Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2017 11:39:14 AM EDT
Hey all, for the life of me I cannot find anything on what's allowed in regards to a SBR in Illinois. All I'm aware of is a 14.5" pinned and welded totalling 16"? Either way, I could eventually see myself wanting to do some sort of SBR build or snatching up something like a DD M4A1 or MK18. Thoughts? Thanks dudes.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:23:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, a 14.5 pin weld to 16" is not an SBR, but since I have friends in IL with SBR's I can tell you they are, or at least were legal. If I remember right I want to say getting suppressors in IL is where it gets tricky, but don't quote me on that.

@SecretSquirell
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:37:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I do believe they are legal, yes. I've seen some posts with the list of hoops to jump through and it's quite extensive lol. I think the way I interpreted it was a 14.5" barrel with a pinned and welded flash hider bringing total length to 16". But yeah that's being trivial seeing as how 16" isn't by any means a SBR as you mentioned.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:25:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Absolutely legal here. Gotta start with getting your C&R FFL first. The rest that follows is the traditional Form 1/3 bs.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 6:48:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I know I could look it up but could you explain the C&R? I've heard it has many steps?
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a thread in the IL Hometown forum that goes over the specifics I believe:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_23/509091_How-to-obtain-a-SBR-in-the-land-of-corruption----.html

After you do the IL state level requirements, here is a guide to doing the ATF NFA paperwork:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_17/465636_Work-In-Progress--new-F1-F4-guide-for-41F-submissions.html
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know I could look it up but could you explain the C&R? I've heard it has many steps?
View Quote
Not really that difficult. IIRC all I had to do was get my CLEO to sign off and then send in the application with a check ($30 I think) and got it back about 3 weeks later. The links that Dman put up is where I got all my info.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 1:42:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Not really that difficult. IIRC all I had to do was get my CLEO to sign off and then send in the application with a check ($30 I think) and got it back about 3 weeks later. The links that Dman put up is where I got all my info.
View Quote
CLEO is notified but does not sign off for a C&R.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

CLEO is notified but does not sign off for a C&R.
View Quote
When I did mine, I swear I had to have her sign it. Been a minute since I've done mine though.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the help thus far guys. As I've mentioned, I'm eyeballing the DD MK18. Thing looks legit
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for the help thus far guys. As I've mentioned, I'm eyeballing the DD MK18. Thing looks legit
View Quote

Stick your head over in the Mk18/CQBR thread and do some parts searching. Folks have been able to build and upper by going with the stripped Mk18 upper from Brownells and Colt BCG parts from Gun Broker and the like for far cheaper than you can buy the entire upper from DD. Plus, the stripped one doesn't have the gay laser engraving like the complete one does, but you should really Krylon the whole thing anyway.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:01:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm a bit confused about how a C & R FFL pertains to a SBR rifle though. Does it not pertain to collection firearms at least 50 years old?
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:54:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm a bit confused about how a C & R FFL pertains to a SBR rifle though. Does it not pertain to collection firearms at least 50 years old?
View Quote
Illinois...........nothing else needs be said.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:56:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's a unique case in IL.  You'd get a better explanation in the hometown forum, but I beleive it stems from an IL law that outlaws SBRs, but has an exemption if you have an FFL.  And since an C&R FFL is the cheapest/easiest/least hassle FFL option, most do that.  I may be wrong though, just what I'm vaguely recalling...
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 12:17:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's a unique case in IL.  You'd get a better explanation in the hometown forum, but I beleive it stems from an IL law that outlaws SBRs, but has an exemption if you have an FFL.  And since an C&R FFL is the cheapest/easiest/least hassle FFL option, most do that.  I may be wrong though, just what I'm vaguely recalling...
View Quote
It has to do with reenactment groups, though the language doesn't restrict them to being used only in/for reenactments.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 8:10:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Got ya, thanks again friends.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top