http://www.micromark.com/
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/
http://www.wttool.com
http://www.enco.com
and of course

http://www.harborfreightusa.com

Link Posted: 1/3/2010 12:28:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Pacific Tool and Gauge - Dave Kiff is awesome.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 9:17:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Dont forget our own Equipment Exchange right here .

Some folks dont even know that we have a section for tools and such..........

old Equipment Exchange listings

and the NEW Equipment Exchange where you can advertise the services you offer too.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 12:10:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CS223] [#4]
Frank Mari is a great guy, I get all my Cat 40 collet toolholders from him

http://www.maritool.com

Curt Payne is excellent to deal with,

http://latheinserts.com/

he is a dealer for Toolmex which rebadges some Korloy products under the TMX label. Korloy makes some great inserts, some good positive rake stuff for manual machines.

http://www.toolmex.com/

If you need some import stuff, expendable tools, stuff to build fixtures out of Shars is pretty good, they sell on Ebay and often the ebay prices are better than the online store prices. Generally the same stuff as Enco but priced better. Enco is owned by MSC.

http://www.shars.com

Travers Tool has some stuff that MSC doesn't

http://www.travers.com

Oh and for all you folks with manual machines that run insert type tool holders and struggle with getting a good finish from carbide, (choosing the correct grade inserts is a topic worth it's own thread)  I can't say enough good things about Arthur Warner. They make HSS inserts for insert type tooling. Very little press is given to HSS because carbide dominates the marketplace. Problem is, carbide is intended to be used at surface speeds far greater than many manual machines can achieve and when you can make the numbers, the machine speed is often past the operators comfort factor. Most folks starting out are intimidated by grinding their own tools and go straight to carbide and struggle. You don't have to, buy the HSS inserts from AR Warner and you're set. I've seen many a thread on other boards by someone trying to thread a barrel at the slowest spindle speed, ~25RPM with a TNMC type carbide insert and getting ratty ass threads. The HSS insert solves the problem.

http://www.arwarnerco.com/

Link Posted: 1/6/2010 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I order most of my cutting tools from Productivity.

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Carbide Depot

I just found this place tonight while looking for a good price on inserts.  I was really, really, impressed with their prices on the ones I needed.

Ordered a bunch tonight, I'll let you guys know if any problems arise.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 9:46:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#7]
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By AeroE:

I've been hunting high and low for rectangular M-2 HSS blanks made in the US.  I'm going to call the local DoAll distributor tomorrow, and if I don't have luck there, I guess I'll buy some MoMax bits from MSC (Hecho en Mexico, I think), and maybe buy some Chinese and Indian made bits from MSC and KBC to try out.  KBC tools is close to work, so it's really convenient.

I talked to a machinist from Arkansas last week that is buying Chinese bits from Grizzly, and he thinks they are fine.  He's using them for building custom actions and rifles and they appear to be working okay for him.

FWIW - I just checked one of mine that's unground, though I don't know how old, and it says USA on it.

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 11:38:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Bump.  Good thread.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 9:53:23 PM EDT
[#10]
free bump... I think I want to get a vert. mill... want to be able to find this later....
need to search for the vertical mill recommendation thread I've seen once before.....
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 10:20:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RED_5:

need to search for the vertical mill recommendation thread I've seen once before.....
View Quote

That thread says Bridgeport.  

I guess ideally it'd say Integrex I-400, but that's kinda pricey.

Link Posted: 12/16/2015 1:46:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RED_5] [#12]
Originally Posted By Cole2534:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I only have 110/220v avail.. and my 2 car garage isn't big enough to support a Bridgeport

so one of the bench top (~) types will have to suffice..probably just as well as I don't plan on being in this house too much longer.

ETA: I think I'm going to put things on hold once again.
I found out they laid off two people at work yesterday (highest and lowest seniority)
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#13]

I only have 110/220v avail.. and my 2 car garage isn't big enough to support a Bridgeport

so one of the bench top (~) types will have to suffice..probably just as well as I don't plan on being in this house too much longer.

I found out they laid off two people at work yesterday (highest and lowest seniority)
View All Quotes

A Millrite is about 3/4 the size of a Bridgeport and about 6 feet tall depending on what motor is on it.  Lots of schools had them.
Mine was actually a little too low for me so it has a lift kit under it.  lol
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

240 V input VFD
It makes real 3-phase.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got good prices and good service from these guys:

KBC Tools & Machinery

And if you have a lathe, these guys have a great QC post
I got one for my mini lathe.. world of difference, for the better...

A2Z Corp
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 1:01:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RED_5] [#16]
FWIW: Enco is having a sale

Tick tock, don't miss your chance to beat the clock! Shop already-reduced prices, plus take up to 20% off* on orders of $149 or more!

20% OFF with promo code: 20MNS ends 12/21/15 at 11pm ET.
   15% OFF with promo code: 15TUS ends 12/22/15 at 11pm ET.
   10% OFF with promo code: 10WDS ends 12/23/15 at 11pm ET.

Don't wait! Log on to use-enco.com today! This offer ends 12/23/15.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#17]
another Enco promotion (usual disclaimers apply)

Get what you really want, and take an additional 20% off* with promo code: GIFTME. No minimum order requirement! No product exclusions!

To take advantage of this exclusive offer, be sure to enter promo code: GIFTME at checkout.

Hurry! This offer ends Wednesday, 12/30/15 at 11pm ET.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Aside from tooling supplier, what about cheap source of metal? I don't mean 80% lowers but just metal billets. Places like Onlinemetal sells aluminum billet like it was made out of gold.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By taiwanluthiers:
Aside from tooling supplier, what about cheap source of metal? I don't mean 80% lowers but just metal billets. Places like Onlinemetal sells aluminum billet like it was made out of gold.
View Quote

I don't have a source for AL yet, but all the steel I get is from local steel suppliers/fabricators.  

Couple places have their cull stuff on racks, usually sorted by type/material.. you just wander around till you find something you want and take it over to the scale where they'll give you a slip to take to the office.
other recyclers have piles you can sort through..usually the scraps from big operations.. if you're not too picky about knowing what the exact composition is, you can save a lot.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 4:02:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: us-kiwi] [#20]

Originally Posted By taiwanluthiers:

View Quote

Mcmaster has some stuff. Also a little spendy, and they have it in stock.

They have all kinds of stuff, in stock, ships today. Good people.

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I found some good deals on ebay for aluminum.   guy I bought stuff from is just down the road in CO Spgs
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#22]
A couple of scrap yards I visited only buy, not sell. I think they're intended for construction wastes and not from machining operations.

I'll have to wait for the spring semester to start, I can visit the university's machine shop to see if they got some scraps.

I did buy some aluminum scraps from ebay really cheap, but I think they are 5000 series aluminum because it gummed up really easily. A lot of them are only good as clamp blocks and stuff because they all got holes and stuff bored into it. Not sure what its original purpose for those metal was.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I found some good deals on ebay for aluminum.   guy I bought stuff from is just down the road in CO Spgs
View Quote

Is it this guy?  http://stores.ebay.com/Stoners-Tools-and-Raw-Materials?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

I just ordered some bar stock from them.........  They were on that shit, I got it way quicker than I expected.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:58:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By paul463:

Is it this guy?  http://stores.ebay.com/Stoners-Tools-and-Raw-Materials?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

I just ordered some bar stock from them.........  They were on that shit, I got it way quicker than I expected.
View All Quotes

that's the guy.  

On a good weather day, I just might have to go down and take a look in person
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Keep looking at different scrap yards. One near me also sells new metal. For a couple years they had big stacks of 3/8" plate in different sizes, up to 2'x6', all sold for scrap metal price. I made a lot of pistol targets!
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

I went down there today. nice guy. mainly a mail order company, but he'll sell ya stuff.

he's got Aluminum. lots of it.  I was impressed.

what length do you want?
what size / type do you want?

he's got it.. if its 8" or less in width/diameter.

I picked up an assortment of stuff, just browsing through his remnants... round, square, flat..  
he's got brass too.  I got enough to get a few project done and some stock to play with.
would go back again.
If you don't see it listed on ebay, give him a shoutout via message.. I got the impression he
would do what it takes..
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:45:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Enco savings code, today only

Enter Promo Code: TODAY | Offer Valid Until 1/25/16 at 11pm ET.
View Quote

choose wisely. as in my experience, 15-20% puts some of their stuff at 'normal' level with a lot of other places.
they do provide good customer service though..
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:14:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Another Enco sale...

Double Offer! 15% Off your order of $99 or more! Plus FREE UPS Ground Shipping on orders of $99 or More!

Use Both Promo Codes: SAVE15 and UPS15 | Valid Until 2/12/16 at 11pm ET!
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:17:06 AM EDT
[#29]
I have been going to the machine shop at my university to pick up some scraps... usually I can find some small aluminum blocks that could prove to be useful later...

I found Westbrooks Metal, their "drops" are dirt cheap, a lot cheaper than any online metal dealer. I think if I am ever going to do a billet lower I'll see if I can find drops approximately close to the right size...

But anyways today I think someone had a bad day in the university machine shop. Found a few broken end mill... 2 1" end mills (a 2 flute and a 4 flute) but unfortunately there's no way I can put a 1" end mill in my R8 collet without some weird adapter, however I did find a broken 1/2" end mill as well. The edges are dull but I was able to sharpen the 1/2" end mill and make it work. The big ones I am thinking maybe I could convert them into lathe tool bit or something... or if I can find a way to reduce its shank to 3/4" I can use that as well.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 5:21:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:47:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#31]
Don't miss this double offer: 25% off* plus free ground shipping* on all orders! Truck shipments too! No product exclusions! To take advantage of this double offer, use both promo codes: LPYR25 and LPYRFF prior to checkout.

Hurry, log on to use-enco.com today! Both offers expire 2/29/16 at 11pm ET!
View Quote

They do this just regularly enough for 99% of all my ordering needs.  Sign up for their emails.  25% off and free shipping puts them on the very competitive side of the market.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 7:59:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for the link to here. I guess I'll have to subscribe to the e-mail notices....
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 12:33:29 AM EDT
[#36]
I buy the "proto packs" from OnlineMetals.com when I make an order.  Some times you get junk, last time I got two 1"x12"x10" 6061 plates for $20.  That's $300 in Aluminum!
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 1:22:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 2:04:22 AM EDT
[#38]

link?

I went to their site and couldn't find "proto"
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Banger:

I buy the "proto packs" from OnlineMetals.com when I make an order.  Some times you get junk, last time I got two 1"x12"x10" 6061 plates for $20.  That's $300 in Aluminum!

link?

I went to their site and couldn't find "proto"
type "protobox" in the search field, they have options for most materials, you can also request certain sizes in the order instructions.

Link Posted: 3/11/2016 2:12:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 2:26:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 2:36:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 10:53:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 10:11:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RED_5] [#43]
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Banger:
View Quote

Nice find!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 1:09:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RED_5] [#45]
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 1:12:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 11:30:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RED_5] [#47]
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top