Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2017 8:36:17 AM EDT
So last night I was playing with my two sons in one of their rooms that overlook the street.  I just happened to glance out the window and see an elderly lady walking a Great Dane. She had a cane and the dog weighed more than she did by far.  Here comes another dog down the street with another owner.  They meet Great Dane takes off pulling her down, her head hits the sidewalk and out comes that dark red blood that is not a good sign.  I yell at my wife, who is a nurse, to get outside.  Grab my go bag which has a full med kit in it and I go out to assist. Glove up and assist her and call 911 in the process.  Came to the sudden realization that I need more gauze in my kit.  Came back in and reassessed the situation and what if it was my kid out there and what I would need.  Re packed my bag with more items and reconfigured it.  
Tl;dr. Lady hits head and I realize that I am not prepared as I should have been. Life changes pretty fast
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't leave us hanging.  Was she alright?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#2]
My wife almost passed out choking on a piece of rice that went down the wrong pipe the other day.
Coughing her head off, signalling me to whack her on the back, unable to talk or breathe enough to catch her breath.
I felt helpless. It went on forever, it seemed. I was pounding on her, and debating on when I should call 911, now, or after she passes out.

It was bad. Took her two days to get over it.
She thought she was going to pass out and die.
so did I.

A grain of rice at lunch.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:58:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't leave us hanging.  Was she alright?
View Quote
As far as we know.  Paramedics took her.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:21:48 AM EDT
[#4]
You were more prepared than 99% of people.  Good on you and your wife that you helped.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:34:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So last night I was playing with my two sons in one of their rooms that overlook the street.  I just happened to glance out the window and see an elderly lady walking a Great Dane. She had a cane and the dog weighed more than she did by far.  Here comes another dog down the street with another owner.  They meet Great Dane takes off pulling her down, her head hits the sidewalk and out comes that dark red blood that is not a good sign.  I yell at my wife, who is a nurse, to get outside.  Grab my go bag which has a full med kit in it and I go out to assist. Glove up and assist her and call 911 in the process.  Came to the sudden realization that I need more gauze in my kit.  Came back in and reassessed the situation and what if it was my kid out there and what I would need.  Re packed my bag with more items and reconfigured it.  
Tl;dr. Lady hits head and I realize that I am not prepared as I should have been. Life changes pretty fast
View Quote

LOL most other people would have sharted their undies and started yelling for someone else to call 911.  You were more prepared than the vast majority of people, and you did good with what you had!  Make adjustments as needed, but you still did good.

-K
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:57:13 AM EDT
[#6]
That was very good of you and your wife to administer aid.

We (AR15.com) should award people like you.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:32:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My wife almost passed out choking on a piece of rice that went down the wrong pipe the other day.
Coughing her head off, signalling me to whack her on the back, unable to talk or breathe enough to catch her breath.
I felt helpless. It went on forever, it seemed. I was pounding on her, and debating on when I should call 911, now, or after she passes out.

It was bad. Took her two days to get over it.
She thought she was going to pass out and die.
so did I.

A grain of rice at lunch.
View Quote
Scary,  and you did it wrong.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Had similar situation many years ago when a neighbor but his hand and started bleeding profusely.  I ran out of gauze real quick and ended up using a towel.  Since then I've added couple of infant size diapers to the kit.  I don't know how well it will work as I've not had that kind of situation again.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#9]
In college I knew a nursing student who saved a guy's life after a bad car crash.  She was on her way back from the laundromat and used her just washed and dried socks.

I would rather have someone like that at my rescue than someone with a huge bag of stuff.

It is not always tools, it is also mindset.

You won't die of an infection if you bleed out first.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In college I knew a nursing student who saved a guy's life after a bad car crash.  She was on her way back from the laundromat and used her just washed and dried socks.

I would rather have someone like that at my rescue than someone with a huge bag of stuff.

It is not always tools, it is also mindset.

You won't die of an infection if you bleed out first.
View Quote

This OP,you need more socks in your bag....
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Had similar situation many years ago when a neighbor but his hand and started bleeding profusely.  I ran out of gauze real quick and ended up using a towel.  Since then I've added couple of infant size diapers to the kit.  I don't know how well it will work as I've not had that kind of situation again.
View Quote
You don't want absorption in that situation.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:24:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Interesting thread and this is a good point.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:31:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Did cops shoot dag?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:34:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Good for you sir!

My bag stays near me wherever i go. I keep a lot of gauze, Israeli bandages, celox etc in it for these situations. We all are far more likely to need first aid gear than guns.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:38:13 PM EDT
[#15]
A "full" med kit, then says it was lacking.

Seems OP knows just enough to hurt somebody.

So, by full med kit  you didn't mean a MICU, but a first aid kit.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, Danes can do that. Ours pulled my wife down on the pavers leading to the driveway a few years back. Thankfully she wasn't really hurt, just mad. 
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why not tell him how to do right so next time he will know?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#18]
In before the 'I wouldn't have taken the chance that she'd sue me' faction. 

Good on ya, OP. 
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:29:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A "full" med kit, then says it was lacking.

Seems OP knows just enough to hurt somebody.

So, by full med kit  you didn't mean a MICU, but a first aid kit.
View Quote
No it's a full kit and I had gauze.  Just not enough of it as per my statement in my original post.  Try reading it next time and then post
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Good on you, OP.  I found out mine was lacking as well, but it was because I was first on scene of a two car wreck with 4 ejected.  It was indeed a learning experience.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice job, OP.       The shit hit the fan and u responded.    That's moar than what a lot of folk would do.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
The objective is to keep the fluids where they belong, so if a bandage is not working go to more bandages. If that does not work go to direct pressure. If that does not work - tourniquet, but only if you know what you are doing.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Current protocols call for this, then Heimlich.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:14:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kind of.  What makes blood clot, and where is it located?  

Point being, we don't use saran wrap or petroleum gauze to stop bleeding for a reason.  
Top Top