Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:33:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link bad but what made you believe your first amendment rights were valid, Comrade??
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:26:50 AM EDT
[#3]

"Moreover, the majority says, it’s reasonable for the government to exclude such messages, because of the risk that they might lead to “road rage” attacks against drivers by other drivers who are angered by the license plate."

In a related announcement, NY will begin requiring all women to wear burkahs when outside the home because of the risk that more revealing clothing might lead to sexual assaults.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:39:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Abortion is a controversial topic.  Doesn't belong on state mandated plates.
I agree with the ruling, though not the reasoning behind it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:55:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

So is the military. There are a ton of people who hate the government and their "military industrial complex" yet those plates are allowed. So are professional sports teams which I guarantee will garner up more animosity then "Choose Life."

This is what happens when people get to pick and choose what is controvers al, because anyone can be offended by anything. It's a terrible double standard. Either you have a single plate or let people have whatever they want.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So is the military. There are a ton of people who hate the government and their "military industrial complex" yet those plates are allowed. So are professional sports teams which I guarantee will garner up more animosity then "Choose Life."

This is what happens when people get to pick and choose what is controvers al, because anyone can be offended by anything. It's a terrible double standard. Either you have a single plate or let people have whatever they want.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, all or nothing.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#7]
States should not be in the business of issuing license plates with your political beliefs or hobbies in any form. You get a license plate issued and it's the same color, shape, and numerical/alphabetical pattern as everyone elses. This includes veteran and purple heart plates, too.

They have bumper stickers you can put on your car for anything you can dream of.

And yes, all or nothing, like the poster above me said.

If they are singling out wolfs and abortion, or specifically pro-life, and allowing other vanity plates, then I would say that is infringement.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:05:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree with everyone here and believe the problem is so bad with the judicial system that our way of freedom is being extinguished with each ruling made for whatever from the bench. The State of New York is leading the way with going all out  full retard.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
"Moreover, the majority says, it’s reasonable for the government to exclude such messages, because of the risk that they might lead to “road rage” attacks against drivers by other drivers who are angered by the license plate."
View Quote

True story.  Not too long after 9/11 I was coming up the palisades parkway and ended up behind a white sedan with a NY vanity plate "ALAHAKBR"

I lost my shit.  I had instant road rage and almost ran the fucker off the road.  If he would have pulled over I would have whipped his ass and ended up in jail.

Instead, I calmly wrote a letter to the DMV explaining how offended I was by it.  Some honcho from there called me up a couple days later and gave me the canned response about how it translates to "God is Great," and how it's his right to have that plate.  I told him how upset I was and how many other people who lost loved ones that day would also be offended.  He didn't care and brushed it off.

I guess next time I'll follow the motherfucker until he stops and then knock him the fuck out instead.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:57:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

True story.  Not too long after 9/11 I was coming up the palisades parkway and ended up behind a white sedan with a NY vanity plate "ALAHAKBR"

I lost my shit.  I had instant road rage and almost ran the fucker off the road.  If he would have pulled over I would have whipped his ass and ended up in jail.

Instead, I calmly wrote a letter to the DMV explaining how offended I was by it.  Some honcho from there called me up a couple days later and gave me the canned response about how it translates to "God is Great," and how it's his right to have that plate.  I told him how upset I was and how many other people who lost loved ones that day would also be offended.  He didn't care and brushed it off.

I guess next time I'll follow the motherfucker until he stops and then knock him the fuck out instead.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone would likely have a totally similar response if you're license plate said NRA4EVER
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I though being American meant that you could debate and disagree

Oh, forgot, it's only valid if your a liberal demo-crack-head

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:27:42 AM EDT
[#12]
not sure why the government is in the buisness of offering political speach on plates

should just be some Numbers no special numbers or random shit on it just a basic plate

you want people behind you to know how you feel or something about you.  get a bumper sticker.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
not sure why the government is in the buisness of offering political speach on plates

should just be some Numbers no special numbers or random shit on it just a basic plate

you want people behind you to know how you feel or something about you.  get a bumper sticker.
View Quote

Because vanity plates bring in huge bucks and their use expands the number of available combinations before the state has to retire that plate style and introduce a new one.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that's what I call freedom of expression... lol...
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Because vanity plates bring in huge bucks and their use expands the number of available combinations before the state has to retire that plate style and introduce a new one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The state should not be in the process of generating revenue.   Private enterprise does that.   If the state wants to make money they should privatize administration of license plates and collect tax.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top