Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 4:12:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Who will be able to answer any new questions over these forms? The DESPP?

I don't like putting my SSN on ANYTHING!

If I knew then, what I know now... No one in my family would have ever even gotten one.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 4:56:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm looking to make the DESPP suffer a million paper cuts.

I'm looking at doing my best to make this law as costly on the state as possible.  I'm already doing my best to limit the taxes I pay on the goods I need.  I refuse to give my tax dollars to the state while CCDL has a pending lawsuit against it.

Tonight, EPD does finger printing.  I'm going to fill out all my firearms forms for thumb printing.  Tomorrow I'll get them all notarized, but only send in one form.  I'm saving all rest of my firearms reg forms and all my mag forms for December.

This law has me so pissed, I'm thinking real hard about running against my state democrat rep.  I learned alot about the process this year.  I'd run against using e-cert for anything but a clear emergency.  I'll run against the gun laws.   Against taxes.  Against one party rule.

Quoted:
Quoted:
save postage, send a ton of forms in a usps envelope.

This was my thought. Put all the forms, individual AW forms and individual forms for each LCM, into one flat rate envelope, or if I have enough of them into a flat rate box, then use certified mail with return receipt.

Link Posted: 7/3/2013 5:10:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm looking at doing my best to make this law as costly on the state as possible.  I'm already doing my best to limit the taxes I pay on the goods I need.  I refuse to give my tax dollars to the state while CCDL has a pending lawsuit against it.

Tonight, EPD does finger printing.  I'm going to fill out all my firearms forms for thumb printing.  Tomorrow I'll get them all notarized, but only send in one form.  I'm saving all rest of my firearms reg forms and all my mag forms for December.

This law has me so pissed, I'm thinking real hard about running against my state democrat rep.  I learned alot about the process this year.  I'd run against using e-cert for anything but a clear emergency.  I'll run against the gun laws.   Against taxes.  Against one party rule.

Quoted:
Quoted:

This was my thought. Put all the forms, individual AW forms and individual forms for each LCM, into one flat rate envelope, or if I have enough of them into a flat rate box, then use certified mail with return receipt.

Why waste your time at the EPD with the thumbprinting.  Do it yourself.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 5:18:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Civil disobedience is going to be expensive.

I'll have to count my mags and see what the cost will be to declare one mag per form.   Stamps alone will be around 40 bucks.

One word brother... Links
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 5:19:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Why waste your time at the EPD with the thumbprinting.  Do it yourself.

That.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 5:19:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck them! DO NOT COMPLY!!

This is something each person will have to decide for themselves. Its easy to thump one's chest and say "don't comply" from behind a keyboard on the Internet. Much harder to say when your family, job, possible jail time, and loss of your firearms/accessories and 2A rights are on the line. There will be civil disobedience. There will be people who don't know about the new law who won't register.

Like it or not, one is gambling if they choose not to comply. They are gambling that they will never have the police stop them on the way to or from the range. That the police won't stalk the ranges looking for people with registered items. That their wife, girlfriend, significant other, won't rat them out in a fit of anger, jealousy, or during a divorce. That the police won't enter their home at some point for some other reason and find the unregistered items.

well said
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 5:19:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lot's of that going on in New York right now....surprised not to see it here.

Indeed.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 5:20:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Since it doesn't say what kind of paper the form needs to be printed on, I'm thinking a trip to Staples for the brightest, most obnoxiously fluorescent paper is in order.

rainbow colored paper
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 5:47:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is something each person will have to decide for themselves. Its easy to thump one's chest and say "don't comply" from behind a keyboard on the Internet. Much harder to say when your family, job, possible jail time, and loss of your firearms/accessories and 2A rights are on the line. There will be civil disobedience. There will be people who don't know about the new law who won't register.

Like it or not, one is gambling if they choose not to comply. They are gambling that they will never have the police stop them on the way to or from the range. That the police won't stalk the ranges looking for people with registered items. That their wife, girlfriend, significant other, won't rat them out in a fit of anger, jealousy, or during a divorce. That the police won't enter their home at some point for some other reason and find the unregistered items.[/quote

Since I'm not a native, can you please tell me at what point did the people of CT loose their will to fight? People out here just seem to accept the status quo.    
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 5:50:12 AM EDT
[#10]
It's interesting to see that there's space for a permit number on the magazines form, but not on the form for the rifle itself.

You'd think it would either be required on both, or at least on the AW application. Why just on the LCM declaration?

Link Posted: 7/3/2013 5:51:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's interesting to see that there's space for a permit number on the magazines form, but not on the form for the rifle itself.

You'd think it would either be required on both, or at least on the AW application. Why just on the LCM declaration?

Because this form was designed by chimps
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 5:52:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Do you need a permit to own a magazine you already lawfully possessed?
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:03:00 AM EDT
[#13]
The inclusion of the social security number, is going to keep me from registering.

I just called and spoke to a very gravely voiced gentleman at Middletown, and he says they'll only return the form without the SSN included.

I pointed out to him, that there's a request for our carry permit number on the mags form, but not on the AW form, and that was news to him. He checked a copy of the form himself and saw I was right, and said, "Well, how about that. Why would they ask for that, on an item that didn't originally require a permit to buy in the first place?"

He also had a few derogatory things to say about the writers and drafters of these new laws and demands.

He suggested that we contact the governor's office, to tell them that these forms are an invasion of privacy and make requests that supersede their authority.

I hate this fucking state.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:06:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Found this to be interesting reading regarding SSN's and the state's obligations if they are asking for them:

The Privacy Act of 1974 requires all government agencies — federal, state and local — that request SSNs to provide a "disclosure" statement on the form. The statement explains whether you are required to provide your SSN or if it’s optional, how the SSN will be used, and under what statutory or other authority the number is requested (5 USC 552a, note). The U.S. Office of Management and Budget, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs (OIRA) provides guidance and oversight regarding the Privacy Act of 1974. The text of the Privacy Act can be found at the Web site http://www.justice.gov/opcl/privstat.htm.

The Privacy Act states that you cannot be denied a government benefit or service if you refuse to disclose your SSN unless the disclosure is required by federal law, or the disclosure is to an agency that has been using SSNs before January 1975, when the Privacy Act went into effect. There are other exceptions as well. Read the Code of Federal Regulations section here: http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2008/julqtr/28cfr16.53.htm.

I'm sending copies of this info with my forms missing SSN's.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:10:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you need a permit to own a magazine you already lawfully possessed?

No - you may, for example, legally own magazines but no firearm.  Theoretically then, if those magazines were LCMs, you would have to register them.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:11:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Call the gubner's office at: (860) 566-4840

Tell them you want to speak to Natalie Wagner, who is the state's attorney, who handles all the firearms laws.

Speak to her or leave a message.

This is an invasion of privacy. Our social security numbers and the federally enforced retirement fund have nothing to do with firearms.

Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:13:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Found this to be interesting reading regarding SSN's and the state's obligations if they are asking for them:

The Privacy Act of 1974 requires all government agencies — federal, state and local — that request SSNs to provide a "disclosure" statement on the form. The statement explains whether you are required to provide your SSN or if it’s optional, how the SSN will be used, and under what statutory or other authority the number is requested (5 USC 552a, note). The U.S. Office of Management and Budget, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs (OIRA) provides guidance and oversight regarding the Privacy Act of 1974. The text of the Privacy Act can be found at the Web site http://www.justice.gov/opcl/privstat.htm.

The Privacy Act states that you cannot be denied a government benefit or service if you refuse to disclose your SSN unless the disclosure is required by federal law, or the disclosure is to an agency that has been using SSNs before January 1975, when the Privacy Act went into effect. There are other exceptions as well. Read the Code of Federal Regulations section here: http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2008/julqtr/28cfr16.53.htm.

I'm sending copies of this info with my forms missing SSN's.

This is good, but would it be better if someone sent this info first to them and asked for clarification?  Sending forms back and forth adds to the aggravation - can any practicing lawyers in CT (LibertyUberAlles ro Redleg) weigh in on this?

Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:17:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Fantasitic!
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:22:41 AM EDT
[#19]
It would appear that in four instances in PA 13-3 they mention the word "Social Security Number". PA 13-220 only mentions it once.

It would appear that after January 1, 2014 to perform a national instant criminal background check of the prospective transferee the state says the prospective transferor or prospective transferee "shall provide to such dealer the name, sex, race, date of birth and state of residence of the prospective transferee and, if necessary to verify the identity of the prospective transferee, may provide a unique numeric identifier including, but not limited to, a Social Security number, and additional identifiers including, but not limited to, height, weight, eye and hair color, and place of birth."

The state indicates for transferring a large capacity magazine to a licensed gun dealer after January 1, 2014 the "certificate of transfer shall contain: (A) The date of sale or transfer; (B) the name and address of the seller or transferor and the licensed gun dealer, and their Social Security numbers or motor vehicle operator license numbers, if applicable; (C) the licensed gun dealer's federal firearms license number; and (D) a description of the large capacity magazine."

The state indicates for a transfer of an assault weapon to a licensed gun dealer the "certificate of transfer shall contain: (1) The date of sale or transfer; (2) the name and address of the seller or transferor and the licensed gun dealer, their Social Security numbers or motor vehicle operator license numbers, if applicable; (3) the licensed gun dealer's federal firearms license number and seller's permit number; (4) a description of the assault weapon, including the caliber of the assault weapon and its make, model and serial number; and (5) any other information the commissioner prescribes. The licensed gun dealer shall present such dealer's motor vehicle operator's license or Social Security card, federal firearms license and seller's permit to the seller or transferor for inspection at the time of purchase or transfer."
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:25:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Since it doesn't say what kind of paper the form needs to be printed on, I'm thinking a trip to Staples for the brightest, most obnoxiously fluorescent paper is in order.

rainbow colored paper

and spritz the paper with perfume
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:25:39 AM EDT
[#21]
It would appear then that the PA 13 and/or the forms are at odds with the privacy act?
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:31:05 AM EDT
[#22]
do we have to get these forms notarized?
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:36:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
do we have to get these forms notarized?

AW--yes as indicated right on the form.  No mention of it on the LCM form.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:37:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like it or not, one is gambling if they choose not to comply. They are gambling that they will never have the police stop them on the way to or from the range. That the police won't stalk the ranges looking for people with registered items. That their wife, girlfriend, significant other, won't rat them out in a fit of anger, jealousy, or during a divorce. That the police won't enter their home at some point for some other reason and find the unregistered items.

Since I'm not a native, can you please tell me at what point did the people of CT loose their will to fight? People out here just seem to accept the status quo.    

Cannot give you an exact date but it happened a LONG time ago. We'll know for certain after next year's election if the voters decide they want to continue to have a progressive (either Democrat or Republican) governor and if they want to continue having veto proof progressive Democratic control of both CT legislative houses. If the majority of voters continue to want anti gun politicians, high taxes, and out of control spending then CT will continue on the destructive path it is currently on.

Lets be honest. Guns for most people are NOT high on their things to be concerned about. Outside of this and other firearm forums, most people simply don't care about the 2nd Amendment UNTIL they decide they want to buy a gun and try to buy one. Most people are NOT single issue 2A voters. 2A is way down their list of reasons why they will vote for or against a candidate. The media has done an effective job of brainwashing most in this state on the laws and to demonize guns. Lets face it, most people don't give their rights second thought, or even care about them, until they find out the government has restricted them, by then its too late.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:40:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Just spoke with SLFU and they said that you HAVE TO give your SSN.  If it is not on the forms they will RETURN IT.

WTF.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:41:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just spoke with SLFU and they said that you HAVE TO give your SSN.  If it is not on the forms they will RETURN IT.

WTF.

WILL NOT COMPLY

I'd rather reduce my rifles to parts kits than be unlawfully forced to submit my SSN.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:43:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
for the guys who registered stuff back in 94,

what was the process when/if you moved, or changed addresses?

would you have to send in another form if you moved?

or would you be stuck with a certificate with an invalid address?

I'm wondering this myself as I'll be moving in the spring and unfortunately will be staying in CT
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:48:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

WTF.

Maybe it's time for another lawsuit.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:54:35 AM EDT
[#30]
My trust has no ss#
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:55:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Maybe it's time for another REVOLUTION.

Link Posted: 7/3/2013 7:00:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

WTF.

Just like towns HAVE TO rule on your pistol permit application in 8 weeks...  Some animals are more equal than others.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 7:04:50 AM EDT
[#33]
So when one registers a lower one brought from out of state, and has to issue an affidavit because of no paperwork, does one mention the fact that it is a lower receiver in the affidavit, or just say "item referred to in the certificate" or some such?  

I am hoping to reunite the upper for it after I register the lower, but if I mention it is a lower, would that preclude me from putting the evil upper back on?
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 7:09:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe it's time for another REVOLUTION.

Standing by at the rally point....
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 7:09:48 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

So when one registers a lower one brought from out of state, and has to issue an affidavit because of no paperwork, does one mention the fact that it is a lower receiver in the affidavit, or just say "item referred to in the certificate" or some such?  

I am hoping to reunite the upper for it after I register the lower, but if I mention it is a lower, would that preclude me from putting the evil upper back on?

They haven't really clarified any of that stuff yet. But there's been no mention on regulation or a ban on uppers, and it would be illegal for them to try to regulate or ban them with this law.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 7:16:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

1/14/39

Sure the state has had some fighters since then, but they have never been the majority, the fighters have gotten louder, and even had control at times. The current exodus started in the early 90's after those Thieving Goons in Hartford showed they didn't give a flying fuck about what the people think. 50k+ protesting a bill? Polls showing only 25% of the state supports it?  Pass that sucker. They vote new people in and get a bill passed getting rid of it? VETO!!!!!   Then the exit doors opened.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 7:21:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Can someone do a sample sworn affidavit that some of us could use?
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 7:29:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It doesn't have to be anyhing special.  Just parrot the words of the form.  E.g.:

"I purchased the assault weapon specified on the attached form on or prior to April 4, 2013 in compliance with state and federal laws."

The only word I don't like ther is "purchased" because it is too narrow.  I would prefer "acquired" instead.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 7:32:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

nobody has lost their will to fight

but if me myself do not register, i have the following to lose if caught

my personal well being
my career which i have 20-25 years left
my pension for my retirement which will be spent in north carolina
the possibility of having a family
and my anal virginity in prison

the line in the sand has not yet been crossed for me
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 7:35:08 AM EDT
[#40]
"I attest to the fact that I took legal possession of the item specified, on or prior to April 4, 2013, in compliance with state and federal laws."

I refuse to recognize the misnomer term "assault weapon" as the definition of my rifles.

Link Posted: 7/3/2013 7:35:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't have to be anyhing special.  Just parrot the words of the form.  E.g.:

"I purchased the assault weapon specified on the attached form on or prior to April 4, 2013 in compliance with state and federal laws."

The only word I don't tlike ther is "purchased" because it is too narrow.

I am using "serialized item" and "own" and "legally possess", as well as "applicable state and federal laws".  If I bought or have a lower that I got out of state when I was not a resident here, CT law does/did not apply.

ETA:  Maybe this will allow me to avoid the use of "lower receiver" - "serialized item"
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#42]
So what's the story with the thumb printing? Did anyone call and ask if you can do it yourself?
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 8:13:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So what's the story with the thumb printing? Did anyone call and ask if you can do it yourself?

saw over on ctgt, that one guy called and said finger prints can be done by your self

and also that the SS# is optional

im just glad were all on the same page
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 8:22:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

To the cock sucker  it may concern:

I  , Mr. Go fuck yourself, declare the said standard capacity magazines listed below  were purchased prior to and in my possession legally before Ol' Dannel Boys stupid fucking laws took effect!

List of items in possession:

AR15/223 30 round magazines
Total of none of your fucking business

AR15/223 20 round magazines
Total of go fuck yourself

AK 74 30 round Magazines
Total of what difference does it fucking make?

Ruger 10/22 25 round magazines
Total of 3 trillion...

Glock 20 17 round magazines:
Total of see 1-4 you communist fucks!

Signed

Notary?
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 8:23:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
"I attest to the fact that I took legal possession of the item specified, on or prior to April 4, 2013, in compliance with state and federal laws."

I refuse to recognize the misnomer term "assault weapon" as the definition of my rifles.

I'd do the same if I do a sworn statement. I was actually thinking of saying something like

"This document is to attest to the fact that I have legally purchased and took legal possession of the item(s) specified before April 4, 2013, items which are currently legal to buy and possess in 40+ other non Communist states. Items which are legal to manufacture within this state, but which cannot be sold to the peasants/komrades within this state. The personal items specified were purchased in compliance of Connecticut and Federal laws before Connecticut legislature and governor decided to gleefully throw out the Bill of Rights on April 4, 2013 and force me under threat of fines and or imprisonment to register my lawfully purchased and possessed personal property."

Link Posted: 7/3/2013 8:34:36 AM EDT
[#46]
How's this - do we have do a sworn one?

AFFIDAVIT OF MJM1

I, mjm1, being duly sworn, hereby attest to the following:
1.  I am  years old, and reside at ...., CT.
2.  I suffer no legal disabilities.
3.  I own and legally possess all of the items specified in the enclosed Form DESPP-0788-C.
4.  All of the items specified in the enclosed Form DESPP-0788-C were purchased on or before April 4, 2013, and in compliance with applicable state and federal laws.

____________________________
                                                                                                 mjm1

STATE OF CONNECTICUT, COUNTY OF HARTFORD
The foregoing instrument was acknowledged before me on this ____ day of __________, 2013, by mjm1, who, being first duly sworn on oath according to law, deposes and says he has read the foregoing affidavit subscribed by him, and that the matters stated herein are true and to the best of his information, knowledge and belief.

_______________________________
                                                                                                 Signature

_______________________________
                                                                                                Title/serial number/seal
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 8:52:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd do the same if I do a sworn statement. I was actually thinking of saying something like

"This document is to attest to the fact that I have legally purchased and took legal possession of the item(s) specified before April 4, 2013, items which are currently legal to buy and possess in 40+ other non Communist states. Items which are legal to manufacture within this state, but which cannot be sold to the peasants/komrades within this state. The personal items specified were purchased in compliance of Connecticut and Federal laws before Connecticut legislature and governor decided to gleefully throw out the Bill of Rights on April 4, 2013 and force me under threat of fines and or imprisonment to register my lawfully purchased and possessed personal property."

sbhaven I liked yours alot. I tweeked it a little bit but this will be my sworn affadavit that will be notarized and sent into the state

This document is to attest to the fact that I have legally purchased and took legal possession of the item(s) specified below before April 4, 2013. Items which are currently legal to buy and possess in 40+ other states, items which are legal to manufacture within the state of Connecticut but which cannot be sold to the citizens of Connecticut . The personal items specified below were purchased in compliance of Connecticut and Federal laws before Connecticut legislature and governor gleefully passed legisltation to force me and other law abiding citizens under threat of fines and or imprisonment to register our lawfully purchased and possessed personal property.

I do this not because I believe in this law or the people who created it but because I fear the unjust punishment I would recieve if I do not comply.
I do this under duress.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 9:02:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sbhaven I liked yours alot. I tweeked it a little bit but this will be my sworn affadavit that will be notarized and sent into the state

This document is to attest to the fact that I have legally purchased and took legal possession of the item(s) specified below before April 4, 2013. Items which are currently legal to buy and possess in 40+ other states, items which are legal to manufacture within the state of Connecticut but which cannot be sold to the citizens of Connecticut . The personal items specified below were purchased in compliance of Connecticut and Federal laws before Connecticut legislature and governor gleefully passed legisltation to force me and other law abiding citizens under threat of fines and or imprisonment to register our lawfully purchased and possessed personal property.

I do this not because I believe in this law or the people who created it but because I fear the unjust punishment I would recieve if I do not comply.
I do this under duress.

I thoroughly enjoy that last part, may have to make it part of mine if I end up having to take the affidavit route
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 9:57:36 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do this under duress.

I thoroughly enjoy that last part, may have to make it part of mine if I end up having to take the affidavit route

This is good.  Throw in something about the illegal use of e-cert to pass the bill and then EVERYONE should use it as their sworn statement.

Link Posted: 7/3/2013 10:00:22 AM EDT
[#50]
I can already see this getting expensive.

Head to staples.  I bought a ream of Bright PINK paper, an ink pad and pull&seal envelopes.  I'm expecting another 40 bucks for stamps.  Plus the whatever the cost of sending them certified mail.

Sometimes it is worth it.

My sworn statement is going to be something like along this route.

As an atheist, I will not swear to whatever god you believe in.  I can only attest to owning the offending property on and/or before 4 Apr in accordance the laws at the time.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top