Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 6/8/2015 10:10:37 AM EDT
Jeep came up with a good idea, and rather than hijack that thread, I am starting a new one.

Who is interested in participating in the MOA challenge?  How about having a HTF shoot where the focus is the MOA challenge?  

My range is good to go for 50 and 100 yards.  Other than mowing and putting up new cardboard, very little prep work would be needed.

I will put up some links ASAP to the challenge... On an I potato now.

Eta .... I can make this hot when I get to a real computer.

MOA challenge

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_16_17/51___ARFCOM_1_MOA_ALL_DAY_LONG__Challenge_.html

Cliff's notes for Rules not covered in the above threads...

15 minute time limit per round.

1st round you must shoot your own gear

no camping on the line

You can shoot multiple classes  (17HMR can be shot on the 50 yard line)

25, 50 and 100 yard ranges will be open and in use.

No target practice, random shooting, or launching of appliances during the shoot.  

Safety is the top priority - all participants are range officers.  

If you are cooking food for everyone, you can cut the shooting line at any time.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#1]
link made hot from my android

I am so in!

To make it truly a GaHTF unique event maybe we should make the target bottle caps!

link to BFL MOA all day long target
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm in.   Name the time and place!
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 11:00:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm in.   Name the time and place!
View Quote

It will be held at my range located between Union Point and Crawfordville.

I am looking at my calendar now.  I will add a poll with some options tonight.  June 20th (Father's Day weekend and not much time to get ready) or any weekend in August or a couple weekends in September could work.  It's gonna be hot!
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 11:28:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Even though the 20th is my birthday and I can't think of a better way to spend it..... But I'll be driving to our family reunion that day.

I might have another old squirrel cage fan from an HVAC I can add to the firing line. Maybe that'll help. Get one for the mister heads for a garden hose to put in front of it is pretty effective!
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 11:53:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I will do my best to be at this event and am definitely interested.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 12:06:38 PM EDT
[#6]
My eyesight is terrible, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. I'm in.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Let's do it .   I'm in .    Even though I can't shoot worth a darn.

gd
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#8]
If it ends up being in August I could make it.  Sounds like fun.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I was just reminded that my mother-in-law will be here in June.   So June is out.  

She's a lib, so I may be able to talk her into holding a target
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Now some planning questions.

Precision rifle shooters.... please chime in!  I've never shot in a rifle precision competition before, so I am not sure on some of this.

In order to make an educated guess as to how many people I can allow out there, I have some basic questions.

How much time should I estimate for completing a round of this?  Each paper has 5 targets and each target gets 5 shots.  So 25 shots per gun.  How close to the next guy would you be comfortable with when you are prone and shooting for accuracy?  

I'm thinking at most 2 prone, one on the bench, and two could shoot at the 50 yard line in each relay.  The least would be 1,1,and 1.  So 3-5 people each relay.   With 2 people prone, there would be about 5 feet between the shooters.  

Just crunching some random numbers now.... If you get 15 minutes to shoot a round, and we can change the targets out in 5 minutes, then we could do a relay every 20 minutes - we could get 9-15 guns per hour done.  Figure a 6 hour day and that takes it to 54-90 guns could be shot.  I know many people would want to shoot multiple guns, but it sounds like a lot of people could come out and shoot the MOA challenge in a day.  I'm just guessing at numbers here, so please help me out.  Some people could probably get 2+ guns done in 15 minutes.  The backstop at 100 yards could hold a lot of targets.  I don't know if there is that much demand at the 50 yard line.  The limiting factor may be the 100 yard line.  We could also get closer to 10 hours of shooting time during the summer if needed.

This assumes you are ready to go when you show up.  I'm thinking many people are going to want a spare target to get dialed in on.  That could add a lot of time to each round, or I may be able to send people off to another area for sighting in (prone only - no bench).
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#11]
If the target area allows, hang more than one target at a time. Each target has 5 zones hang four targets.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Since no one is shooting at the 250 you could just put them in the middle as well. The bullets will still impact the berm at 250.

At an Apple seed shoot I went to we were elbow to elbow. Really sucked for the people beside THAT guy with the break and the semi.  To deflect brass what about some card board dividers?
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If the target area allows, hang more than one target at a time. Each target has 5 zones hang four targets.
View Quote

Yes.  We will do this.

The 100 yard backstop is big.  Probably 10 feet wide and 6 feet tall.  I could get ~40 targets at a time there.  I'm more concerned about the shooting end of it, than the target end.  In fact... I could get so many targets up, that we could confuse the shooters.  Gotta keep the targets in order!
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm in. I got my optic mounted yesterday (thanks DaveS) and I hope to be finding a load it likes very shortly.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 4:39:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Since no one is shooting at the 250 you could just put them in the middle as well. The bullets will still impact the berm at 250.

At an Apple seed shoot I went to we were elbow to elbow. Really sucked for the people beside THAT guy with the break and the semi.  To deflect brass what about some card board dividers?
View Quote

We could do that as well.  I think there is plenty of room for targets at 100 and the new 50.

I don't want people to be elbow to elbow.  I would want a few feet as a minimum.  I don't want to someone's group to get messed up by someone next to them.  I have some plywood out there and I was thinking of building  a divider between the prone positions so no brass is thrown at the other shooter.  Cardboard would be much easier.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Will there be different categories?  Factory ammo vs hand loaded. Etc.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hmmm.... a competition during the challenge?  I hadn't thought about that, but now that you mention it....

Originally I was just planning on making my range available to the HTF so people could enter the MOA challenge, which has had some more interest since Mark LaRue gave everyone in the SPR division a free trigger.  This shoot would be for accuracy.  Leave the happy switches at home, or at least in the car until everyone is done with precision work.  

Hmmm... competitions usually require a prize.  Much to think about and I have to run right now... kids... lol

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 6:45:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm definitely interested. I'd like to know how bad I really shoot.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm in if the weekend works out!
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Heck. Count me in. I'm not above embarrassing myself in front of a group!
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a few brass catchers that take ten seconds to go from weapon to weapon, cost like $10 I wanna say. They work very well and don't really get in the way. If it's a bolt gun shouldn't have to worry anyway.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Interested. Depends on when.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I may be in depending on the date.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#24]
poll added for the first ever MOA challenge shoot... I won't say 1st annual.... let's see how this one goes first

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I think you should give a time limit per round. Stress shows a shooter how good they really are.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Anybody have an LT-104 with one inches rings they want to get rid of or don't have a scope mounted in it that I can barrow?
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm interested depending on date
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 9:48:18 PM EDT
[#28]
August 1st is out.  please disregard on the poll.  Forgot that I am on call that weekend.   whoops!
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 9:49:22 PM EDT
[#29]
The 15th is the BBQ Bourbon festival, may be a tough decision for some.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote
I'm with him, got tickets for it already. Any other date is good

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know.  Sounds like a good time!
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:39:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Here's a link to the MOA all day challenge target

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I think you should give a time limit per round. Stress shows a shooter how good they really are.
View Quote

That defeats the entire purpose of the challenge.  Take time make 25 good shots and you are going to need a min or two between firings generally for the most accurate shots or you are just gonna heat up your barrel and get stringing by number 20.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 11:08:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That defeats the entire purpose of the challenge.  Take time make 25 good shots and you are going to need a min or two between firings generally for the most accurate shots or you are just gonna heat up your barrel and get stringing by number 20.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.  I was hoping you would get in here.

OK... That helps a lot.  So instead of a time limit, maybe it would be better to put out a lot of numbered targets, let the shooter take his time, and when done, let a new shooter drop in.  When the targets are used up (or close to it), go cold, and replace the targets.  Do all the measuring behind the line and keep the line hot as much as possible.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 11:26:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

OK... That helps a lot.  So instead of a time limit, maybe it would be better to put out a lot of numbered targets, let the shooter take his time, and when done, let a new shooter drop in.  When the targets are used up (or close to it), go cold, and replace the targets.  Do all the measuring behind the line and keep the line hot as much as possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like to come and learn from some way better shooters than myself. Right now I honestly don't trust myself not to send a flyer into someone else's target . I can count the number of times I've shot "long range" on one hand.( >100 yards)
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 2:52:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I would like to come and learn from some way better shooters than myself. Right now I honestly don't trust myself not to send a flyer into someone else's target . I can count the number of times I've shot "long range" on one hand.( >100 yards)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the times work out I'll try to come out for it.  The basics for prone shooting are pretty easy and quick to pick up anyone can do it...I'm living proof of that :)
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 2:55:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya.  If possible put like 4-6 out at a time.  Give a shooter like 5-10 mins max.  Generally a string of 5 shots shouldn't take more than a min, then give the rifle like a min to cool a little then next string and so on.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:01:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:30:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Naw, 10 minutes should be plenty.  Heck, make it 15, an extra 5 minutes added for slow pokes.

ETA - Pretty sure I shot my 1 MOA entry in about a minute.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Naw, 10 minutes should be plenty.  Heck, make it 15, an extra 5 minutes added for slow pokes.

I was thinking more like 5 minutes total time. I don't think it would take me very long either.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:00:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I was thinking more like 5 minutes total time. I don't think it would take me very long either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know.  Thanks for your input.  That would keep things moving along nicely.

I'd be worried if I shot a nice group and my target was still up when someone else jumped in my lane.  1 flyer on the wrong target and you would have to count it in your group... Most likely re shooting your target.

Exciting things are happening with this event.  

Hit the poll so I can get a date locked in.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:04:27 AM EDT
[#41]
I'd like to thank LaRue Tactical for volunteering to be a sponsor for this MOA challenge shoot.  

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:24:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'd like to thank LaRue Tactical for volunteering to be a sponsor for this MOA challenge shoot.  

View Quote

Wahoo!

Btw My co-worker who I talked into buying the predatobr wants to come out. We will have larue products well represented. That rifle is awesome.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:37:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

25rds/min and MOA or less?

You must have been shooting downhill.

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 11:09:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Mike_P answered that age-old question "Does size matter?"

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_16_17/51___ARFCOM_1_MOA_ALL_DAY_LONG__Challenge_.html&page=12

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wahoo!

Btw My co-worker who I talked into buying the predatobr wants to come out. We will have larue products well represented. That rifle is awesome.

Mike_P answered that age-old question "Does size matter?"

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_16_17/51___ARFCOM_1_MOA_ALL_DAY_LONG__Challenge_.html&page=12

Imagine how much more accurate your shots would have been if you'd take that extra time.........      :P
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not being a jerk, but why would there be a factory ammo vs hand load class? Ammo is a personal choice and at 100 yards or less the cheapest Wal-mart ammo usually prints like hand loads. One of my shooting buddies only shoots hand loads. I loaded 50 rounds on my DL-550 against his hand loads. 10 of each were fired at 300 yards and there was absolutely no difference, we even fired the hand loads first at each range. 10 of each fired at 500 yards no difference. Fired 10 of each at 600 yards and no difference. Fired the remaining 20 of each at 1000 yards in 5 shot groups, and finally there was a slight difference giving the better groups to the hand loads but still not worth all the effort in my opinion as both 4 legged and 2 legged Animals are going to be in the exact same condition if hit by either one. Now if you have to drive a nail at 1000 yards with a bullet, the hand load is the better choice.

What I am saying is there is no advantage to firing hand loads under 100 yards versus quality factory loads.

If doing multiple classes wouldn't it be more along the lines of Caliber, Iron Sights, Optic, Scope
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd have to say August 15th is looking bad.  I would hate to compete with a BBQ event.  That would be wrong, wrong, wrong.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 3:28:36 PM EDT
[#48]
I am not trying to re-invent the wheel or make a whole new competition.  This thread started from the MOA challenge thread.  I am only trying to give more people the opportunity and motivation to participate in this challenge.   As of now, we are going to mirror all the rules there, with a few minor changes.  We will have to live with time limits, and we will have a Georgia HTF flair to the targets.  You won't be able to sneak out a 'ringer' target to try and win.  

This event is for arfcom.  That's what the MOA thread is for.  When it is time to sign up, you can +1 a single person to save them a spot.  (they need to join up though)  If the shoot doesn't fill up with GA folks, I will open it to GD.  But once you hear about the prizes, you will be re-arranging your schedule to attend this.  Details to follow when the date is set.  Hit that poll!  

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From the rules

10. Any and all ammo is fine I don't care if you use Factory loads or your super secret Hand Load that Moses gave you.

Categories

Service Division (AR/AK/FAL/M1A1 etc style weapons)
Iron sights at 50 yards

Non-Magnified Optic at 50 yards

SPR Division (AR/AK/FAL/M1A etc WITH magnified optics) **See rule 5
100 yards

Bolt Division with magnified optics (any precision gun) ** See rule 5
100 yards

And for cheapness a 22lr Division

Any 22lr rifle with iron sights at 25 yards

Any 22lr rifle with non-magnified optic at 50 yards

Any 22lr rifle with magnified optic at 50 yards

Any 22lr rifle with magnified optic at 100 yards

Misc Small Bore Division
Any .17HMR/.17HM2/.17Fireball/.22WMR/.22 Hornet etc etc etc with any sighting system (Irons/nonmagnified/magnified) at 100 yards **See Rule 5

Unlimited Division
Catch-all class for anyone wishing to use a lead-sled, large sandbag set-up, or other assisting device prohibited from the other classes. 50yd minimum for non magnified optic rifles and 100 yd minimum for magnified optics of all calibers. Does not qualify you for MOA shooter list, but will be recognized as an MOA rifle owner. Further more if you have shot the same setup and are listed in a class you will not be eligible for unlimited. Let's not turn this into a full blown bench rest shoot.

If the shoot is getting full, you may as well leave the unlimited division home.  If it is not eligible for the shooter list, it shouldn't be eligible for prizes out there,. This event is about how well you can shoot.  

I will not be posting your entries into the thread... that is up to you.

Please read the first post of this thread below
full rules and categories here
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 3:42:21 PM EDT
[#49]
In depending on the date.

edit: Centerhill GA is a haul for me. I'll have to think on it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
In depending on the date.

edit: Centerhill GA is a haul for me. I'll have to think on it.
View Quote

Where is Centerhill?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top