Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2013 7:32:42 PM EDT
Walmart has kept prices  pretty much at a pre-panic level on their ARs e.g. $1097 on a Colt LE6920.  Although most Walmart's I've seen don't  sell firearms much less ARs, I know they do exist in IL, but the Walmart site won't give up locations.   I'd like to know which stores carry the AR15 platform just in case I'm closer to one than I realize or will be traveling near one.

I'll get it started with ones I've read about and update this post as I get new information.

UPDATED 8/24/13

Effingham
Glen Carbon
Highland
Jacksonville
Jerseyville
Sparta
Wood River

DeKalb **Firearms, but NO ARs**
Plano   **Firearms, but NO ARs**
Link Posted: 8/19/2013 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2013 3:57:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Add to that Highland and Wood River.
Link Posted: 8/20/2013 6:00:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Add Sparta as well. They even had a SIG716.
Link Posted: 8/20/2013 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While not on your list you can pretty much forget the collar.

Don't even think there were any in the Decatur (Forsyth) one.
View Quote

I certainly wouldn't expect any in Cook county and the collar counties would be a surprise unless it was at the farthest reaches from Cook.

I've been in the Decatur (Forsyth) one and don't recall any.  I've been in other Walmarts in Central IL and Southern IL  but have only seen ammo in those.  Not sure if it's Walmart that decides by region or it's just too much a hassle to maintain the FFL even in rural areas.
Link Posted: 8/20/2013 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Add Sparta as well. They even had a SIG716.

Thanks.  I'll update the original post as information comes in.  I prefer to support my local gun store but AR prices haven't gotten back to where I would like.  I've found them cheaper online out of state but by the time one pays shipping and FFL transfer, the price gets to a  Walmart level . I've read about the stores in other states carrying Colts, Sig, DPMS, Bushmaster, etc and was a little surprised to find that to also be the case also in IL.
Link Posted: 8/20/2013 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#6]
while the Walmart in DeKalb sells firearms and ammunition, no AR's there.
Link Posted: 8/20/2013 6:10:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone check the one in Rochelle?
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 10:08:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Take Wood River off, they quit selling guns years ago when they built their super center.  I live in Wood River and it is the main reason I refuse to do business with walmart.  I do know that the Jerseyville store has had a few ARs.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 6:21:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Walmart has kept prices  pretty much at a pre-panic level on their ARs e.g. $1097 on a Colt LE6920.  Although most Walmart's I've seen don't  sell firearms much less ARs, I know they do exist in IL, but the Walmart site won't give up locations.   I'd like to know which stores carry the AR15 platform just in case I'm closer to one than I realize or will be traveling near one.

I'll get it started with ones I've read about and update this post as I get new information.

Effingham

Glen Carbon

Highland

Jacksonville

Sparta

Wood River

View Quote

Yup, Sparta and Highland do. The sporting goods manager at the Sparta store is pretty cool, knows his stuff and seems to be a hard worker.

I'm *pretty sure* the Waterloo Walmart sells guns now too.

Link Posted: 8/22/2013 8:49:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yup, Sparta and Highland do. The sporting goods manager at the Sparta store is pretty cool, knows his stuff and seems to be a hard worker.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Effingham
Glen Carbon
Highland
Jacksonville
Sparta
Wood River

If it's the guy I spoke with once he's great. He was willing to hold an AR for me for a few hours while I drove there to in his words 'be fair to everyone' even though he said every day there were guys lined up to buy them as soon as they were logged in.

Unheard of service for ChinaMart.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 10:08:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Don't even think there were any in the Decatur (Forsyth) one.
View Quote

Nope...haven't had firearms for quite a few years
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Does anyone know about the stores in Plano or in Morris?  Sounds like they were selling firearms at one time but don't know if they still do or carry ARs..

Olney?
Vandalia?
Salem?
Mt Vernon?
Litchfield?

Link Posted: 8/22/2013 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Plano has firearms never seen an AR there.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 8:59:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I can tell you that Walmart does not sell ARs in Bloomington, Galesburg, Lincoln, Pekin or Peoria.
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 3:53:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Take Wood River off, they quit selling guns years ago when they built their super center.  I live in Wood River and it is the main reason I refuse to do business with walmart.  I do know that the Jerseyville store has had a few ARs.
View Quote

They are selling firearms again. And had an ar in the case on Thursday.
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 7:08:35 AM EDT
[#17]
does anyone understand *how* Walmart determines which stores that carry firearms carry such things as AR's?

I have a good friend in Kansas who mentions that theirs also sell ammo by the tin and case (in bulk) but I've never seen it that way in Illinois.

It would be nice to see both start showing up in the Walmarts around here that sell firearms...
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 8:35:56 AM EDT
[#18]
The Walmart in Darien "May" get firearms.  That is the word from some of the Ammo Department workers.  But I'm not hold my breath.

They are expanding the Walmart to a Super Walmart or what ever they call them.  So I guess that is the thought process.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
does anyone understand *how* Walmart determines which stores that carry firearms carry such things as AR's?

I have a good friend in Kansas who mentions that theirs also sell ammo by the tin and case (in bulk) but I've never seen it that way in Illinois.

It would be nice to see both start showing up in the Walmarts around here that sell firearms...
View Quote

Usually it is by request. Most of the time it takes the dept manager thinking they will sell them. A few years ago I was able to get the local store to get the federal bulk packs of .223. They had them higher than any other walmart that usually carried them. I refused to buy them at that price. It was $40 a pack higher than the farmington mo store. They slowly sold and they did not get them in again.
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The Walmart in Darien "May" get firearms.  That is the word from some of the Ammo Department workers.  But I'm not hold my breath.

They are expanding the Walmart to a Super Walmart or what ever they call them.  So I guess that is the thought process.
View Quote

I"m almost shocked a store in the Chicago area would be stocking firearms (although I can remember when it seemed all the Walmarts sold them).  But even if true, I can't see them stocking evil black rifles.
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not sure where "here" is for you, but all of the confirmations so far seem to be SouthWestern/Southern IL.  I'd like to see something north of I80 or even I74.  I guess there's also the border stores in IN, WI and IA as an option.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 4:21:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Rochelle doesn't have squat.  They quit selling firearms some time ago (well before they built the new store) and their ammo selection was pathetic even before the panic.  I don't think I've seen a fresh box of ammo on the shelf in over a year, just the same dusty boxes of .270 and birdshot.  Rumor had it that they were going to start selling firearms again when Big R came to town, but that was right before the panic and nothing yet.  Big R, by the way, does sell firearms etc, and I'm pretty sure they had some ARs last time I was there.  I plan on swinging by there today.  Beginning to wonder if the Rochelle Walmart is anti.

Anyway, I think I heard Freeport and maybe Rockton carried ARs, but I'm not sure.  Beloit isnt too far and might be worth a check too,
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 6:54:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Can any Walmart order one though? Say can I go to my local Walmart and order a colt ar?
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 7:17:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Can any Walmart order one though? Say can I go to my local Walmart and order a colt ar?
View Quote

I believe the store would have to have an FFL, but from reading  about stores in other states in GD, apparently some do and some don't/won't/can't do special orders

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#25]
But if they sell ammo, they have to have an ffl right?
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Wanted to post a correction.  Walmart made a liar out of me.
Just got back from Rochelle and they actually had some ammo in stock, 40 and 45 in 100 rd packs,  45 in20 rd (PPU) and Independence 5.56.  There were some others.  Not sure about 9mm as 45 and 556 is what I was focused on.  The lady at the counter said she was surprised to see it come in last night and that it'll go fast once everybody figures out its there.  As I was checking out with some 45 and 5.56 someone on the phone was on his way for some 45.

Edited to add: They do still have a 3 box limit.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
But if they sell ammo, they have to have an ffl right?
View Quote

Yes, I assume so unless there's a more limited type of FFL. I suppose it could be a combination of local laws as well as how much of a bookkeeping hassle the store manager is willing to deal with.  Buying ammo in Walmart lately sometimes they have trouble just finding a person with a valid FOID card to sell it to me much less dealing with firearm purchase requirements.

Here's one thing you might try though.  I was traveling and stopped into a Walmart recently that had tons of evil black ARs including a  Colt 6940 and multiple Colts with Magpul furniture.  They had several stickers around the counter area about purchasing from the special order catalog.  So if you have a Walmart nearby that sells firearms, you might check if they are participating in this special order program.

I tried to find the post in GD but failed...I seem to remember something about Walmart ARs only come from a specific distributer and they weren't available to all Walmarts, but I could totally be remembering incorrectly.

Edit: Don't know if accurate, but this thread may give insight into which stores are able to order ARs and why http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1411064_Walmart_guns___which_stores_carry_what__and_why_.html

..."I sent a "question" to corporate on the Walmart.com website yesterday.
I received a call from the sporting goods manager's boss this morning.
He said she used the wrong terminology. I think she was simply confused.
Turns out his store, and stores like his are required to buy certain guns from certain distributors.
He needs permission from corporate to order from the distributor that supplies AR type rifles.
He said he has proven he has a customer base, and believes he will have permission early January. "...
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I thought the last time I was in the East Peoria store I noticed that they carried firearms but no AR's, that was during the panic though so maybe they were just out. I don't get up that way much, maybe someone local can double check.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm a little late coming to this thread, but I was told a couple of months ago that the Walmart in Johnsburg (McHenry County, far NW burbs) would begin selling long guns this month.  I haven't been there to check, but now that I remembered it, I may stop in there on the way home from work tomorrow to see if that's true or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top