BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 3:06:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By laxman09:

I would like something with enough recording space to last 12 hours without writing over old material since I leave my vehicle in park/ride lots for work.
View Quote
You will probably have to turn the quality way down and go with as large of a card as you can to record 12 hours.  Do you know if your model has a motion detection option?  That might be the better way to go.  It runs all day but only records when it sees motion.  Not sure how well that feature works though.  

At 1080p I might get 5 hours of video before it starts to over write, that is on a 32GB card.  Some models of the blackvue support 128gb card.  If yours does you will need one of those to ensure 12 hours.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 3:19:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By SWIRE:
You will probably have to turn the quality way down and go with as large of a card as you can to record 12 hours.  Do you know if your model has a motion detection option?  That might be the better way to go.  It runs all day but only records when it sees motion.  Not sure how well that feature works though.  

At 1080p I might get 5 hours of video before it starts to over write, that is on a 32GB card.  Some models of the blackvue support 128gb card.  If yours does you will need one of those to ensure 12 hours.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SWIRE:

I would like something with enough recording space to last 12 hours without writing over old material since I leave my vehicle in park/ride lots for work.

It does support up to 128GB card. Im not sure if its motion activated or not for parking mode.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Didn't one of you do a blackvue 2 channel in a new Camaro?
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 1:26:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 5:42:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Was that you?
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:07:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#7]
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 1:06:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By rufusrufgut:
Was that you?
View Quote
No
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:28:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Kyoami:
they found him
View Quote
Good
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:42:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:11:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: louisianarebel] [#12]
Originally Posted By Kitulu:

What are you using for power? My current camera uses a mini-usb plug that I hardwired in...does the blackvue use the same, or a different power plug?
View Quote
I have one of these for accessories in my truck.
I cut the 12v plug it came with and hard wired. Its a round plug that goes into the camera.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:47:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Anyone pick up a Blackvue 650s-2CH on the last massdrop and get a shipping notification yet??
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:51:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I cut out this video to send to my city's traffic engineer to try (again) to narrow this street in my neighborhood.  This is from my A119 camera, but the original is much better than this clip that was cut and converted on my machine, and then again by youtube.  NSFW due to a mighty oath... from running with a camera for a couple years now, I've found I swear when viewing dumbasses, but seeing actual crashes I can control my tongue.

Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:16:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By mPisi:
I cut out this video to send to my city's traffic engineer to try (again) to narrow this street in my neighborhood.  This is from my A119 camera, but the original is much better than this clip that was cut and converted on my machine, and then again by youtube.  NSFW due to a mighty oath... from running with a camera for a couple years now, I've found I swear when viewing dumbasses, but seeing actual crashes I can control my tongue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YxCnYdFI3Q
View Quote
What good does narrowing the street do? 

You got passed.  No reason you should take it personal and decide to fuck up the streets for everybody else.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 1:54:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By kar98k:

You got passed.  No reason you should take it personal and decide to fuck up the streets for everybody else.
View All Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YxCnYdFI3Q

Near me we had a nice four lane street (two lanes each way) and now they've made it a two lane with turn lanes, not impressed.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I decided to upgrade from my G1W and bought one of the 1440p A119 cams.  Haven't installed it yet but I have high hopes. I like how compact it is.  Also has a built in spot for a CPL filter, which I also bought.  Should work pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By duhflushtech:
I decided to upgrade from my G1W and bought one of the 1440p A119 cams.  Haven't installed it yet but I have high hopes. I like how compact it is.  Also has a built in spot for a CPL filter, which I also bought.  Should work pretty good.
View Quote
I upgraded from the G1W to the A119 and it's been successful so far.  Much easier to use, and quick detach from the windshield mount when I take the card out.  Much less obvious than the bigger G1W.  One thing, being flush with the windshield, I can't get my sun shield in front of it when parking outside.  So it will get cooked more than the G1W.  We'll see how well it lasts the summer.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:58:01 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote
It's a neighborhood street, people walking, biking, and darting out.  In that environment the posted 30 MPH is arguably too high as it is [1], there no reason to be passing other people like you're on a 75 MPH rural two-lane.  This road has 40' of width, to allow two travel lanes with people parked on both sides (8' parking, 12' lane, 12' lane, 8' parking).  But few people park there since all the houses front on the side streets.  So the street "feels" very wide and people speed.  It's an unconscious choice for many to speed, there's just no side friction liked parked cars or street trees to make you pay attention.

When I say narrowing, there would still be two travel lanes.  But there would be curb extensions at each intersection to reduce the 40' of effective width to about 24'.  That narrowing makes drivers pay attention and will naturally slow them to around the 30 MPH speed limit.  The curb extensions also make the pedestrian crossing distances shorter, as well as providing valuable landscaping area.  Between the intersections, the street is still 40' of pavement so there's no loss of available parking.

If you're a driver, you will want to support these types of design that naturally encourage appropriate speeds in each area.  The alternative for neighborhood streets, for instance if you ask my neighbors, is to install a bunch of unwarranted 4-way stops or road humps.  These band-aids, especially the 4-way stops, are cheap and easy, but do not work (drivers speed up between them), just annoy the shit out of drivers, and give pedestrians a false sense of security.

Besides the safety aspects, I could go on for hours about the bad economics behind building all this pavement, and how its maintenance is bankrupting many towns.  But enough for now.

Curb extension examples:

[1] - Safety note on speeds in neighborhoods.  It's not a linear relationship to stopping distance or to injury/death rate in collisions.  Many towns are adopting residential speed limits of 25 or even 20 MPH in recognition of this fact.  However, speed limits by themselves do little.  

Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:54:24 AM EDT
[#20]

It's a neighborhood street, people walking, biking, and darting out.  In that environment the posted 30 MPH is arguably too high as it is [1], there no reason to be passing other people like you're on a 75 MPH rural two-lane.  This road has 40' of width, to allow two travel lanes with people parked on both sides (8' parking, 12' lane, 12' lane, 8' parking).  But few people park there since all the houses front on the side streets.  So the street "feels" very wide and people speed.  It's an unconscious choice for many to speed, there's just no side friction liked parked cars or street trees to make you pay attention.

When I say narrowing, there would still be two travel lanes.  But there would be curb extensions at each intersection to reduce the 40' of effective width to about 24'.  That narrowing makes drivers pay attention and will naturally slow them to around the 30 MPH speed limit.  The curb extensions also make the pedestrian crossing distances shorter, as well as providing valuable landscaping area.  Between the intersections, the street is still 40' of pavement so there's no loss of available parking.

If you're a driver, you will want to support these types of design that naturally encourage appropriate speeds in each area.  The alternative for neighborhood streets, for instance if you ask my neighbors, is to install a bunch of unwarranted 4-way stops or road humps.  These band-aids, especially the 4-way stops, are cheap and easy, but do not work (drivers speed up between them), just annoy the shit out of drivers, and give pedestrians a false sense of security.

Besides the safety aspects, I could go on for hours about the bad economics behind building all this pavement, and how its maintenance is bankrupting many towns.  But enough for now.

Curb extension examples:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/Landscaped_curb_extension.jpg

https://nacto.org/wp-content/themes/sink_nacto/views/design-guides/retrofit/urban-street-design-guide/images/gateway/carousel//unknown_unknown_2.jpg

[1] - Safety note on speeds in neighborhoods.  It's not a linear relationship to stopping distance or to injury/death rate in collisions.  Many towns are adopting residential speed limits of 25 or even 20 MPH in recognition of this fact.  However, speed limits by themselves do little.  
http://www.apass4u.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/stopping-distances1.jpg

http://kojects.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/urban-speed-limit.png
View Quote
That's some serious nanny state shit right there. Spend a bunch of money to influence people to behave.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:38:15 PM EDT
[#21]
As I look over the BlackVue site, I see there are some new models (at least compared to last time I looked). They have the 400 series, which appear to be some less expensive 1- or 2-channel offerings without built-in GPS or Wi-Fi. They have HD and Full HD like the 650 series but are considerably more affordable. 

Anyone have any experience with these? Are they the same lens quality as the 650's without the extra stuff?

https://www.blackvue.com/product-category/dashcams/?orderby=price
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:00:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By eastonj:
As I look over the BlackVue site, I see there are some new models (at least compared to last time I looked). They have the 400 series, which appear to be some less expensive 1- or 2-channel offerings without built-in GPS or Wi-Fi. They have HD and Full HD like the 650 series but are considerably more affordable. 

Anyone have any experience with these? Are they the same lens quality as the 650's without the extra stuff?

https://www.blackvue.com/product-category/dashcams/?orderby=price
View Quote
I have a 2 channel 430?  GPS, no wifi, HD.  Haven't pulled the memory card yet to check quality. I'll try to get it done in the next day or two.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:54:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sartorius] [#23]
When assholes collide! Yesterday, in Southern California (originally from Jalopnik and NBC Los Angeles). I snagged the video from the Jalopnik Facebook page and uploaded it to YouTube.

According to the article, this is a cell phone video, not a dashcam. Hence the poor quality. But, I think the videographer gets a couple of bonus points for not shooting vertical format. 

I do feel bad for the Cadillac EXT guy. According to the article, the biker is still at large. 

RoadRage Biker Nissan Caddy

ETA: Better quality footage from NBC. Not sure if there's a way to embed this.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Newhall-road-rage-motorcycle-multi-car-crash-430061183.html
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:54:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:35:28 AM EDT
[#25]
I had a log truck back into my 18 wheeler last week. Ill get the video uploaded over the weekend.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:47:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: THeGiant573] [#26]
@mPisi Do you want speed bumps because that is how you get speed bumps!
Looked like you were doing 15mph.  Maybe guy had to take a dump or run his wife to hospital. You never know why people are in a hurry just try and stay out of the way.
I saw no other traffic pedestrian or vehicle at the time of that film.

Good Pass.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:36:50 AM EDT
[#27]
I see that Massdrop once again has the BlackVue DR650GS 2 channel dashcam on sale for $259 with 3 days to go. 

BlackVue 650 on Massdrop

My question is this: If I don't want GPS and want 2 channels with Full HD in both channels, why not just buy two of the DR450 1 channel cameras and mount them front and rear? They're $125/each. 

Is there value in the 650 being able to save both camera streams on one micro SD card? If I got two of the DR450 with a 128GB card in each, I could record almost twice as long as the DR650. (I realize that the 720p rear camera records at a lower bitrate).

Just curious for opinions. For those with a 720p rear cam, is it sufficient? Can you read license plates of the car behind you?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:44:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:37:02 AM EDT
[#29]
I just ordered a BlackVue 450S from Newegg with some Paypal money I had sitting around. I'm going to try installing it temporarily in the rear window, just to get an idea of how well it picks up license plates. I'll have it in a Mazda 3, so relatively little distance from the camera to the end of the car. 

If not, are there any dash cameras on the market with a narrower field of view and a bit longer focal length? I understand why a wide FOV is a good idea, especially in the front window, but I think a longer lens in the rear window might serve a good purpose. Just musing. 

I'll post some video when I get the thing installed. 
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 2:22:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:10:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: duhflushtech] [#31]
I'm curious as to the rationale y'all have behind the rear cameras.  Trying to decide if I should get one.

I mean, if you get rear ended it's gonna be their fault anyway, so what good would a camera do on top of that?  If they claimed you brake checked  them or something, the front camera by itself would disprove that.  I don't live in a state with front license plates so it's unlikely to help with identification either.

Trying to decide if it's worth the hassle of buying and wiring a second camera.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:24:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: APPARITION] [#32]
I'm curious as to the rationale y'all have behind the rear cameras.  Trying to decide if I should get one.

I mean, if you get rear ended it's gonna be their fault anyway, so what good would a camera do on top of that?  If they claimed you brake checked  them or something, the front camera by itself would disprove that.  I don't live in a state with front license plates so it's unlikely to help with identification either.

View Quote
Minimal hassle on a blackvue 650.

I've seen accidents in my rearview so someday I'll catch another with my cameras. Also if you were to aggressively pass some a hole on a two lane on ramp that just cut you off, you can take pride in watching how small his vehicle is as you accelerate away.

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote
contrary to popular belief, being rear ended does not automatically mean it's their fault.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote
So if someone tries to break into my tonneau cover again, Ill have a nice pretty picture of the perp to bring to the police when I file a report.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#35]
I live in a state that does require front license plates. Of course, not everyone actually uses them (including me). But in the event of a crash, I'd still like all the footage I can get. 

In the late 90s, my wife and I were taking our 2 month old to her well child visit. A VW Jetta managed to spin out on a straight, dry freeway and this occurred right in front of us. The guy did a 360 in front of us while I was slamming on the brakes. I still smashed into the back of him and we both limped the cars to the side of the road. Because of several passing cars who stopped, the cops gave the guy the ticket rather than me. Because it looked like I'd rear-ended his car. 

This was long before the days of dash cams. I realize that a rear camera wouldn't have helped in this scenario. But it did emphasize to me the importance of having as much footage as reasonably possible. 

Daughter is now 19 and a sophomore in college on a tuition scholarship, so the crash doesn't seem to have affected her in a negative way. 
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Dan_Gray:
contrary to popular belief, being rear ended does not automatically mean it's their fault.
View Quote
I very, very rarely give a ticket to the vehicle that got rear ended.  It happens, but it's so rare I can probably count the number on one hand I've given over the last couple of years.  Usually it's because someone brake checked them or something similarly stupid the car in front did - and again, the front camera would show if you did something like that or not.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#37]

I very, very rarely give a ticket to the vehicle that got rear ended.  It happens, but it's so rare I can probably count the number on one hand I've given over the last couple of years.  Usually it's because someone brake checked them or something similarly stupid the car in front did - and again, the front camera would show if you did something like that or not.
View Quote
In the 2 trucking companies I've worked in the safety dept for,  we won over half the cases where we rear ended people.  Both companies lost almost 100% before we installed  various devices like Vorad.   I'll take more evidence any time i can get it. Lsst year I rear ended a Mustang so hard i knocked the stereo out of their dash.  Sent 4 people to the trauma center.   The driver got tickets,  i got a check.    Kinda left a strong impression about the value of evidence.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:29:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: APPARITION] [#38]
Well, I have another reason for a reverse camera.

Today I was minding my own business sitting at a stop light, light turns green and I go. A guy on the street to the right ignores his light and turned in front of me. I was on his ass for a bit and passed him as there were two lanes in my direction. He waved like sorry. I thought nothing more of it and positioned myself for the oncoming two lane to one reduction merge.

All of a sudden I have this guy beside me driving on the shoulder yelling about my driving because my daughter was in the car seat in the back. At that point I have no idea what's going on. He's ranting about having me on video changing lanes in the intersection, which I may have but I was clear and was avoiding a no stopper.

My problem is I had my shiny red sports car that I haven't installed my cameras in yet as I'm waiting on window tint first. I would have loved to look at the footage to see what exactly happened.

I don't recall speeding much if any but I do accelerate rapidly, no spinning wheels though. Had I had both cameras like my other vehicles I would maybe be able to understand what his deal was.

He proceeded to follow me through some neighborhoods while taking pictures of the back of my car and getting on the phone I assume calling the police. He finally gave up.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Has anyone here hardwired a Blackvue650S to their F150? Trying to figure out what fuses are best to tap for the power magic pro.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:39:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sartorius] [#41]
Here's a quick video from my new BlackVue DR450 1-channel, mounted in the rear window. When cars are close enough, you can read the front license plate. This is a Mazda 3, so the distance from the rear window to the back bumper is fairly small. Change your resolution to 1080p in Youtube. 

BlackVue DR450 in rear window

ETA: Even at 1080p, the Youtube compression makes it look a bit worse. The original file is moderately better. 
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Has anyone here hardwired a Blackvue650S to their F150? Trying to figure out what fuses are best to tap for the power magic pro.
View Quote
I did but I have no idea what I used. Any should work fine.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote
Any ignition-on source should work.  Radio, some 12V outlet fuses, power mirrors/seats/etc
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Anybody with a blackvue 650 had issues with their gps? When I view on the phone I never get the gps map anymore. Didn't think much of it but I talked my BIL into a couple of them and his is doing the same thing. It says our smart phones aren't connected to the internet.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 10:04:40 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote
I wired one into my 2008 Ford Edge. If the power going to the fuse block is anything like mine you are in for a headache. I wired the Power Magic Pro up according to the directions. I had the yellow BATT wire going to the parking lamp fuse, and the red ACC wire going to a fuse that was marked "customer accessory" in the manual. It seemed to work fine on initial testing in the driveway. I had it set to remain on when the car was off, and shut the camera down when the battery hits 12v, or after 6 hours, whichever happens first.

Next morning I went out to start the car, and the camera did not come back on. I had to power-cycle the PMP to get the camera to work. At this point, I also noticed that the PMP did not come on with the key if the switch is in the OFF position, which it is supposed to do if you want the camera to only be on when the car is on.

Last night, I moved the ACC wire to the radio fuse, and moved the BATT wire to a different fuse. (I don't recall which one of the top of my head) However, I still have the same issue. I am fairly certain that it is the BATT wire that is causing the issue. Well, more like hoping. After I get off work tonight, I am going to move that wire to the HORN fuse and see if that corrects the problem. If not, then I will have to get in there with a multimeter and figure out exactly which fuses are hot and which are not when the car is off and on.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 10:33:41 PM EDT
[#46]
I wired one into my 2008 Ford Edge. If the power going to the fuse block is anything like mine you are in for a headache. I wired the Power Magic Pro up according to the directions. I had the yellow BATT wire going to the parking lamp fuse, and the red ACC wire going to a fuse that was marked "customer accessory" in the manual. It seemed to work fine on initial testing in the driveway. I had it set to remain on when the car was off, and shut the camera down when the battery hits 12v, or after 6 hours, whichever happens first.

Next morning I went out to start the car, and the camera did not come back on. I had to power-cycle the PMP to get the camera to work. At this point, I also noticed that the PMP did not come on with the key if the switch is in the OFF position, which it is supposed to do if you want the camera to only be on when the car is on.

Last night, I moved the ACC wire to the radio fuse, and moved the BATT wire to a different fuse. (I don't recall which one of the top of my head) However, I still have the same issue. I am fairly certain that it is the BATT wire that is causing the issue. Well, more like hoping. After I get off work tonight, I am going to move that wire to the HORN fuse and see if that corrects the problem. If not, then I will have to get in there with a multimeter and figure out exactly which fuses are hot and which are not when the car is off and on.
View All Quotes

My BIL has a Titan and he ran into the problem that having his doors open during the install ran his battery down so much he had to drive his truck around before the power magic pro would work. Likely nothing to do with yours but he spent a day rewiring it before he figured it out.

You should be able to test the circuits by pulling the fuses and seeing when the affected circuit shuts off vs when it has power from the key.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By APPARITION:
My BIL has a Titan and he ran into the problem that having his doors open during the install ran his battery down so much he had to drive his truck around before the power magic pro would work. Likely nothing to do with yours but he spent a day rewiring it before he figured it out.

You should be able to test the circuits by pulling the fuses and seeing when the affected circuit shuts off vs when it has power from the key.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By APPARITION:

Well, I fixed it...thus far. I moved the AC wire to the "rear wiper logic" fuse. Now, with the PMP switch off, everything powers on and off with the key. I have not tested whether or not that fixed the issue with the switch being left on for parking mode and the camera not coming back on after 6 hours when the car is started, I will test that this weekend. I think the issue with the power was that the ACC wire has to be connected to something that is A) switched power from the ignition, and B) NOT on a delay and remain on after the car is shut off, like the lights and radio are.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 2:21:57 AM EDT
[#48]
My G1W-C  is starting to act up. Films fine, the buttons stopped responding, and I can't adjust the time any more.

I am willing to spend a bit more this time. What is good and reliable these days?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:03:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:51:43 AM EDT
[#50]
BlackVue DR650 2 channel is back on Massdrop for $279 with $259 possible.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/blackvue-dr650gw-2ch-car-dash-camera?mode=guest_open
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top