Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2014 8:36:49 PM EDT

I originally ordered a Springfield Armory Service Grade from CMP, But the Springfield's Sold out before mine shipped, so they offered me a replacement from some limited rifles they had set aside.

Since I wanted a WWII Serial Number and I was not guaranteed to get one with the Springfield or HRA, I choose the Winchester M1 because they were all WWII and a bit more rare.

Well It Arrived just in time before the Snow storm..

A September 1943 Winchester Repeating Arms (WRA) Walnut Stock with a Rock Island Arsenal rebuild in 1955 and replaced the Barrel with a Springfield. So there is a good chance this Rifle was used both in WWII and Korea.

There are three distinct markings on the stock. The first on the pistol grip was an O. This is a proofer's mark I believe, and next to it is a Springfield Armory mark of a crossed cannons

The second mark is an RIA-EB mark. This is the rebuild mark for the Rock Island Armory.

The "EB" marking represents Elmer Milton Bjerke. He went to work at Rock Island Arsenal on February 20, 1939 as a classified laborer assembling small arms. In September of 1940 he was promoted to Shop Inspector under the supervision of Frank Krack ("FK"). During WWII, Bjerke was one of many inspectors working at RIA. On January 6, 1947 Bjerke became Foreman of Small Arms Inspection and his "EB" cartouche began to be used. He held this position until 1958. Therefore, the "EB" marking indicates that the weapon was overhauled at Rock Island between 1947 and 1958.]

I sent the paperwork in first of December and received it February 13 not bad

Link Posted: 2/19/2014 12:59:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm jealous.

Ray
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 6:57:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice Score.  I have to ask, what bayonet you have attached to it?  Is it a wartime bayonet?
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice looking WRA.

The stock is Springfield, small ord wheel stamp on bottom of grip is a WW2 SA thing. The O ...Greeks like to stamp odd letters there too.

If the barrel is a new SA 1-55 or 2-55 it is most likely installed by cmp so double check the headspace and cross your fingers they indexed it right.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nice looking WRA.

The stock is Springfield, small ord wheel stamp on bottom of grip is a WW2 SA thing. The O ...Greeks like to stamp odd letters there too.

If the barrel is a new SA 1-55 or 2-55 it is most likely installed by cmp so double check the headspace and cross your fingers they indexed it right.
View Quote
It's actually a Springfield Arsenal rebuild, December 1964

Yes it's a 2 55

Link Posted: 2/20/2014 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#5]
If the P isn't punched on the barrel.... that is a CMP installed 2-55 BBL.  Take it out and shoot it... if you can zero the rifle for windage with the front sight and with the rear centered you should be good ..if the front is all the way to one side and you still need rear windage send it back and have them fix it .....they are really good about making things right.

The rebuild mark on recvr doesn't mean that this was the bbl on that recvr in 1964 out of rebuild !  SA 63-64-65 rebuilds if they got a new bbl for the most part got a 1960's SA replacement bbl.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 6:35:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If the P isn't punched on the barrel.... that is a CMP installed 2-55 BBL.  Take it out and shoot it... if you can zero the rifle for windage with the front sight and with the rear centered you should be good ..if the front is all the way to one side and you still need rear windage send it back and have them fix it .....they are really good about making things right.
The rebuild mark on recvr doesn't mean that this was the bbl on that recvr in 1964 out of rebuild !  SA 63-64-65 rebuilds if they got a new bbl for the most part got a 1960's SA replacement bbl.
View Quote
Sorry to ask but what do you mean by the "P" being punched on the barrel?

I took it out today and shot it, dead on Front / rear sites center. 8 round Clip

Link Posted: 2/20/2014 7:10:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Also what does the head space have to do with the indexing?

I am confused,  
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Also what does the head space have to do with the indexing?    

View Quote

Nothing.

Looks like you are good to go.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#9]
well I have had a chance to put a good number of rounds through the M1 and I must say it is my favorite rifle..

here is my collection

Top -

German Mauser K98 1942 (russian Capture)

M1 Garand (Winchester 1943)

Mosin Nagant 91-30 1943 DDR

Sino-Soviet 1956 SKS

Smith & Wesson M&P 15 ( Patriot Series)

M16 (5.56 lower, ATI .22 Upper)

Ruger SR9

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Nice Score.  I have to ask, what bayonet you have attached to it?  Is it a wartime bayonet?
View Quote
that one is not a WWII bayonet its a Korean war era, I just picked up a 1943 bayonet and scabbard that is correct for the rifle.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:11:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I got wood
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 11:27:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Very nice I can't wait for my CMP garand to arrive.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Nice. The WRA rear sight assembly is worth almost as much as you paid for the gun.
View Quote
I really like the old Lock bar setup, not as easy to adjust but looks great.

The Trigger group looks good as well,

Unfortunately the Barrel, Op Rod, Gas Calendar, Stock and some internal parts are not WRA but for what I paid for It, I can't complain.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:33:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I picked up a WRA Barrel a few weeks ago Muzzle = 1 Throat = 2 but returned, because, well you'll see

Looks like a ceremonial Rifle barrel that was welded at some point

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 3:46:58 AM EDT
[#16]
The luck of the draw.  I'd say you has it.

Sweet little rifle--and you don't ever have to feel bad about shooting it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:29:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Nice score!
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:33:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#19]
That is beautiful! Man, I'm jelly. They hooked you up! Wish I could have got a WWII M1. So late to the game.

They only had HRA when I ordered in March and it took a month to deliver. Tag reads 10/15/13. Most expensive gun I ever bought!

Nice collection too!

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
its still a good, un-chromed, long pad WRA barrel. You should have kept it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I picked up a WRA Barrel a few weeks ago Muzzle = 1 Throat = 2 but returned, because, well you'll see

Looks like a ceremonial Rifle barrel that was welded at some point

its still a good, un-chromed, long pad WRA barrel. You should have kept it.

it was 300.00 Plus my Barrel so about 550.00 I thought that was a bit much for possibly a unreliable or dangerous barrel. A friend (gun smith) said he would not shoot the gun with that barrel unless it was thoroughly tested.  

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:38:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

That's not that bad of a price for that barrel, even if it's not a shooter. I've shot more than a few removed drill barrels without problem. I like WRAs, the 4 on the right are WRA, top a WIN-13.

http://www.adcofirearms.com/junkpics/4wins.jpg

If you wanna see rare, how about a MK2 MOD 0 build from a WIN-13. Other than the stock as gas cylinder assembly, it's all original.

http://www.adcofirearms.com/junkpics/mk2mod0win13.jpg
View Quote

that is absolutely gorgeous..

Very nice collection

My WRA is missing too much to worry about it being a collector.

Need

gas cylinder

op rod

stock w/metal except butt plate

barrel

and some internal parts

so too costly to get there..

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Very nice, I spotted the open arrowed rear sight right away, very nice bonus they gave your with that.    Nice rifle over all.

I had a WRA I got about 4 years ago now i guess from the last big batch of greek rifles, that was a replacement.  First one shot like crap and I discovered my barrel was brazed in place.  It was a WRA receiver with a SA replacement barrel.  Apparently the WRA was one of their off spec ones.  It looked like a greek armorer couldn't get the replacement barrel to draw tight at index so the indexed it and brazed it.     It shot like rubbish.  CMP hooked me up on the replacement, I got a better looking replacement with a 65 series barrel and some nice WRA parts and a SA lock bar sight set.  I was quite happy and that rifle is a tack driver.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I took a few more pictures outside in natural light

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Really nice score.  I am surprised that it went through a rebuild, and the lockbars are still on it.  Wonder if the sights were bad on the rifle during CMP inspection, and they dropped those in.   I have lockbars on both of my 1943s, I love em.  Paid a pretty penny for them too.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:39:43 AM EDT
[#26]
CMP is shipping some curious service-grade rifles--it is almost like they are reaching into crates of set-asides.  A guy I know got a six digit Spiingfiled (600K) with a barrel with a MW of 1.  The finish looked original.  Needless to say he was pleased.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:59:00 AM EDT
[#27]
You never know what they might do especially when making things right on a hiccup.

My replacement WRA was built for me by a CMP armorer.  The guy called me on my cell phone to let me know that he inspected the returned rifle, saw the brazed on barrel and went and built me one on a WRA receiver as they were out of ready to ship WRAs.  He put the lockbars on but I can't remember if he told me that on the phone or if it was a surprise.  He did tell me I'd be quite happy with the accuracy as he barreled it and cut the headspace.  It is a shooter.   Raise a glass to Phil New at CMP!
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:01:54 AM EDT
[#28]
I can't see why anyone would buy from anywhere but the CMP, unless of course and until they run out entirely.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 1:53:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I can't see why anyone would buy from anywhere but the CMP, unless of course and until they run out entirely.
View Quote
That will be a very sad day.  Was sorry to see the Carbines go, I was fortunate to get in before they were gone, and got one and a barreled receiver to build another.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Very nice rifle.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:44:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That will be a very sad day.  Was sorry to see the Carbines go, I was fortunate to get in before they were gone, and got one and a barreled receiver to build another.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotta end sometime, after all the were only slightly over 6m of them built.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top