BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 2:30:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Watch the video in the post they play Battlefield 4 and Arma 3 in the video on ultra settings, but that is with the hardware overclocked. There is no reason you couldn't play on medium settings though with little to no overclock. You should come on the ar15.com gaming teamspeak the IP is Valhalla.sx we build PC's for people everyday on there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xfFTxr  Total Price: 366 dollars

https://youtu.be/JxUPJdcChzE

This PC will play modern games on par with the new generations consoles as the video I have posted demonstrates. You will have to build it yourself which is actually a FUN thing to do if you aren't a whiney cry baby. On top of that you will learn a valuable life skill and will no longer be considered a dirty console peasant.

DISCLAIMER: Keep in mind you actually have to read shit when you run a PC and make smart adult decisions.

You are welcome.

edit: There will be those that come in this thread and tell you that this PC won't play modern games on high settings, they are wrong. They are angry because they spent too much on their PC and their opinions aren't valid.

I actually need/want to build my own gaming computer after geek
squad fried my laptop when they repaired the network adapter.
This does look like a good base to start.
Do you have any other games you have tested this system on?
How well do you think this computer would run a game like
Battlefield 4 or ARMA 2?

Watch the video in the post they play Battlefield 4 and Arma 3 in the video on ultra settings, but that is with the hardware overclocked. There is no reason you couldn't play on medium settings though with little to no overclock. You should come on the ar15.com gaming teamspeak the IP is Valhalla.sx we build PC's for people everyday on there.

I just watch the video after I read your comment. I didnt know it was a video
at first. I thought it was just a still frame to show how good it worked.

I am having a brain fart righr now because I cant remember what tesm speak
is. If it is something that you have to do on the computer I cant because I dont
have a computer at all right now. I am doing this all from a tablet.

Since you seem really knowable about computers do you know of a place that
has tutorials on overclocking, PC building,  and game modding?
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 2:32:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is an option for those who want to get into PC gaming but don't want to spend the big bucks - or might want to later after they try it.  Sure I love a super duper over clocked PC with dual graphics cards, etc etc.  I have built plenty of PCs over the last 20 years.  It is enjoyable when I have a company credit card and a large budget, but less fun when it is coming out of my pocket.

However, my latest PC is an Alienware Alpha (early version of a Steam Box) - after reading about it on this board.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_119/1732756_Alienware_Alpha___PC_Console.html

Someone linked to a $100 off coupon so I think I ended paying  $399  after the 100 off, IIRC.   I got the base model, and right away I put in another 4gig of RAM for a total of 8.  I would like an SSD but frankly, I don't think I need it.  Load times are somewhat longer than with an SSD I'm assuming, but I don't mind.  I'll get around that that later.

The Alpha has a built in graphics card that is excellent.  Everything is defaulting to High or Ultra High now, where on my older PC, I've been used to playing everything at Low, just to get it to run.  It really seems that the PC was built around the graphics card, and not the processor.  Options are for an i3 to an i7, but my i3 works just fine.  I don't use the PC for much else as I have another that all my programs are loaded on.  It comes with an xbox controller that works great for games that have controller support.  Check the above thread for details and testing.

I have almost all the latest games, except the last Call of Duty and the last 2 Assassins Creed, as I didn't want to finish either of the series.  Have had no problem running high graphics.

I'm betting this may be a trend - if it doesn't catch on now, it will later on.   Steambox PCs are getting ready to be released with lots of different options - this was one of the lower cost ones.  

Check it out if you want to do PC gaming with a lower cost but still excellent box.  

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 9:24:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Here is an option for those who want to get into PC gaming but don't want to spend the big bucks - or might want to later after they try it.  Sure I love a super duper over clocked PC with dual graphics cards, etc etc.  I have built plenty of PCs over the last 20 years.  It is enjoyable when I have a company credit card and a large budget, but less fun when it is coming out of my pocket.

However, my latest PC is an Alienware Alpha (early version of a Steam Box) - after reading about it on this board.  

Someone linked to a $100 off coupon so I think I ended paying  $399  after the 100 off, IIRC.   I got the base model, and right away I put in another 4gig of RAM for a total of 8.  I would like an SSD but frankly, I don't think I need it.  Load times are somewhat longer than with an SSD I'm assuming, but I don't mind.  I'll get around that that later.

The Alpha has a built in graphics card that is excellent.  Everything is defaulting to High or Ultra High now, where on my older PC, I've been used to playing everything at Low, just to get it to run.  It really seems that the PC was built around the graphics card, and not the processor.  Options are for an i3 to an i7, but my i3 works just fine.  I don't use the PC for much else as I have another that all my programs are loaded on.  It comes with an xbox controller that works great for games that have controller support.  Check the above thread for details and testing.

I have almost all the latest games, except the last Call of Duty and the last 2 Assassins Creed, as I didn't want to finish either of the series.  Have had no problem running high graphics.

I'm betting this may be a trend - if it doesn't catch on now, it will later on.   Steambox PCs are getting ready to be released with lots of different options - this was one of the lower cost ones.  

Check it out if you want to do PC gaming with a lower cost but still excellent box.  

View Quote

Thanks for the heads up. That does look like a good machine to start with.

Could anyone recommend a good gaming keyboard and mouse combo
that isnt to much?
Also what would be a good monitor that also isn't to much money? Or
should I just use my TV, because I have a small 22 inch widescreen
Vizio flatscreen that I use for my PS3 and PS2 that I could use.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 9:55:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

that isnt to much?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that isnt to much?

For me personally, I prefer mechanical keys, so that means something like das keyboard, razer, etc.  Razer makes good gaming mice, but you can game just fine with a 30 dollar Logitech also, just depends on how precise you want it to be.

Monitors?  You'll be amazed at how much you're not seeing once you put your game up on a 2560x1440 screen vice your 720p tv, but to each their own.  I prefer my 27" 2560x1440 -- lots more detail and better picture.

It all boils down to your personal preferences.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 2:05:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I would be hesitant of those steam boxes. If you actually price out the parts inside of it they only cost about 380.00 bucks to build it yourself or you can pay steam the 450.00 for the pretty package, your getting the same thing at a different price. You're pretty much paying 70 bucks for them to take care of the assembly for you.

As far as keyboards go I would recommend this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823334012

I have one of those 150 dollar razor mechanical keyboards with all the bells and whistles and I honestly cant tell the different between it and the Gigabyte K3.

and here's the best mouse on the market

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153168&cm_re=razor_deathadder-_-26-153-168-_-Product
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#6]
For someone getting into the PC gaming scene that is a very viable option.

Hell my first "gaming PC" was a Black Friday Dell with an ATI video card crammed in it and an extra stick of ram.

PC gaming is just like anything else, some folks are fine with middle of the road performance and value longevity of components and minimal headache... while some folks want the best of everything and will tweak and fiddle with everything until the benefits are nearly unnoticeable.
One final thing. It's fucking amazing how many people have NO CLUE how to do anything hardware related to a PC. Some are terrified to even open it.

Hell I've built so many I started putting it on my resume and it's always been a helpful addition.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 2:59:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Hell my first "gaming PC" was a Black Friday Dell with an ATI video card crammed in it and an extra stick of ram.

PC gaming is just like anything else, some folks are fine with middle of the road performance and value longevity of components and minimal headache... while some folks want the best of everything and will tweak and fiddle with everything until the benefits are nearly unnoticeable.

One final thing. It's fucking amazing how many people have NO CLUE how to do anything hardware related to a PC. Some are terrified to even open it.

Hell I've built so many I started putting it on my resume and it's always been a helpful addition.
View Quote

I'm getting better though, I bought a 1TB internal hard drive that I'm going to try and add to my current computer.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 3:09:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm getting better though, I bought a 1TB internal hard drive that I'm going to try and add to my current computer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless you're a fucking idiot you'll be fine.  Just watch a youtube video on it to get your bearings and go to town.

Aside from the massive clusterfuck that is wiring putting a PC together is so much easier than people thing.  Just double check with people that know more than you on the matter that all your parts are compatible and go to town.  It's no different than changing out cartridges on an old Nintendo 64.

edit: sure there are some concerns over static shock and whatnot but I've done four computers with no precautions without incident.  Might want to look into it though just to be on the safe side.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would be hesitant of those steam boxes. If you actually price out the parts inside of it they only cost about 380.00 bucks to build it yourself or you can pay steam the 450.00 for the pretty package, your getting the same thing at a different price. You're pretty much paying 70 bucks for them to take care of the assembly for you.

I have one of those 150 dollar razor mechanical keyboards with all the bells and whistles and I honestly cant tell the different between it and the Gigabyte K3.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153168&cm_re=razor_deathadder-_-26-153-168-_-Product
View Quote

Yep, correct as to price.  I priced systems before I bought.  I could have put together the system for probably a little cheaper.  Honestly, I would have had to have worked pretty hard to come in cheaper.  

As far as keyboard and mouse - just go get some cheap logitech combo for now.  When you get more used to gaming on a PC, go spend some more money - mechanical keyboards are nice, but not everyone likes them.  Right now I'm using a Logitech G105 which has some programmable keys.  I think I paid 40, but the best feature for me is that the keyboard is lighted.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
I love my Logitech G502 mouse way more than that despicable mouse

Link Posted: 6/5/2015 10:12:00 PM EDT
[#11]
, curious what exactly is "despicable" about the Deathadder?

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/5/2015 11:18:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Its won wayy too many awards, and too many people have voted it hands down best gaming mouse. It's the Glock of mice so naturally people rebel against it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 7:09:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep, correct as to price.  I priced systems before I bought.  I could have put together the system for probably a little cheaper.  Honestly, I would have had to have worked pretty hard to come in cheaper.  

As far as keyboard and mouse - just go get some cheap logitech combo for now.  When you get more used to gaming on a PC, go spend some more money - mechanical keyboards are nice, but not everyone likes them.  Right now I'm using a Logitech G105 which has some programmable keys.  I think I paid 40, but the best feature for me is that the keyboard is lighted.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does regular steam still open in desktop mode?
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

why would it do anything else?  Yes, steam works just fine in desktop mode.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wanted to know if you still have your Alpha and how you like it? Have any problems a rinsed? Because I have a friend who wants to buy one. Is that coupon still active?
Can you even buy one still? Because I know the official Alpha steam box is coming out in November along with all of the other steam boxes.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:18:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I made a account at pcpartpicker and I come up with several builds. How does this build stack up? which one would you pick if it was you?
are there any part you think I should change out? My main concern is the wireless adapter, is it a good one?

These build are ordered in descending graphical power:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/MDStroup/saved/vPnqqs

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/MDStroup/saved/QzvFf7

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/MDStroup/saved/2FPD4D

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/MDStroup/saved/XXb6Mp

This one was just to see how stupid I could get :

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/MDStroup/saved/W2VXsY

I have no idea why, but the links don't work. But if you copy and paste them it works.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I made a account at pcpartpicker and I come up with several builds. How does this build stack up? which one would you pick if it was you?
are there any part you think I should change out? My main concern is the wireless adapter, is it a good one?

I have no idea why, but the links don't work. But if you copy and paste them it works.
View Quote

List 1:
If you're not going to overclock, then no need for the 4790K, you could just go with a 4790 and get the same results (the K indicates an unlocked CPU)
If you're not going to overclock, then you can do away with the liquid cooling and go with something a bit more conventional.

List 2:
Double that RAM
I'd also add a small (128G) SSD to the mix for OS and what not

List 3:
Again, if no overclocking is going to be done, then drop the K from that i5 and pick-up it's stock brother
Double the RAM if you don't want to bottleneck everything
Small SSD
GTX 980 is going to be somewhat bottlenecked by the CPU, maybe step down a 960 or so and make some sacrifices?

List 4:
Overall not bad, but just to give you a comparison for the m-ATX/m-ITX scene, this is a build I just parted out for a streamer for mobile streaming purposes. NOTE: This does is strictly parts and doesn't include a OS or external hardware. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Q6PRXL
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:39:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Its won wayy too many awards, and too many people have voted it hands down best gaming mouse. It's the Glock of mice so naturally people rebel against it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

nope take a look at mionix mice. a hell of a lot better then razer and logitech  stuff

also

Ducky Keyboards FTMFW
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

List 1:
If you're not going to overclock, then no need for the 4790K, you could just go with a 4790 and get the same results (the K indicates an unlocked CPU)
If you're not going to overclock, then you can do away with the liquid cooling and go with something a bit more conventional.

List 2:
Double that RAM

List 3:
Again, if no overclocking is going to be done, then drop the K from that i5 and pick-up it's stock brother
Small SSD
GTX 980 is going to be somewhat bottlenecked by the CPU, maybe step down a 960 or so and make some sacrifices?

List 4:
Overall not bad, but just to give you a comparison for the m-ATX/m-ITX scene, this is a build I just parted out for a streamer for mobile streaming purposes. NOTE: This does is strictly parts and doesn't include a OS or external hardware. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Q6PRXL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

List 1:

List 2:
Double that RAM

List 3:
Small SSD

List 4:

Thank you for your help. I modified the memory on the lists.

I actually want to try to over clock , that is why I picked the liquid cooling because I was told it is the
way to go when you want to over clock a gaming rig. Is that a good liquid cooler?

Also how is the Motherboard in the first list compared to a ASUS Z97-a motherboard? They are the same price
I just put the MSI because at the time I made the list there was a discount on that motherboard when boughten
with the I7-4790k.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
"have been" implies that I'm still doing it, as I've been doing for three decades, give or take, not that I did it years ago and forgot about it.
View Quote

Because my ability to solder in a zilog 80 instead of a 8086/8 means a shitload in today's world.
<lighten up, francis.jpg>
So I HAVE been out of circulation for a long time. I still run some *NIX boxes for old clients and have fun with the homelab.... but when it comes to gaming machines I am meh. Currently running a M5A97 R2.0, FX 6350, 16gB of 8CAS, GTX 760 main with GTX 560 on physix duty. The 2 year old AAA titles which are now in my acceptable price range are starting to lag and I refuse to make quality for FPS sacrifices.
I have a history of going cheap on cpu branding (Cyrex, AMD, etc.) and have just recently wrapped my head around the idea of the Honda vs Lexus (AMD vs Intel). Both will get you there, but one has cruise/auto/tinting/leather.

Expect a build thread when it comes time to upgrade, as I have finally decayed enough to be CI and realize I need help with builds.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top