Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:19:20 PM EDT
[#1]
This is just a zoomed in picture of one that I've already posted. I'll get a better one later for you

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#2]
What's the URL of the CMP forums?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:00:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

http://forums.thecmp.org

If you make a thread link the thread here if you don't mind.  I'd like to follow the progress.  Cool find.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If you make a thread link the thread here if you don't mind.  I'd like to follow the progress.  Cool find.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I definitely will. You all seem excited as to what I might have
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#6]
It's quite a lengthy approval process over there. I'll post a thread when I hear back from them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#7]
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?p=1146121&posted=1#post1146121
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Well more than the avg mixmaster...

It's a 1960 Type 2 NM by the bbl markings. Send in the $30 to the cmp and see if they have a sales record for it. May have been rebuilt 1963 and didn't get hooded sight update.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This is just a zoomed in picture of one that I've already posted. I'll get a better one later for you

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp107/mlucroy/D7C45605-1648-4140-AE0B-906F876CA337_zps40vv5cvt.png
View Quote

Its been fired as there is a  primer ring on the bolt face ,this happens after alot of rds down the tube.  From the looks for the bolt face and punch marks on the barrel its been reparked
I have USGI  unissued ,new barrels that will have muzzle wear of 2 so you can not judge if a barrel is new by how they gage
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Its been fired as there is a  primer ring on the bolt face ,this happens after alot of rds down the tube.  From the looks for the bolt face and punch marks on the barrel its been reparked
I have USGI  unissued ,new barrels that will have muzzle wear of 2 so you can not judge if a barrel is new by how they gage
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp107/mlucroy/D7C45605-1648-4140-AE0B-906F876CA337_zps40vv5cvt.png

Go over to the CMP forums. They are pretty damn excited about it. I know jackshit about it. Im gonna send in to have them paperwork it. IF everything turns out good, I am sitting on a $5000 gun
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I never said it wasnt a good rifle, just not unfired as you suggested. I hope it does turn out to be a legit NM rifle
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I never said it wasnt a good rifle, just not unfired as you suggested. I hope it does turn out to be a legit NM rifle
View Quote

No, I wasnt saying that you did say that. Sorry if I misspoke. However, I do have AR BCs that have the ring, new in the box.

ETA:

That being said, I do think it has been fired. Just not much.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#13]
ok if you can find out if its a NM its like using google.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=426356630
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
ok if you can find out if its a NM its like using google.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=426356630
View Quote

I spoke to one of the MODs over there and he said best case scenario is $5-6000

Worst case is $2-3000

I LIKE THAT
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:21:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a Garand novice but it looks exciting from what I am currently seeing there
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:22:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hotlinked

ETA just got done reading the thread, that's awesome man.  Send off for that verification.   What a cool find, I'm pretty happy for you on finding that piece of history (that it looks to be).
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah they're saying that it could be rare. I'm pretty excited.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:16:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Very cool.

Grats OP
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#19]
wow ,,what a find your a lucky guy .. thinking the cmp guys are totin woodies after seeing this gun ...
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:00:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
wow ,,what a find your a lucky guy .. thinking the cmp guys are totin woodies after seeing this gun ...
View Quote

That depends on what type is ends up as lol. We are playing the waiting game right now.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:12:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

He used a bore diameter guage on it. The gauge went to the first mark. Which means probably test fired only, MAYBE fired a couple of times ther than that. I'll see if I have a picture of the bolt face
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Took it to a LDS today who is VERY knowledgeable on the M1 family and he stated "This has NEVER been shot" and "$1500 cash right now for it"

I said not just no, but HELL NO!

I might have to get just a little more for it than that.

THANK YOU EXPERTS! Im going to get a paper trail done and see what I can find out.

Very doudbtful, post a clear ,close up pic of the end of the bolt face. Where the brass and primer  sets against the bolt
If its a truely original NM Garand the guy was cheating you big tiem with a $1500 offer

He used a bore diameter guage on it. The gauge went to the first mark. Which means probably test fired only, MAYBE fired a couple of times ther than that. I'll see if I have a picture of the bolt face

It definitely has been shot.  Also, the receiver looks to be refinished.  Also,  you will need to get the aceptance stamp verified. It looks fishy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:48:13 AM EDT
[#22]
I went over to the thread on the CMP Forums, it looks like you do have a NM Rifle, now just to find out if it is a rare DCM NM Type 1 or not.  Great find.  Always fun to see these threads, and the history of these rifles.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Type 2 NM. Worth 3x-4x what you paid for it. Duff just sold one for over $5k. Nice rifle. Congrats.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:10:44 AM EDT
[#24]
 DAMN!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Shameless bump for huge update in OP!!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Very nice rifle OP.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:30:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Thank you!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:51:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Looks like a beauty!

Good "shooter" garands with mis-matched parts are $600-$700.  If that thing is all matching and as good as it looks in the picture probably worth $1000+.   Being post war hurts it a little, since the earlier rifles seem to be what is all the craze these days, but say you have you a nice piece there for sure!
View Quote

You are WAY  low.  A CMP Special where the only thing original is $995. This is a National Match. At least twice that.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:08:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You are WAY  low.  A CMP Special where the only thing original is $995. This is a National Match. At least twice that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like a beauty!

Good "shooter" garands with mis-matched parts are $600-$700.  If that thing is all matching and as good as it looks in the picture probably worth $1000+.   Being post war hurts it a little, since the earlier rifles seem to be what is all the craze these days, but say you have you a nice piece there for sure!

Thanks. I'm still waiting on ANYONE on the CMP forums to chime in. There's seems to be no way to edit the title to show an update....???
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#30]

You have a wonderful rifle.   I'm jealous
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#31]
The only thing on your rifle that doesn't meet the "National Match" criteria is the rear sight aperture. NM rifles have a hooded rear aperture that gets rotated 180 degrees to gain or remove 1/2 moa. The peep hole on NM rear apertures comes in two sizes and are marked .520 or .595.

Your rifle has the floated gas system, NM operating rod, some glass bedding. See if the trigger feels light to you, NM rifles were set around 4.5 to 5.5 lbs. Unless the trigger group was replaced that could be a NM tuned part as well.

NM rifles are the most highly sought after M1 Garands and you are very fortunate to have received one. It could have been match conditioned and failed to shoot to standards and therefore the rear sight was cannibalized. Normally better than average rifles were selected for this treatment, not all of them made the grade. Regardless of it's heritage it had enough promise to be selected for this upgrade.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The only thing on your rifle that doesn't meet the "National Match" criteria is the rear sight aperture. NM rifles have a hooded rear aperture that gets rotated 180 degrees to gain or remove 1/2 moa. The peep hole on NM rear apertures comes in two sizes and are marked .520 or .595.

Your rifle has the floated gas system, NM operating rod, some glass bedding. See if the trigger feels light to you, NM rifles were set around 4.5 to 5.5 lbs. Unless the trigger group was replaced that could be a NM tuned part as well.

NM rifles are the most highly sought after M1 Garands and you are very fortunate to have received one. It could have been match conditioned and failed to shoot to standards and therefore the rear sight was cannibalized. Normally better than average rifles were selected for this treatment, not all of them made the grade. Regardless of it's heritage it had enough promise to be selected for this upgrade.
View Quote

Per this page/article ( I have NO IDEA if this guy knows his shit) Link, the rifle is a Type 2. It says something about the rear sight aperture being changed in 62? Ive had numerous comments about this rifle being 1960.... SO I dont know if that changes things
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#33]
It appears that it is definitely a type 2.

$$$$$$$
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Damn Spanky!!!  That's one hell of a nice find there!
That's gotta make you feel good.  Sweet when that happens!!
I am green with envy  
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Damn Spanky!!!  That's one hell of a nice find there!
That's gotta make you feel good.  Sweet when that happens!!
I am green with envy  
View Quote

Yeah no kidding. One guy on CMP said upwards of $5-$6000 so I'm pretty stoked!
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:33:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like a beauty!

My post was way before he found out he had a NM rifle, hence the $1000 estimate for a CMP special.   Clearly he has a much more "Special" rifle than that given the additional information we have now.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:58:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

My post was way before he found out he had a NM rifle, hence the $1000 estimate for a CMP special.   Clearly he has a much more "Special" rifle than that given the additional information we have now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like a beauty!

yep. No harm, no foul.

I did not indicate that I had updated the thread upon his response, so its not problem.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:30:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Sold for $3000
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:19:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sold for $3000
View Quote

Gonna flip it into 4 new Garands ?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:22:22 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sold for $3000

You got 4 garands for sale? Lol

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:43:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sold for $3000

Negative, but CMP does at least for now.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:35:56 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sold for $3000

But that would be awesome. I shall consider it.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:55:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Sold for $3000
View Quote

To someone on the CMP forum?? Lucky  dog.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:50:50 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sold for $3000

Actually no. There was something up with posting ads on the cmp forums. I sold it to a local guy with a taste for badass guns.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top