Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 22
Posted: 1/10/2013 6:28:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: battlehawk1025]
FIRST NOTE THIS INFORMATIVE ONLY!!! I am not responsible for anything thing!
This is a quick "how to". Not the most detailed posting in the world.

SBR= Short Barreled Rifle

I have had  many request for me to do a small quick  tutorial on how to get a SBR in IL.

To obtain an SBR on a form 1 on a trust. First you need a FOID.

A C&R FFL from the ATF,  this takes about 5 min to fill out and about 30 days to obtain one. FAQ about C&R FFL here

Next fill out your Form 1. I'm not going to explain this part because there are a ton info on blogs/ post on how to do this much better than what  I could produce. Google is your friend on this one.

Now the CLEO sign off.  I live in Crook county and there was no way in hell I was going to get a sign off. To be honest I live in Wilmette, I rather not draw attention to myself with trying to get a CLEO sign off So

I went with a trust. Many people ask me where i get my trust from. My brother has a place in WI. He and I have a trust set up in WI for a few years. We have  more NFA toys than "normal" firearms.

I basically copied it and a Lawyer friend of mine modified it to my individual needs. Please do not PM me asking for a copy of my trust as you will not get it. If you search a little you will find plenty of info on

NFA type trusts. Also please dont ask if i have any lawyer recommendations because I do not.

I did this on an AR-15.

MO
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Post questions here and I will try my best to get to them . PM me for my phone number
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#2]
looking for a Firearm N F A  trust lawyer in Lake or Mchenry co any ideas ???
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 8:44:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Couldnt find it in the FAQ..how much does it cost to get a c&r ffl?
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 8:58:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 1:20:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info, now to set up a trust since I have the C&R
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By billybob16:
looking for a Firearm N F A  trust lawyer in Lake or Mchenry co any ideas ???

Your guess is as good as mine
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 1:55:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Why do you need to set up a trust?
Originally Posted By skyhighsd:

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 2:30:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ypd260:
Why do you need to set up a trust?
Originally Posted By skyhighsd:

To get around getting a CLEO sign off.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 3:25:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D233] [#10]
Cliffs notes for the cliffs notes.

Get a FOID.
Get a C&R FFL
Get a trust.
Fill out a form 1.

Does everybody now have a complete understanding of how to do this?

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 4:15:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By D233:

Get a FOID.
Get a C&R FFL
Get a trust.
Fill out a form 1.

Same goes for a Form 4
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 10:33:40 AM EDT
[#12]
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5310-16.pdf

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5330-20.pdf

here are the forms for the c and r license
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 6:08:56 AM EDT
[#13]
You can only play with the NFA toys in WI though, correct?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By dwjett:
You can only play with the NFA toys in WI though, correct?

If you mean full auto and supressors, yes you can't have those in Illinois.  But you can have SBR's now in Illinois and use them here.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:38:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Please keep usupdated on progress. I'd not like to be the Guinea pig!!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 11:03:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I recived my stamp  a week ago.....
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By D233:

Get a FOID.
Get a C&R FFL
Get a trust.
Fill out a form 1.

I'm trying to get mine mailed off soon. I've read mixed reviews on weather or not I need to fill out a "certificate of compliance"
when sending in my form 1.  I already have my c&r, form 1, FOID and copy of the statute.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 10:57:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Is the CLEO for a curio FFL or the SBR itself?  Curious as to what the paperwork says.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 11:16:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone worrying about the requirement of being in a reenactment group?
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By MrRob944:
Anyone worrying about the requirement of being in a reenactment group?

read it more carefully. Its says OR....
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Gotcha. I read the 18 page thread and I think I've got it figured out. Time to send off for c&r.
Link Posted: 1/26/2013 4:31:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I live in Will county, but work in Cook County, and oddly enough I can get a Chief LEO to sign in Cook. How do I fill out my paper work accordingly. Im looking to have my C&R out of Cook County
Link Posted: 1/26/2013 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Depends on your town. I'm surrounded by idiots so I went the trust route. Plus I can have other people have access to my Nfa toys
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 4:41:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jntmjt1] [#24]
I sent in two Form 1s last week... (CLEO sign off).  I hope to report back late this Summer or early this Fall with an update and good news!  One is for a SBR AR15 and the other is for a SBR Uzi.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By kjspd126:

I live in Will county, but work in Cook County, and oddly enough I can get a Chief LEO to sign in Cook. How do I fill out my paper work accordingly. Im looking to have my C&R out of Cook County

is that verified that he will sign on Form 1?

I am in Cook and was going to get a trust set up as soon as C&R comes

Link Posted: 1/31/2013 9:08:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: armored223] [#26]
Anyone found a lawyer in IL for the NFA trust yet?
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 8:48:05 AM EDT
[#27]
I need some clarification.  Does a C&R FFL give the feds the right to enter my home at any time (as a FFL does)?  Also, as a C&R holder, what would be the status of my SBR if I am away and my wife (FOID holder) is home alone?  I ask this because I was instructed that my guns (or maybe my wife) are/is illeagal if I am away and she does not have a FOID.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#28]
No a CR does not grant ATF access to your home as they wish.  You do however have to keep a log like an FFL for the CR eligible firearms you buy or sell for your collection.

The way I understand it is you should set up a NFA revocable trust as described in the OP and put your wife and kids on it and you are covered.   But I also understand it as long as its in the safe and not accessible when  you are not around it is fine so long as she has a FOID which IL law says she must have if the guns are in the home and you are not.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#29]
My 5320.20 was (finally) approved on Jan 29, so those of us with SBR's out of state can move them into IL.  

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 6:23:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Krazny13:
My 5320.20 was (finally) approved on Jan 29, so those of us with SBR's out of state can move them into IL.  

Yea mine were approved the same days!  Something must have clicked at the ATF
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 2:45:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Did you guys do a NFA trust?  If so who did you use to do it?
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 9:57:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Krazny13] [#32]
Nope.  My toys are all individual route.  Then again, I was able to get the sheriff signoff when I was in IN.

Ahh, feels good to have my 11.5 inch shorty in my hands again.  After 3 years in exile, its nice to have my favorite 5.56 pulling HD Duty again.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 10:40:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Yea I brought 13 of my sbr home today!!  Will bring the rest next week. When the rest of my forms come back :)
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 3:41:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dawg180] [#34]
Originally Posted By armored223:

No, at least not one who is knowledgeable on firearms.  

My attorney is a great guy, but had zero knowledge on NFA and firearms.  He had no problem setting up a trust for me, but did not see how it made a difference.
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Has anyone done this in Central IL yet?  Can we get a CLEO sign off in Peoria County?
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 4:09:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: danish] [#36]
I am heading to the Stephenson county sheriff's office this week to get him to sign the C&R FFL and discuss the SBR with him.  I don't think it will be an issue to get him to sign off on the Form 1 since I know he is very pro-gun..
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#37]
So no one did theirs on a trust?  Do all members of the trust have to have a CR license?  Like my wife for example.

Did you submit a copy of your CR on the Form1? or anything other than what it asks for?

Torf...not sure buy im next door in Mclean and pretty sure he will sign but I want to put them in a trust for the benefits of it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 7:03:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Dawg180:

No, at least not one who is knowledgeable on firearms.  

My attorney is a great guy, but had zero knowledge on NFA and firearms.  He had no problem setting up a trust for me, but did not see how it made a difference.

So he said that he saw no difference in an nfa trust from a regular trust?  That what I'm seeing in looking over samples too.

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#39]
you only have to send him the c&r form for the sheriff or the chief of police.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#40]
No I mean does the CR license number or a copy of it need to be on the Form 1 or does the ATF not care whether you have a CR?
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#41]
No I mean does the CR license number or a copy of it need to be on the Form 1 or does the ATF not care whether you have a CR?

Make sure you you up ur C&R number on the Form 1/ 4. Mine got kicked back because it didnt have it on there.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 3:41:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: armored223] [#42]
battlehawk...who did your trust?   Getting no where calling around and reading so many negatives to the do it yourself trusts like this

http://www.doityourselfdocuments.com/Estateplanning/Trust/nfaTrust.aspx

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 3:48:56 PM EDT
[#43]
battlehawk...who did your trust?   Getting no where calling around and reading so many negatives to the do it yourself trusts like this

http://www.doityourselfdocuments.com/Estateplanning/Trust/nfaTrust.aspx

Mine is done from my brother's lawyer in Wisconsin . I had a lawyer friend modify it to meet IL law and  to my needs. He usually doesn't do trusts.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#44]
ok....I may get the one from the site I referenced above and see if a local lawyer will look it over for me.

Thank!
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#45]

I'm working on filling out my C&R today - For the CLEO, do I do the Chief of my town, county, or do we have to do State in Illinois because of the FOID and all that?

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 10:17:57 PM EDT
[#46]
My Mother lives in IN, I have no clue what a trust is. I was going to have her buy it and leave it to me. but if I can get a C&R and get a sbr I will go that route.
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Tango_6:
My Mother lives in IN, I have no clue what a trust is. I was going to have her buy it and leave it to me. but if I can get a C&R and get a sbr I will go that route.

I don't think that will work and is of questionable legality.
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 11:33:49 PM EDT
[#48]

You better know the laws before you go doing stuff like you are proposing, otherwise you are going to end up a felon and not have rights to any firearms at all.  You are basically proposing a Straw Purchase, and a purchase across state lines.  The feds do not look kindly upon either of those, and you are going to be in for a mighty shock if you try to put in SBR paperwork for that gun...

Link Posted: 2/22/2013 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#49]

very bad idea. like really bad.

do not do this, it will have very bad consequences,

especially if you are going to send in paperwork to the feds for a sbr.

Do you like prison?
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 9:08:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: armored223] [#50]
doubletap my bad...see next post
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top