Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 6/13/2017 7:31:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:08:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Good on you for being prepared and willing to help. And the fact that you're reflecting on how to better prepare and respond is every bit as important. Serious kudos, we could use more people like this in this world.

I had a somewhat similar situation just a couple weeks ago. Waiting in line with the wife and kids at a food truck on a hot day when I feel someone fall into the back of my leg, turns out a 14 y/o girl waiting in line behind us passed out. She'd just finished riding her bike a few miles, dehydrated, overheated, the works. Got her stood up and started walking her into a nearby Casey's to get some A/C and cool her down when she passed out again. At that point I had to scoop her up and run her into the store a few hundred yards away.

Blew my mind how many people just stand there in shock doing nothing. I distinctly remember some old hag repeatedly saying that someone should call 911. As I was carrying this girl I yelled at her "Stop talking about it and you call 911 right now!" Someone, not sure if it was the old lady or not, ultimately called 911 and eventually the volunteer fire department and medics showed up and did their thing.

The girl ended up being fine after getting some fluids and cooled down. Ultimately is wasn't a huge deal, fortunately, but what it was was a good reminder of how unreliable people can be and that we need to be prepared to go at it alone at all times.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:46:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good on you for being prepared and willing to help. And the fact that you're reflecting on how to better prepare and respond is every bit as important. Serious kudos, we could use more people like this in this world.

I had a somewhat similar situation just a couple weeks ago. Waiting in line with the wife and kids at a food truck on a hot day when I feel someone fall into the back of my leg, turns out a 14 y/o girl waiting in line behind us passed out. She'd just finished riding her bike a few miles, dehydrated, overheated, the works. Got her stood up and started walking her into a nearby Casey's to get some A/C and cool her down when she passed out again. At that point I had to scoop her up and run her into the store a few hundred yards away.

Blew my mind how many people just stand there in shock doing nothing. I distinctly remember some old hag repeatedly saying that someone should call 911. As I was carrying this girl I yelled at her "Stop talking about it and you call 911 right now!" Someone, not sure if it was the old lady or not, ultimately called 911 and eventually the volunteer fire department and medics showed up and did their thing.

The girl ended up being fine after getting some fluids and cooled down. Ultimately is wasn't a huge deal, fortunately, but what it was was a good reminder of how unreliable people can be and that we need to be prepared to go at it alone at all times.
View Quote
Yep some of us are sheep dogs but unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, the rest are sheep.  Awesome
What you did to help her. You should be commended.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top