Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2015 7:50:31 PM EDT
Wife and I are taking a few days in Door County the last week in June.
We are staying in Sturgeon Bay.

What's there to do there?
In my mind I see little main streets littered with shops with scented lotions and candles.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:09:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Head about 5 minutes north into Carlsville and check out the Door Peninsula winery. They make some great stuff and have free tastings!
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:43:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Wife and I are taking a few days in Door County the last week in June.
We are staying in Sturgeon Bay.

What's there to do there?
In my mind I see little main streets littered with shops with scented lotions and candles.
View Quote

What... no t-shirt shops?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:04:50 AM EDT
[#3]
You can find your mind in Fish Creek...
Cave point is interesting.
A ferry ride to Washington Island is always cool...take your wheels with... that island is big.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:13:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can find your mind in Fish Creek...
Cave point is interesting.
A ferry ride to Washington Island is always cool...take your wheels with... that island is big.
View Quote

What you did there, I see it.

So what's there to do on Washington Island?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:39:34 AM EDT
[#5]
There are at least two state parks you can wander around. Peninsula State park has nice views. There used to be an outdoor type store on the north end of Door County that had some paddling/camping stuff. I haven't been there in a few years. If you find anything good let us know. My wife drags me there every couple years.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:46:45 AM EDT
[#6]
There is Jacobsons museum, several different parks, of which you can find a calm beach. A passenger ferry to Rock Island State Park is fun...but only if you are into hiking. And three bar's. One could always join the Bitters Club. There is a eatery called KK Fisk that has fresh whitefish and Burbot (lawyer) supplied by the owner who still runs a commercial fish tug, moored at Jackson Harbor. The last time I was at the harbor they had a fishing museum of sorts also. There are miles of roads and some of the fun is finding one's own adventure. If it's at all windy the ferry ride over thru Death's Door keeps it interesting.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:16:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah go to the pub/bar on the Island and join the bitters club.

Cool story - they operated as a pharmacy during prohibition and could prescribe/sell aromatic bitters.

IIRC the burgers were solid, too.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah go to the pub/bar on the Island and join the bitters club.

Cool story - they operated as a pharmacy during prohibition and could prescribe/sell aromatic bitters.

IIRC the burgers were solid, too.
View Quote

Shhh...can't give up too many Island secrets. Part of the fun about that place is finding out...ummm a word of caution...do NOT overdoo it with that bittetrs shit  ...it will F#$@ U up...don't ask how I know.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:41:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Door County Brewing Co.  
Bailey's Harbor
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Keep them coming.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Coyote Roadhouse just outside of Baileys Harbor has good greasy food

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:45:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Coyote Roadhouse just outside of Baileys Harbor has good greasy food

View Quote

Hope their service improved over the years.  Worst service I ever had (and I eat out a lot).  Didn't even bother to stick around long enough to try their food and we sat at our table for over an hour when the restaurant was basically empty.  Too many other good options in Door County.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:35:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Wife and I just got back.

Beers at Shipwrecked are good.
I'll second the suggestion to get breakfast at Al Johnson's
Sonny's pizza is also a good place.

If you're into history, the maritime museum in Sturgeon Bay is cool. Also, the Arthur M Anderson is currently at Bay Shipbuilding and can be seen from the road.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Here is a thread I made after visiting Door County for a weekend. Lots of pictures:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1367687_Northern_Wisconsin_Trip___Pics____56k_Die__Die__Die__.html

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:58:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Charlie's Smokehouse in Gills Rock/Ellison Bay is pretty good if you liked smoked fish. I found the salmon amazing.
There are some decent fish boils around. (Pelletier's, Fish Creek) & (Viking Grill & Lounge, Ellison Bay)
Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant in Sister bay has some good food as well. They have a grass roof with goats on it.
Not licked Yet in Fish Creek (custard)
White Gull Inn in Fish Creek (Awesome breakfasts)

I enjoyed fishing there as well as going to Whitetails Unlimited National Headquarters which is in Sturgeon Bay.

There are a few golf courses there. I played Idlewild Golf Club a few times in Sturgeon Bay and enjoyed it.

I found that there was one maybe two shops per town that interested me.

View Quote

Pelletier's is the overrated, ultra touristy fish boil. White Gull Inn IMO has the best fish boil that I've been to up there. I'll second about White Gull having amazing breakfast, and Not Licked Yet is a must.

Some of my favorite restaurants are JJs in Sister Bay, Gibraltar Grill in Fish Creek, Wild Tomato (excellent pizza) in Fish Creek as well. If you want a sunset and want to grab a drink, hit up Fred and Fuzzy's. It's a little outdoor bar/restaurant between Ephraim and Sister Bay, neat place. If you're looking to drink, hit up Husby's in Sister Bay. Their garage bar is a ton of fun, and usually has some decent live music. The Sister Bay Bowl across the street from Husby's has good food and is a fun time as well. Bayside in Fish Creek is usually a pretty good party, some of the craziest nights I've ever had involved that place.

My family has a place up there and I've been going up there since I was born, plus I worked up there for 5 summers at a campground. Let me know if you have any questions, I'm more than happy to answer. I miss that place , definitely don't get to go back very often.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:03:09 AM EDT
[#17]
The wife is from up in DC.

So I can second the White Gull as an awesome fish boil.

In Sturgeon Bay, you can rent a pontoon boat and tool around while the $500,000 skin boats go past and give you a good look at the kind of women money can buy.
Its not a terrible way to spent the afternoon. Next time we do it, I decided I'll ride a jet ski while they do the pontoon.

There's also beaches to walk on further up the peninsula,  and lots of little parks and villages with cool quirky restaurants to eat lunch at.  If nobody else mentioned it, go check out peninsula state park.  It's not as cool in the summer,  what with the ice melted and all, but it has some cool sights.
There's actually a ton of stuff to do. You just might have to go and find it.  Have fun!
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Who the hell boils fish?

That's got to be a Scandinavian thing.

I'm a Polish boy from Milwaukee, where fish is fried and served with beer.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:02:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Dude... it tastes like lobster when it's done right.

You can get fried fish at any crap town bar in Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:22:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Dude... it tastes like lobster when it's done right.

You can get fried fish at any crap town bar in Wisconsin.
View Quote

Can't get GOOD fish fry at any crap bar.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:12:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Well,  you're right about that.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, we checked in to our bed and breakfast a few hours ago.
Went for a walk down 3rd street.
The wife is on the balcony having a Shipwrecked beer.
There's a tamale place down the road.
This makes me happy.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:57:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Great IDPA match @  Door County Rod and Gun on the 4th if you're bored
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#24]
God I miss that area. I used to spend summers in Fish Creek at the grandparent's condo, and all previously mentioned places are great. I realize that your week is over, but I hope you had a great time. Biking Peninsula State Park was always fun as were many of the surrounding towns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top