Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2012 8:39:17 AM EDT
I have four walmarts within 20 miles or so.

The one closest to me carries firearms.  The rest don't.

I just spoke to the sporting goods manager at my closest Walmart, and asked if they can order AR type rifles.

She said no, that it takes a special "permit" to order "assault weapons" from their distributer.

I don't know if I believe this.  Is she pushing her own agenda, or is it a Walmart policy, or is she telling the truth?

UPDATE:

I sent a "question" to corporate on the Walmart.com website yesterday.
I received a call from the sporting goods manager's boss this morning.
He said she used the wrong terminology.  I think she was simply confused.
Turns out his store, and stores like his are required to buy certain guns from certain distributors.
He needs permission from corporate to order from the distributor that supplies AR type rifles.
He said he has proven he has a customer base, and believes he will have permission early January.

The biggest shock was he rattled off the various makes/models he wants to order when authorized.
He seems to know a LOT more about firearms than the manager he has behind the counter.

So, I'm happy.  

He also said he received 32 cases of Federal .223 100 round value packs last night.
He invited me to come help myself.  $34.95 a box.

Sounds like a great guy.  I need to introduce myself in person.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:05:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I have never seen an "Assault Weapon" in a Wal Mart. What do they look like?

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:08:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Used to they all carried long guns. Before that, some carried pistols. A few years ago to reduce liability the company decided to winnow it down to 1 store per district typically would carry guns. Others would carry ammo only. We have several here in Chattanooga that carry guns but they can be in different districts even though they are geographically close to one another.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#3]
The one in my town sells fudd guns only.The next one 30 miles away sells no guns.The next one also 30 miles away sells AR's and such.Go figure.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:09:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Just fudd guns in Concord, NH...
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#5]
walmart is stupid, never should have sold firearms in the first place
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:10:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Right now you can't order shit. They are pretty much all sold out. Just keep calling and stopping in and hope you picked a day when an order came in.

One by me received an order of a single 6920 yesterday. Looks like sporadic and small deliveries will be the norm.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:17:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm pretty sure that they base each store's product mix on local market demand, and, in the case of firearms, neighborhood crime stats.  I've never seen any in an urban Walmart.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:20:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What a dumb thing to say.  And what the fuck is up with that tier 33 username?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:24:13 AM EDT
[#9]
After the shooting in Newtown our Walmart removed all of the 'black rifles', even though they were just .22 LR versions from the display cabinet. There was a sign that said the 'lock was broken' on the display counter.

Prior to that they had rifles, .22 caliber AR-style rifles, and shotguns.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:24:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Well if the district thing is true why do they only sell guns in the least populated areas? We have three walmarts pop about 250k no guns yet walmarts an hour away with a pop of less than 10k sell guns. Doesn't seem to make logical sense to me.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:26:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Everyone here carries long arms and ammo.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:26:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The one in my town sells fudd guns only.The next one 30 miles away sells no guns.The next one also 30 miles away sells AR's and such.Go figure.

This.

WalMart is profiling. Effectively.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Nobody answered the question yet.
What is the real reason a firearm-stocking store that doesn't carry ARs wont order an AR?

I mean, if they can sell an 870, why not an LE6920?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

What is the real reason a firearm-stocking store that doesn't carry ARs wont order an AR?

Because there are none to fucking order. They have all put in blanket orders for multiple rifles. No guarantee on delivery of anything.

You can't order what they don't have or don't know if they will.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Walmart needs to start selling the Troy rifles Dicks won't sell anymore
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:31:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Because there are none to fucking order. They have all put in blanket orders for multiple rifles. No guarantee on delivery of anything.  

Did you read the original post?  
My local store that carries bolt rifles and shotguns has never stocked ARs.
They are claiming they would need a special permit.
I'm guessing that is BS.
But I wonder if there is another reason.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:33:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just fudd guns in Concord, NH...

And in my local one as well.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have never seen an "Assault Weapon" in a Wal Mart. What do they look like?

They are big box retail stores with lettering in the front that says:

Walmart
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:05:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I just spoke to the sporting goods manager at my closest Walmart, and asked if they can order AR type rifles.

She said no, that it takes a special "permit" to order "assault weapons" from their distributer.

I don't know if I believe this.  Is she pushing her own agenda, or is it a Walmart policy, or is she telling the truth?

Ankeny, IA has had a few AR type rifles.  I don't know why they can sell them and yours can't though.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:09:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I disagree.....I bought a 6920 and a Sig Sauer M400 from Walmart at very decent prices.   Walmart has some of the best ammo prices around..........if you can get there when they have what you want in stock.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#21]
My walmart stopped selling firearms over 10 years ago
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:13:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you read the original post?  
My local store that carries bolt rifles and shotguns has never stocked ARs.
They are claiming they would need a special permit.
I'm guessing that is BS.
But I wonder if there is another reason.

If this is the first time you talked to someone at wally that doesn't have a fucking clue you must not shop there much
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ankeny, IA has had a few AR type rifles.  I don't know why they can sell them and yours can't though.

none of the walmarts around here carry any guns
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Around where?

Ankeny, Dubuque, Davenport, Ottumwa,..  all do.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Around where?

Ankeny, Dubuque, Davenport, Ottumwa,..  all do.

Cedar Rapids Marion Iowa City all the smaller town in the area like Tipton Anamosa

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:49:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Burlington and I think Keokuk maybe Fairfield still do
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:06:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Priced a Howa Axiom in .308 today.  Might have to order it.  No ARs otherwise.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#28]

They have an order book with pictures and everything. Ask to see the book and order away.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#29]
My local walmart was quoted in the paper today saying they still had "assault rifles"  in stock though I highly doubt it
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Some districts give Walmart tax breaks and (zoning rights)? In agreement that they don`t sell black-guns. Have 4 within an hour, no black guns, not even sp. order.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
They have an order book with pictures and everything. Ask to see the book and order away.

Colt LE6920 isnt in the book, but there is an order number and UPC on their website.
Local store sells firearms, but won't order the Colt.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Local one in fredericksburg sells ARs, but the stores to the north in northern Va do not sell guns at all.  Someone was in today asking about ordering something and the gun he wanted was a normally stocked gun so ordering was not possible.  They told him that he could only special order items they did not usually stock.

On a funny note, the guy was pointing out to his wife that since none if the guns in the case had pistol grips that they were all going to be banned... even the bolt action rifles.  He has read Feinstein's bill and knew all about it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#33]
All of my local walmarts sell guns.

They all sell ARs and sig rifles.

One nearby still has colt 6920s on stock.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Um, why haven't you bought them all?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because I have 1 and that's enough for now.

I'll let other people have a chance to get one for a decent price.

I doubt a ban will make it through... Especially Feinstein's bill.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding.
If you were closer, they would be out of stock.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#37]
I was in my ocal Walmart this morning and they were not only sold out of ARs, but their entire stock of long guns (no hadguns here) looked pretty thin compared to the usual.  They did have one of the Sig 22lr rifles left.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#38]
What are "assault weapons"?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:37:45 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Colt LE6920 isnt in the book, but there is an order number and UPC on their website.

Local store sells firearms, but won't order the Colt.
I just looked and it isnt in their book, but that doesnt mean they cant order it. They get them just like they always did, just like any other FFL.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#40]
One of my best friends special ordered a Smith and Wesson 500 magnum, Alaska Commemorative Edition from Walmart. He waited 6 weeks on it to come in.

It was beautiful. Had a Grizzly bear on in in Gold. I believe he paid 1200 for that pistol.

I went to the Walmart by my house tonight.

They had ZERO .223/5.56 ammo. Plenty of 7.62x39mm brass cased Winchester though in the value packs.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#41]
wife says each wal mart general manager makes that call. - what to stock, types, etc

source - wife has worked for walmart 6 years, in store managemnt team.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Local one in fredericksburg sells ARs, but the stores to the north in northern Va do not sell guns at all.  Someone was in today asking about ordering something and the gun he wanted was a normally stocked gun so ordering was not possible.  They told him that he could only special order items they did not usually stock.

On a funny note, the guy was pointing out to his wife that since none if the guns in the case had pistol grips that they were all going to be banned... even the bolt action rifles.  He has read Feinstein's bill and knew all about it.

the wal-mart near me in mechanicsville used to get  EBR,S in from time to time . now they have'nt gotten any in about 4 to 6 months...
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 5:21:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
wife says each wal mart general manager makes that call. - what to stock, types, etc

This makes sense.  
Time to contact that guy.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 7:28:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

10% off guns and ammo for you
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Update in OP
Link Posted: 12/31/2012 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Probably because it is a lot of trouble for a store like Walmart to special order anything. That is not the type of store to do that. They sell tons and tons of cheap shit REALLY CHEAP by utilizing economies of scale.

Different stores carry different things based on market demand research. For example, the Walmarts located in faggy college towns in Arizona do not carry guns, but the walmarts in the rural areas have a full complement of EBRs.

Link Posted: 12/31/2012 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably because it is a lot of trouble for a store like Walmart to special order anything. That is not the type of store to do that. They sell tons and tons of cheap shit REALLY CHEAP by utilizing economies of scale.

Different stores carry different things based on market demand research. For example, the Walmarts located in faggy college towns in Arizona do not carry guns, but the walmarts in the rural areas have a full complement of EBRs.

Well, you posted a bunch of garbage without reading my update.

My local store that sells guns would be happy to order anything in the catalog they can order from.

They process the order the same as any other gun store would.

They just don't have authorization from corporate to order from the corporate-approved distributor that carries AR rifles.

Top Top