Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey Rizz, random question. I want to get the wife in a handgun class, but she caught the preggers (4 1/2 months or so now). Am I gonna have to wait till after the kiddo comes to get her into a class? I was talking to her about it last night and she said she'd rather do the class pregnant than in the summer. I told her I wasn't sure how feasible that would be.

IM inbound.

Link Posted: 12/31/2012 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#2]
-Updated Course List, added new course dates for Copper Star Indoor Shooting Range in January

Upcoming Courses you don't want to miss:
IFAK Life Saver - Jan 5 - Camp Verde, AZ
Practical Shotgun - Jan 19 - Chino Valley, AZ
Defensive Carbine - Jan 20 - Chino Valley, AZ
Precision Rifle - Feb 2/3 - Florence, AZ

Here's a review of our Defensive Carbine course in November, written by Tim McBride: http://independencetraining.com/Nov2012_DefensiveCarbineReview.pdf
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Did you change the dates on the coyote clinic? For some odd reason i thought you had it on the calendar for 25th and 26th of Jan. or am I going crazy.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Did you change the dates on the coyote clinic? For some odd reason i thought you had it on the calendar for 25th and 26th of Jan. or am I going crazy.

Due to other engagements, the Coyote Clinic dates have been changed. The announcement for that course will be along shortly.

Link Posted: 1/4/2013 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Due to other engagements, the Coyote Clinic dates have been changed. The announcement for that course will be along shortly.

Okay sounds good. I had those days off at work already Ill keep a watchful eye out for your annoucement
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:58:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Glen when do I have to be signed up by for the precision rifle
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 7:50:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Glen when do I have to be signed up by for the precision rifle

By the end of January.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#8]
-Updated Course Dates
-Practical Shotgun, Defensive Carbine, and Precision Rifle are coming up very soon - this will be the last time we offer these courses for awhile, so get in while you can!
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:00:49 PM EDT
[#9]
-Added Women's Defensive Handgun on Feb 16th in Kearny, AZ
-Added Basic Handgun / AZ CCW on Feb 27/28 in Camp Verde, AZ - current CCW holders get a refresher course at 50% off!
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#10]
-Added several new course dates at the Copper Star Indoor Shooting Range in Camp Verde, including:
*Basic Handgun/ AZ CCW
*Defensive Handgun
*Low-Light/No-Light Handgun
*IFAK Life Saver
*Intro to Carbine
*Practical Rifle
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 7:03:11 PM EDT
[#11]
-Precision Rifle is less than 2 weeks away, and there are only 3 spots left! We usually only offer this course once a year, so get it while you can.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#12]
due to ammo availability I am going to have to opt out dont have enough 308
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Lot's of .308 still available at Copper Star Indoor Shooting Range in Camp Verde. It may not be the flavor you like, but it'll get the job done while you learn the concepts. One of the currently enrolled students will be using M80 Ball.

Link Posted: 1/26/2013 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hit me up if you still need some, I have 180 rounds of Remington UMC .308, 150gr that I can part with at a fair price...
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Women's Defensive Handgun is this weekend in Kearny - just a couple of days left to enroll!

-Course Dates Updated
-Added Defensive Carbine - March 17 - Chino Valley, AZ
-Added Basic Handgun/AZ CCW - March 27/28 - Camp Verde, AZ
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#16]
-Updated Course Dates and Offerings

-Defensive Carbine is THIS weekend, March 17th, in Chino Valley! If you've been wanting to take this class, jump on this opportunity before it's too late! Remember: we offer a discount to all AZCDL members - http://azcdl.org/html/member_discounts.html.
-IFAK Life Saver is coming up next weekend, March 23, in Camp Verde - the BEST day to prepare for the WORST day is TODAY.

-Don't forget to stop by our table at the Arizona Survivalist Show on March 30 at the Glendale Convention Center. We'll also be doing a couple of free seminars that day: Self-Reliance First-Aid with the IFAK @ 10a, and Alternative Training Methods in an Ammunition Starved Market @ 2:30p.
-Come out and be a part of the grand opening of the Chino Valley Shooting Facility on April 6! We'll be there raffling off some training and other prizes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Updated Course Listings
-Added LOTS of new course dates!
-Added several 4 hour courses: shorter courses = focus on skills and reduce amount of ammunition needed
-Added courses in UT and CO
-Added Way of the Gun courses in August
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
-Added several new course dates at the Copper Star Indoor Shooting Range in Camp Verde, including:
*Basic Handgun/ AZ CCW

I want to sign up for this for 5/16, and 5/17, but when I click the link in the first post of this thread, it opens your website. My problem is that the options on the top right for the PayPal checkout do not make sense.

No matter what I do, the total in my basket is always $65.

How do I pay for the full course at $125?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 4/19/2013 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I want to sign up for this for 5/16, and 5/17, but when I click the link in the first post of this thread, it opens your website. My problem is that the options on the top right for the PayPal checkout do not make sense.

No matter what I do, the total in my basket is always $65.

How do I pay for the full course at $125?

Thanks.

Sorry for the trouble - our Paypal code sometimes gives us problems. Email me at [email protected] and I can send you a Paypal invoice. You can also call @ 520-831-3683 and pay with any credit or debit card.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2013 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#20]
What is the deadline to register for the 5/15 and 5/16 AZ CCW class?
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What is the deadline to register for the 5/15 and 5/16 AZ CCW class?

24 hours prior.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey rizzo,
My question has 2 parts.
I want to take all three of your med courses. What order should I take them in?
How do you expect me to be a whore for your company when there are no shirts?
Thats website has been saying coming soon for months......
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hey rizzo,
My question has 2 parts.
I want to take all three of your med courses. What order should I take them in?
How do you expect me to be a whore for your company when there are no shirts?
Thats website has been saying coming soon for months......

1 - IFAK LifeSaver is the course that is most applicable to the average person. From there you can decide what course would be best for the next step.

2 - You are correct that our new website has not been updated with the shirts from the old website yet. We're too busy training! For the sake of getting the info out there, here are the shirt designs that we currently offer:
For larger image Click Here.

Link Posted: 6/5/2013 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Updated Course Dates
-Added lots of great courses and new dates all over Arizona!
-We will be hosting Semper Paratus Arms AR-15 Armorer's Course on July 6 and 7 in Prescott Valley, AZ: http://www.semperparatusarms.com/
-We will also be hosting Way of the Gun Performance Handgun and Performance Carbine on August 3 and 4 in Chino Valley, AZ: http://www.wayofthegun.us/
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Our ballcaps are back in stock! These are the same hats that you've seen us wear as instructors: Condor adjustable ballcaps with velcro tabs on the top and back. Available options are:

-Multicam solid with OD Green embroidery
-Multicam solid with Stone embroidery
-Multicam mesh back with Stone embroidery
-ATACS solid with OD Green embroidery
-ATACS solid with Stone embroidery

$20 + shipping, also available for purchase at our training courses!

AR500 steel target by ShootersElement (http://www.shooterselement.com/) - all Independence Training students get a 14% discount when purchasing targets from ShootersElement!
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#26]
When are you guys going to be doing the Precision Rifle class again?
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 4:40:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Not sure yet,  most likely later this year or early 2014 when it cools off. We're always open for doing private sessions, as well.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 10:28:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Any Ideas on when you might do the coyote clinic?
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Not sure yet,  most likely later this year or early 2014 when it cools off. We're always open for doing private sessions, as well.

Tell me more about these private sessions?
Link Posted: 8/20/2013 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#30]
New Course Dates!

Exciting and Unique Courses: Immediate Action Jiu-Jitsu (IAJJ) on Aug 31 and Coyote Clinic on Sept 28/29.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tell me more about these private sessions?
View Quote

It starts with a candle lit dinner and ends up laying in 19 degree sand and raping a box of tinfoil.....
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Added additional courses in October in the Prescott area:
-Defensive Handgun - Oct 10
-Advanced Handgun - Oct 11
-Defensive Carbine - Oct 18
-IFAK Life Saver - Oct 26
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Added additional courses in October in the Prescott area:
-Defensive Handgun - Oct 10
-Advanced Handgun - Oct 11
-Defensive Carbine - Oct 18
-IFAK Life Saver - Oct 26
View Quote

Is that advanced handgun class similar to the last one? If so, I am in for another round because that was amazing. Also I need to see if my new pistol does the tactical-self-disassembly like my other one.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 7:50:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Is that advanced handgun class similar to the last one? If so, I am in for another round because that was amazing. Also I need to see if my new pistol does the tactical-self-disassembly like my other one.
View Quote

It is the same course that you did with ragedracer.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 9:20:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Course Listings Updated with a couple of important pieces of new information:

-We will now be offering our training at the Joe Foss Shooting Complex in Buckeye, AZ - several course dates starting in November have been added
-Starting in March 2014, we will be offering our Advanced Carbine course as open-enrollment - until now it has been available on a private class basis only
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Email sent regarding the handgun courses in Prescott on October 10th and 11th.

Email answered, thanks for the quick response!
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 4:16:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Course Listings Updated

IFAK Life Saver on Oct 26 - our most popular "dirt medicine" course - has been moved to Mesa from Prescott Valley!
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Updated Course Listings - added lots of new dates!

-Added Long Gun Duo Deal - combine Nov 30 Defensive Carbine and Dec 1 Practical Shotgun and save $50!

-Our Precision Rifle course is now scheduled - get in while you can! New 3 day option with high-angle shooting and 1000m engagements!
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 8:56:03 AM EDT
[#39]
-Updated Course Dates
-ADDED New Survival and Emergency Prep courses
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
-Updated Course Dates
-ADDED New Survival and Emergency Prep courses
View Quote

I am going to be at Joe Foss tomorrow at the main range shoot...might stop in and finally meet the Rizzo.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#41]
-Course dates updated
-Survival/Emergency Prep course dates added
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Several Updates:

-Changed Precision Rifle course location to Peoria, AZ at AZ Cowtown
-IFAK Life Saver moved from Jan 11 in Camp Verde, AZ to Feb 8 in Mesa, AZ
-Added Women's Practical Carbine, March 29-30 in Buckeye, AZ. This is one course you DO NOT want the lady in your life to miss out on - or if you're the lady, don't miss out on it!
-Added Women's Self-Defense, Feb 1 in Oracle, AZ
-Other course listings updated - keep an eye out for 2 day course specials, coming soon!
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:37:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Since I'm probably not the only person with questions, I hope it's ok to ask here.  Questions are loosely based on my rifle, a AR-15 type.

Precision Rifle equipment requirements/suggestions.

(keep in mind, I have never been taught how to shoot long range nor do I have a firm grasp on the concepts; so some of these questions will probably be 'noobish')

Scope turrets with 40 MOA adjustment. My scope is in MILs.  i have 33 MILs of elevation adjustment, about 12 of which were used zeroing the scope.  Right now, I have a zero MOA base.  Would buying a 20 MOA base put my zero nearer the bottom of the scope adjustment and give me more available elevation?  Does a 20MOA base tilt the scope up in the back or in the front?  I've even tried sketching it on paper, but I'm not totally sure.  I think it raises the rear...  Essentially, I guess, what I'm asking is - "I would like my zero to be nearer the bottom of the adjustment, rather than in the middle, right?  How do I accomplish this, or should I?"

Rifle sling  Suggestions?  I use a single point on my 'fighting' rifle and just basic padded slings on any other guns that need them.  Is there a specific type I should be looking for?  Will a basic padded sling work or should it be more the leather type I see Service Rifle guys using?

Data Book or Dope Book  Per your suggestion, I bought an Impact Data book.  Should I work on filling any of it out now, or wait for the course?  I've never used one before, so I don't want to start it out screwed up.  Sections I'm mostly asking about are the rifle/shooter information.  Pace counts, measurements, etc.

Shooting Platform  I don't have a monopod for the rear.  I currently use an old sock filled with rice under the pistol grip.  Am I crazy or is this sort of what you're asking for?

Spotting scope/weather station/rangefinder  I don't have any of this equipment. Buying them is not in the budget right now. I could probably borrow a spotting scope and a rangefinder. Can I get by without these items or should I be begging around to borrow for now?

I think that covers most everything I can think of.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Base: A 20 MOA base will allow you to reach out to farther distances - what those distances will be depends on the optics and the caliber. A zero MOA base will still allow you to reach out pretty far, just depends on what your goals are. Using the ballistic data I found online for the 6.5 Grendel, shooting a 123gr Hornady AMAX (I know you are shooting the SST, but close enough), we can see that at 1000m you will be at 536.2 inches of drop, or 46.8 MOA of adjustment needed, which converts into 13.6 MILS. And yes, the higher end of the base goes towards the rear of the receiver, thus giving you more adjustment in your optic.

Sling: Don't get anything too fancy, just a standard sling that has some adjustment in it. We'll show you how best to use it and what kinds of other slings you may want to consider. A sling is only needed for the 3 day course.

Dope Book: Fill out the obvious stuff, including the dope from your shooting trip where you got a zero, as well as shooter and rifle info, round count, maintenance records, etc. Fill out what you can figure out, and we'll add to it at the class. Remember that a dope book is for you, not for anyone else, so only fill out the info that is useful to you. Even in my dope book, a lot of that shooter and rifle info is blank just simply because of the application of my rifle.

Platform: We're going to provide all shooters with a basic shooting bag for your stock, and no you're not crazy - that's basically what we're after, we just don't use rice. If you have sticks or a bipod of any size, bring them. We want to teach you to use what you have and then show you other options.

Gizmos: You won't use the electronics much, and when you will need them they will likely be available from us or possibly from your shooting partner (we'll assign you at class). If you can borrow at least a spotting scope and a rangefinder (for double checking your math), that would not be a bad idea.

If that doesn't answer your questions, or if you have more, let me know.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#46]
It looks like we're going to have a decent HTF representation at the Precicion Rifle class!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:50:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Color me really interested in the 3 day Precision rifle class, if I can make it work around school.  How physical will this class be?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Color me really interested in the 3 day Precision rifle class, if I can make it work around school.  How physical will this class be?

Not very physical - some positional shooting and a few small hills to climb is about the most physical you'll get. Precision Shooting is really more mentally tasking than anything else.

Quoted:
It looks like we're going to have a decent HTF representation at the Precicion Rifle class!

For now, only you and ragedracer. Corporal_Chaos would make 3.

BTW, we only have 2 slots left, so if you want in you'd better not delay.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If that doesn't answer your questions, or if you have more, let me know.

View Quote

That pretty much did it.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 7:31:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Course Listings Updated

-Defensive Carbine and Advanced Carbine courses less than a month away!
-Women's Practical AR-15 course coming up soon!
-Shivworks ECQC Course added to the schedule
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 11:36:16 PM EDT
[#50]
do you still have room in defensive carbine later this month?  I haven't done shit for training the last year with this new job kicking my ass . Need a refresher and some motivation . Plan on leaving the job after vacation for something less time consuming so I have more time for family and guns and killing things with four legs.    Gotta knock the rust off.  If my next paycheck is decent Ill probably go for it.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top