very expensive. Open back headphones usually have better sound quality even though they can sometimes have weaker bass. When I say weaker bass keep in mind you usually won't get that over powering bass sound that drowns out the highs. Some people do like that though so it's up to you. Open back will offer better sound reproduction overall (quiet corridors, vocals, mechanical sounds), closed back will have more convincing gun fire, explosions, etc. Open back headphones can let in sound though if you don't have a quiet area. They also let a lot of sound out as well though so keep that in mind. My wife can usually hear when my friends are talking.

If you were talking cars an open back set of headphones would sound like the premium factory system in a car. Closed back would sound like an aftermarket system with a couple subwoofers. I personally prefer open in that comparison but obviously others would prefer closed. Best buy might have some you can compare to decide for yourself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much. The MMX 300s I mentioned earlier are closed, but they sound excellent. Ain't cheap though. Closed are a lot nicer if you're playing with someone else in the room doing something else. You can have sound volume up quite a bit and nobody's hearing what's going on. Open, someone across the room will hear everything happening on your headphones even at medium volume.

EDIT: Holy S, maybe they are cheap, at least for the time being. Rakuten's got a sale for almost half price going: $239.04

Sure beat the hell out of some crappy Astros.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#14]
he said $239 is cheap..  nah i get what your saying they do look like theyre great but i cant really afford that atm haha.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:37:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
he said $239 is cheap..  nah i get what your saying they do look like theyre great but i cant really afford that atm haha.
View Quote
$239 is cheap considering they're ~$400 headphones and deliver way better mic and driver quality than a $200 gaming headset from other manufacturers. I guess it's relative.

It's worth it to me because I loves my music, and those do the job of being a gaming headset and regular hi-fi listening headphones all in one.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:09:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I played a lot of COD and sound whored the shit out of people with a pair of iPhone ear buds.

You don't necessarily have to spend big bucks on a headset or mic.
View Quote
Haha. I like the earbuds but the mic isnt the best since other cant really hear me. Other then that theyre not bad.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:14:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
$239 is cheap considering they're ~$400 headphones and deliver way better mic and driver quality than a $200 gaming headset from other manufacturers. I guess it's relative.

It's worth it to me because I loves my music, and those do the job of being a gaming headset and regular hi-fi listening headphones all in one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right the astros a50 was 149 so getting a head set thats a few bucks more that is a ton better id save up for them instead..  im looking into the less then 100 area since i dont get alot of time to play with others and if im playing a game alone i have the surround sound
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:56:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#20]
That's really funny. I run Sennheiser(sp) HD 558's and for the price you really can't beat them.

The thing I like about open ear headphones is you have a much better spatial awareness of where sound is coming from. Not just direction, but distance as well.  Sacrificing brain melting bass is worth it to me.  I have a sound system dedicated for listening to music if I want to hear bass.

-DJ
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

These?

Actually took them out of the package yesterday at Fry's (someone had already opened them) to try them on, very comfortable.

Might give them a go.

http://i.imgur.com/UnY3jRTm.png
View Quote
these are the ones I use

here
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:59:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a pair of turtle beach x42. They were cheap and they are wireless. They work good and are compatible with pc but I have to have a Xbox controller plugged in to the pc and a wire plugged into that and the headphones to use the Mic. Had them for a few years and they still work great.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:03:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a HyperX Cloud headset.  Its well constructed (aluminum frame, velour and regular ear cups, detachable mic) but I get a lot of popping and static.  Not sure if its the headphones or the adapter they are plugged into causing it.  I think I paid around $75.00 shipped on Amazon.
View Quote
I have one of these too, I was impressed with the build quality too for the price. I get some weird issues using them on PS4, popping and static like you describe. They work fine on my PC though, I think the controller just doesn't supply enough power to drive them. Sound quality is pretty good but I wouldn't use them for music.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:34:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a few sets.  I like my Hyper X Cloud 2 the best.  They are good for everything, and if you fall asleep while wearing them

they won't be broken when you wake up.

They are on sale for $59.99 at Amazon.

I paid 99 bucks
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:40:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I ended up going to cheap way.  I just plugged in my xbox one controller and used the xbox headset.  (For chatting, game sounds still comes through the speakers.)
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Seems like the best is really $$$$ but i dont play enough to justify the price, for a moderate user the cheaper ones would be gtg.  

Seems like the hyperX is the way i may go.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 4:36:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I got two, PX22's which are wired and the Stealth 400 which is wireless. The 400 better imo and has some good range, I can go from my ps4 outside and down the driveway before I hear any distortion
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I have the Turtle Beach Stealth 500P for the PS4. They've outlasted any headset I've owned, including any headset I've owned for PC.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I've had a great experience with the TB Stealth 420X's

Turtle beach 420x
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 2:13:28 PM EDT
[#30]
I would highly recommend against the Astro A50's, at least for Xbone.

I've had nothing but issues with mine.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought the expensive $300 Turtle Beach ones and then realized that it only worked for Xbox One
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 12:24:47 AM EDT
[#32]
I've been considering getting some $200 audiophile headphones. 

AKG K7XX

I'd need a separate mic though. I've been using a Planrtronics over the ear headset with velour pads for a while and they've been pretty good. Can't remember the model. My brother got a pair and has been pretty happy with them too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top