Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2012 1:52:36 PM EDT
Hello all and thank you for such a great resource. I had a couple of questions I was hoping you guys had the answers for.

First I just got my first AR in December as a Christmas gift from my wife (Thank you!). She purchase a S&W M&P 15 OR for me. The questions I have are:

1 - I would like to change the muzzle break to one of the Troy Industries medieval muzzle breaks. Is this legal in California? If so is this something I can do myself or would I need a gunsmith?

2 - I would also like to install a free float style guard but my rifle has a delta ring. What is the difficulty level in changing to a free float style?

3 - Last I would love to get your opinions on optics. I purchased a NC Star ACOG style scope and it turned out to be a steaming pile. It is currently back for warranty as every shot I took with this scope you could visibly see the crosshairs wiggle. I know I will have to spend a little more to get something worth while and have been looking at EO Tech, Trijicon, and Aimpoint as solutions. What would you guys recommend and do you have leads on where I would find the best deal?

Thank you guys for your time if you can help, I do appreciate it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Muzzle break is doable, the S&W is not pinned.  
The FF forend is easily accomplished using a Daniel Defense Omega rail which utilizes the factory nut and delta ring.  Not to mention it is rock solid and made by one of the best companies in the business.
Optics are very personal.  It depends on the application.  You can't go wrong as long as you buy quality.  

BTW, I'm in SoCal if you need help with any installation.  I have some tools that will make the FH change a little easier.

D
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you everyone for your help and links! I do appreciate it. Being new here I had done a few searches but nothing turned up so the links are extremely helpful. Also the recommendation to check out Calguns. Thanks again everyone.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I also live in CA.....even worse Los Angeles.....

As long as you have the bullet button and 10rd.....all is open game on flash hiders.

For the sight I use a EOTech 552......but look at the Vortex SPARC......great reviews, and would be my other choice compared to the EOTech.... and it is  $300 cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 1:47:17 PM EDT
[#4]
1) a flash hider change is simple. Just need a 3/4" open end wrench

2) DIY free floats are easy to do and YouTube has a bunch of videos on how to chop down your FSB if you choose to do so. I did it and it took me less than 2 hrs. It's also easy to take a dremel and just cut off the delta ring.

3) I have a Vortex Sparc and I like it thus far. Don't have a lot of rounds thru my gun, but my Sparc seems to be holding up. Cost me $180
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 11:21:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I can't help you with number one since I lack knowledge of crapassfornia's laws.

Read through the optics FAQ for some really great and helpful info.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/493308_AR_Optics__FAQ.html

Good deals pop up in this thread from time to time.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/537184_LOOKING_FOR_OPTICS_DEALS__Post_read_here___READ_OP_BEFORE_POSTING_.html&page=4

And this thread is absolutely awesome for building AR's including free float rails.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/226782_Assemble_your_own_LOWER__UPPER__FREE_FLOAT__TRIGGER__GAS_BLOCK___Step_by_step_instructions_.html
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I recommend you go to www.calguns.net. They're a very knowledgeable (albeit goofy ) group of Californian gun owners. They'll be able to help you out more than we will.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hello all and thank you for such a great resource. I had a couple of questions I was hoping you guys had the answers for.

First I just got my first AR in December as a Christmas gift from my wife (Thank you!). She purchase a S&W M&P 15 OR for me. The questions I have are:

1 - I would like to change the muzzle break to one of the Troy Industries medieval muzzle breaks. Is this legal in California? If so is this something I can do myself or would I need a gunsmith?

2 - I would also like to install a free float style guard but my rifle has a delta ring. What is the difficulty level in changing to a free float style?

3 - Last I would love to get your opinions on optics. I purchased a NC Star ACOG style scope and it turned out to be a steaming pile. It is currently back for warranty as every shot I took with this scope you could visibly see the crosshairs wiggle. I know I will have to spend a little more to get something worth while and have been looking at EO Tech, Trijicon, and Aimpoint as solutions. What would you guys recommend and do you have leads on where I would find the best deal?

Thank you guys for your time if you can help, I do appreciate it.

Hopefully your rifle is already fitted with a bullet button to lock the 10 round magazine in place.

The muzzle break can be easily swapped out so long as the current flashhider is not pinned in place. If it is a true 16" barrel, chances are it has not been pinned. Easy to change by using the correct wrench, see the Build It Yourself forum here, lots of good info.

For the other issues, read up a bit on the links others have shown

Calguns is a good resource for CA laws and what folks are doing to enjoy their rifles.

Welcome to Arfcom.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 11:46:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I recommend you go to www.calguns.net. They're a very knowledgeable (albeit goofy ) group of Californian gun owners. They'll be able to help you out more than we will.

This, and welcome!
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#9]
In regards to changing the muzzle device, I recommend putting the barrel in a vice before wrenching so you're not torquing the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Aimpoint vs EOTech

Again!

Buy an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Goofy?  Thanks, I always wanted to be a Disney character.  Why is it a guy from Arizona has to horn in on a question about California regs, and insult California gun owners in the process?

But, Calguns.net is a good place for answers.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top