Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:09:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Changed] [#1]
I caught an accident on my dash cam. A red Dodge truck and a dark blue Dodge Magnum (I called it black on the video) had just passed me doing well over 80 in a 55 zone approaching the red light. The red truck rear ended the Magnum near the light. You can see the truck swerving all over the road trying to get around the Magnum, and then around 55 seconds into the video it hit the car just after the dark car (that passed me first) changes lanes behind them. You may need to full screen the video. Not very spectacular, but it's my first one. At least they didn't hit anyone sitting in traffic at the light.

Accident Aug52017 Camp Springs

(I apologize in advance for my poor taste in music :) )

eta- when it finishes processing, this is the 3 minutes leading up to the accident clip, starring the white truck, red truck, and blue Magnum.
https://youtu.be/EKz3HQzyFF8
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:57:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Andras:
I caught an accident on my dash cam. A red Dodge truck and a dark blue Dodge Magnum (I called it black on the video) had just passed me doing well over 80 in a 55 zone approaching the red light. The red truck rear ended the Magnum near the light. You can see the truck swerving all over the road trying to get around the Magnum, and then around 55 seconds into the video it hit the car just after the dark car (that passed me first) changes lanes behind them. You may need to full screen the video. Not very spectacular, but it's my first one. At least they didn't hit anyone sitting in traffic at the light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUjiQ-fjmK4

(I apologize in advance for my poor taste in music :) )
View Quote
1. Sweet soundtrack. Of Wolf and Man is a greatly underrated song off the Black Album. Especially good live!

2. Which dashcam model? I apologize if you've posted in the last 18 pages and I missed it.

3. YouTube compresses video pretty hard, even on HD settings. How clearly can you see road signs and license plates on the original footage?

Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:17:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Changed] [#3]
It was this
http://www.microcenter.com/product/444527/T18HD_720p_H264_24_LCD_Dashcam_with_G-Sensor

$40 off the shelf, reduced in price shortly after I got it to $20.
I have a 16gb memory chip, which gets me about 3 1/2 hours before it starts to write over previous files.
5 minute clips run 360-380megs.

Road signs are pretty easy to read, license plates, well you pretty much have to be right behind the other car.

I'm going to upload the 3 minutes prior to the start of the accident clip, so you can see how the white truck and the red Dodge and blue Magnum were driving.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:32:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the followup.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By bayoushooter:
BlackVue DR650 2 channel is back on Massdrop for $279 with $259 possible.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/blackvue-dr650gw-2ch-car-dash-camera?mode=guest_open
View Quote
Here's a polarizing filter for same
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:20:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ponger:
Here's a polarizing filter for same
View Quote
looks like a standard 24mm polarizing filter and a piece pvc with magnets to hold the filter in place

not sure it's worth $35 to me
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:41:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: duhflushtech] [#7]
Originally Posted By kar98k:
looks like a standard 24mm polarizing filter and a piece pvc with magnets to hold the filter in place

not sure it's worth $35 to me
View Quote
Every polarizing filter I've seen specifically designed for a particular dash cam has seemed really overpriced.  I guess it must be a matter of supply and demand since the production numbers must be low.

That said, I tried to "roll my own" with my old G1W and it didn't work very well.  When I bought a new dash cam I ended up just biting the bullet and paying for a CPL designed for it, and I do think it's worth it just to avoid the hassle of trying to make an off-the-shelf one work.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:10:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Changed] [#8]
I went and ordered a better dash cam. This one caught my eye on Amazon and had overwhelmingly positive reviews.

Seydi F1

2560x1080 @30fps maximum, 170* FoV. GPS built into the suction cup mount. Comes with a 32gb microSD and a CPL filter. The 12v power adapter has a USB port built in.  
Ordered it Sunday, got it today (Tuesday). GPS can give you speed and Lat/Long(turned off for now) and you can have date time and your car number plate on the display. It's smaller then the cheap one I had so it's almost completely hidden behind the mirror now.

a 5 minute clip runs 692mb, roughly 3 1/2 hours on the 32gb chip.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I got a new Dash Cam this week after my Mini 0805 started messing up. This time I went with the Volvo A119s and so far so good.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By APPARITION:
Anybody with a blackvue 650 had issues with their gps? When I view on the phone I never get the gps map anymore. Didn't think much of it but I talked my BIL into a couple of them and his is doing the same thing. It says our smart phones aren't connected to the internet.
View Quote
Your phone connects to one network at a time. When you have a wifi connection to the blackvue, it has the gps data but can't do anything with it since it can't pull maps simultaneously from the internet. If you download the video to your phone and disconnect from the blackvue, the phone should then restore an internet connection, whether cellular or wifi and can show the map while playing the video.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Arlis:
Your phone connects to one network at a time. When you have a wifi connection to the blackvue, it has the gps data but can't do anything with it since it can't pull maps simultaneously from the internet. If you download the video to your phone and disconnect from the blackvue, the phone should then restore an internet connection, whether cellular or wifi and can show the map while playing the video.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Arlis:
Originally Posted By APPARITION:
Anybody with a blackvue 650 had issues with their gps? When I view on the phone I never get the gps map anymore. Didn't think much of it but I talked my BIL into a couple of them and his is doing the same thing. It says our smart phones aren't connected to the internet.
That makes sense, looks like that's the ticket. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:08:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: K1rodeoboater] [#12]
Amazon Product
  • DUAL-LENS REARVIEW MIRROR DASH CAM: Sendow mirror dash cam has high resolution front camera with 150°wide angle lens+ 140 degree for weatherproof rearview camera
  • ENDLESS LOOP RECORDING: Sendow Car DVR recorder is made with loop recording system , which means it will keep endless recording without delete oldest file by yourself when the micro SD card becomes full (Note : SD Card is not include, At least Class 10.At most Support 32GB )
  • EMERGENCY LOCKING & MOTION DETECTION PARKING MODE: Built-In G- Sensor system will be activated when it detects a G-Force event like a impact or a sudden braking movements, and this video will be locked for safekeeping . With Parking Mode turned on, it will be automatically start recording when it detects any objects or creatures movement ,which make it a very good helper while you parking your vehicle

Picked this up as a lightening deal yesterday for $44.  Might be total crap as a dash cam, really I just wanted it for the backup camera.  Guess I'll find out when it arrives.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#13]
My truck was stolen and when I got it back, pretty much the only real damage was the dashcam (blackvue dr650 2ch) was gone. He yanked the wires and bent the connectors and since the coax connection is already very fragile I won't be reusing the cable. I will also try to conceal it much better and turn the sound off on the next one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:47:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:45:13 AM EDT
[#15]
As of today (09/19/17) what are the best brands to look into. I am not cheap but at the same time not looking to spend a fortune, Im looking the best image quality for the best price.

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:34:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By CrazyPollo:
As of today (09/19/17) what are the best brands to look into. I am not cheap but at the same time not looking to spend a fortune, Im looking the best image quality for the best price.

Any recommendations?
View Quote
Highly subjective, but for an entry level dash cam the A119 is hard to beat.  1440p, and under $100.

https://www.amazon.com/SpyTec-Version-GPS-G-Sensor-Recording/dp/B01HN0HBFG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1505813649&sr=8-3&keywords=A119

Just hardwire it in to your fusebox and you'll be set.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:53:18 PM EDT
[#17]
^ I have been happy with my A119, running it for 9 months now.  A vey good upgrade from the G1W-level ones.  I was worried about the A119 cooking in the summer, since it is directly on the windshield and I can't fit my solar screen between it and the sun (like you can with the G1W types).  But it appears to have survived the summer.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 8:34:04 AM EDT
[#18]
So what would you guys suggest for something that wasn't "entry level"? I would be willing to spend a couple/few Hundred bucks for peace of mind and definitely want the ability and view clarity to be able to record a license plate (what's the point if the guy gets away).
This tech would have definitely helped in a few different incidents over the years so I'm willing to spend the extra cash.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:15:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: duhflushtech] [#19]
Originally Posted By CapetownSavage:
So what would you guys suggest for something that wasn't "entry level"? I would be willing to spend a couple/few Hundred bucks for peace of mind and definitely want the ability and view clarity to be able to record a license plate (what's the point if the guy gets away).
This tech would have definitely helped in a few different incidents over the years so I'm willing to spend the extra cash.
View Quote
The thing is, as far as I'm aware the image quality doesn't really scale with the price tag, at least right now.  More money will get you a more streamlined user interface, add-ons like GPS, wifi, and Bluetooth, and things like dual camera setups.  The chipsets on most of these cameras are the same no matter what you buy.

1440p/30fps seems to be the mainstream standard at this time, and the only real difference between say $80 and $300 are the things I mentioned above.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 1:08:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By duhflushtech:
Highly subjective, but for an entry level dash cam the A119 is hard to beat.  1440p, and under $100.

https://www.amazon.com/SpyTec-Version-GPS-G-Sensor-Recording/dp/B01HN0HBFG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1505813649&sr=8-3&keywords=A119

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CrazyPollo:

Any recommendations?

I'm running one front and one back.  I'm very happy with the video and audio quality.  I also have the GPS module that works great.  I did get the get CPL filter.  For an entry level camera, it's hard to beat.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:07:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 1387Delta:

I'm running one front and one back.  I'm very happy with the video and audio quality.  I also have the GPS module that works great.  I did get the get CPL filter.  For an entry level camera, it's hard to beat.
View Quote
I still haven't bought the GPS module.  I don't want anyone to know how fast I drive.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#22]

I still haven't bought the GPS module.  I don't want anyone to know how fast I drive.  
View Quote
I found out that you can install the GPS module and if you don't want to use it, just plug the power cable directly into the camera.  It bypasses the GPS module but the GPS is there if you ever want to use it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:45:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OnlytheTip] [#23]
I bought this dash cam from amazon. It has GPS, and WIFI. I like being able to view it from my cell, and it hides nicely (almost completely) behind the rearview mirror, so I don't have to even see the thing. It includes 2 different angle mounts (the lens moves up and down), extra 3m adhesive tape, and cable holders for the GPS sensor (included). If you are on a budget and really want to try out a dashcam before you blow $300.00+, you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal @ $69.99 shipped + tax. I bought a second one to replace an older cam.

Not my video:

Link Posted: 10/1/2017 1:08:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Are there any cameras for which the data file(s) on the memory stick are encrypted?
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 2:15:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Not happy with the Asus dash cam I got.  It keeps rebooting.  Already tried different settings but no avail.

Costco got the Cobra model, which comes with front and rear cameras for approx.. $170.  Anyone using it?

It has GPS, HDR, records in 1080p hi-def, etc. and the display can be configured to show one or both cameras at the same time.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 1:51:01 AM EDT
[#26]
I'll be replacing mine. Called in a DUI and gave very exciting chase while on phone to 911. Speeds up to 30 or maybe even 35 miles an hour!

It was probably a half hour "chase" through construction zones where the driver couldn't escape and the police couldn't intercept.

The video was useless.

Here's the start of the "pursuit"

I'm at the light in the left turn lane, two lanes of oncoming traffic. They got bored waiting and just took off.

My front camera is dogshit.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:19:30 PM EDT
[#27]
This article came out just a couple of days ago.
http://www.techradar.com/news/the-10-best-dash-cams-you-can-buy-right-now
Some might find it helpful.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 7:40:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: igozumn] [#28]
I found out that you can install the GPS module and if you don't want to use it, just plug the power cable directly into the camera.  It bypasses the GPS module but the GPS is there if you ever want to use it.
View All Quotes

There have been some issues with A119 units having random and/or frequent restarts, mine included.  Updated the firmware as suggested, etc., with no results for my unit.  I had also read about it possibly being the connection between the GPS and the dashcam, and that if you plug the cord into the dashcam instead of the GPS, it "fixes" the restarts.  Which mine has so far.  It also backfeeds the GPS so that you still have that info available if you want it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:37:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Great info i this thread.

Thanks to all those who have contributed.

Question:
I don't have internet. (Out in the boones, not available and not paying for satellite)

Do most units require internet capabilities to update software etc?

Looking to pick up a unit to put in my wrangler from here on out.

Something with a simple camera out the front window, but can swivel towards the driver and passenger side if need be.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By iasc300ia:
Great info i this thread.

Thanks to all those who have contributed.

Question:
I don't have internet. (Out in the boones, not available and not paying for satellite)

Do most units require internet capabilities to update software etc?

Looking to pick up a unit to put in my wrangler from here on out.

Something with a simple camera out the front window, but can swivel towards the driver and passenger side if need be.
View Quote
Any device that needs to update software will need internet access to download it.  That's gonna be the same for any piece of electronics, whether it be a dash cam or a laptop or anything else.

That said, with most dash cams you won't need to download anything if you don't want to.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 11:05:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mindfull] [#31]
Thinking about going with this setup:
Falcon Zero Touch PRO HD Dash Cam
Sound like a good deal?

Reviews look promising
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought the Falcon Zero Touch PRO HD Dash Cam and some other items.

Should work alright
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I've gone through 2 G1Ws.  They both developed problems over a year.  Maybe that is all I should expect from a 50 dollar camera.

One keeps throwing corrupted files.  About every 3rd mov file is full size, but can't be opened with any application.  Rest are OK.

One won't record except for 3 minutes, then it stays on but stops recording.  Just started randomly.

Looking to replace them with one of the ones mentioned here.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Try a new data card. before you buy a new camera
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Falcon Zero Touch PRO HD Dash Cam came in today.

Pleasantly surprised  by the quality of it.

Looks like a iphone, and about the same size.

I got the pro so it came with two of everything so i can use it in both vehicles when i switch.

Video quality is excellent and sound is good when i hooked it up to the tv to check out some videos of a quick  drive around.

Very easy to set up and came with gps that tracks your speed, location and plots grid points to show where you drove, when and how long.

Overall i am happy with the purchase
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Macumazahn:
I've gone through 2 G1Ws.  They both developed problems over a year.  Maybe that is all I should expect from a 50 dollar camera.

One keeps throwing corrupted files.  About every 3rd mov file is full size, but can't be opened with any application.  Rest are OK.

One won't record except for 3 minutes, then it stays on but stops recording.  Just started randomly.

Looking to replace them with one of the ones mentioned here.
View Quote
Try going down to 1 minute (or the lowest setting).

Some cameras are finicky like that. One of mine is. (I crammed a 32 gb card in a 16gb card size camera, so I expected a few problems.)
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 9:25:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FAIL-SAFE] [#37]
Hey guys, I know I was in this thread way earlier, and I'm back with mo' questions.

I am about to start driving for Uber and Lyft.  I would like a dashcam for recording forward, but I also need a camera for recording the inside of the vehicle.  What are the reccomendations know-a-days?

Walmart is going to have 64gb SD cards on sale soon, so I thought I would pick up a few of them.

ETA:

What I am thinking about doing is buying a 1TB drive that I will use for Uber/Lyft and my own railroad job exclusively.  The forward facing cam I wouldnt care if it re-writes every hour or more.  The inward facing camera is important to indemnify myself of riders who may claim I was rude, racist, etc and will also provide evidence against claims of against me of assault, theft, etc.  I would like that to not rewrite, and I would download it to that 1TB drive nightly.  Perhaps having both of them not rewrite and download both nightly is best.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Remember that taco bell exec attacking the Uber driver? That driver had a Garmin one.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 10:42:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By FAIL-SAFE:
Hey guys, I know I was in this thread way earlier, and I'm back with mo' questions.

I am about to start driving for Uber and Lyft.  I would like a dashcam for recording forward, but I also need a camera for recording the inside of the vehicle.  What are the reccomendations know-a-days?

Walmart is going to have 64gb SD cards on sale soon, so I thought I would pick up a few of them.

ETA:

What I am thinking about doing is buying a 1TB drive that I will use for Uber/Lyft and my own railroad job exclusively.  The forward facing cam I wouldnt care if it re-writes every hour or more.  The inward facing camera is important to indemnify myself of riders who may claim I was rude, racist, etc and will also provide evidence against claims of against me of assault, theft, etc.  I would like that to not rewrite, and I would download it to that 1TB drive nightly.  Perhaps having both of them not rewrite and download both nightly is best.
View Quote
How about a Blackvue 650 2channel IR model? The second camera uses infrared and can be directed at the passenger compartment. 

https://www.blackvue.com/dr650s-2ch-ir/

Also, Blackvue is somewhat particular about the quality of the micro SD card. They even tell you to not use a Sandisk card because they may not support the sustained write speed required. For my BlackVue 450, I tried a 64GB Sandisk card because I had one laying around. Recording stopped and started all the time. Once I replaced it with a Blackvue micro SD card, it runs like a champ.

FWIW
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 10:32:33 PM EDT
[#41]
I recently picked up a Rexing V1P and have been able to get clear video from it, day and night from the front camera.  The rear camera is not as good but it came with it.  Ended up routing the cabling under the headliner gap and pillar plastics.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Sharing my camera capture. I've had a Spytec A119 for around a year. Wife saw this happen last week. My wife makes a point to check on people so she pulled over to check and offered the video if needed. We ended up providing the video to the lady in the red car to give to her insurance. The Bug was fine whereas the red car was totalled from that....And my daighter playing the "Slug bug game" just before the accident.

Link Posted: 11/23/2017 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#43]
In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I'm grateful for the sound editor who contributed to this video:

Link Posted: 11/23/2017 5:23:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 5:55:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

That.  Was.  Great!  
View Quote
I firmly believe that any video could be improved with audio from the A-Team, the Bandit or the Balladeer.

(child of the 80s here)
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 12:01:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Sartorius:
In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I'm grateful for the sound editor who contributed to this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_25xSV_Gzg
View Quote
That was awesome!

I had a front-row seat to a near demolition derby tonight on the way home from T-day dinner, a very nice 70 MPH pickup truck rollover.  While not as epic as a flying 18-wheeler, my video is better quality.  I will post once I see if the cops want a copy.  I am a crappy eyewitness.  I stopped with a bunch of people to help out, and once extracted via the sunroof the 3 guys in the truck tried to run away.  Fun times.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 12:02:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By mPisi:

That was awesome!

I had a front-row seat to a near demolition derby tonight on the way home from T-day dinner, a very nice 70 MPH pickup truck rollover.  While not as epic as a flying 18-wheeler, my video is better quality.  I will post once I see if the cops want a copy.  I am a crappy eyewitness.  I stopped with a bunch of people to help out, and once extracted via the sunroof the 3 guys in the truck tried to run away.  Fun times.
View Quote
Definitely post that up when you're able. What dashcam are you using?
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 6:04:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dog1] [#48]
Whelp...my screen died on my Rexing dash cam. Can't change any settings, can't do anything with it.

Yanked in out...might get another one in the future.

Not sure what I will get as a replacement.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 5:04:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Wow.  So the wrecks that have happened in front of me, and behind me, are starting to pile up.  There's been a bunch of close calls.

I'm liking that Blackforce camera mentioned earlier on this page, but its $320.  During Walmart's black friday sale, I bought 3 Sandisk premium, super whizbang, platinum whatever mini-SD cards.  They were normally like $60, but on sale for $14 each.  If the Blackforce wont use these, like a previous poster said, then I'm out on that particular model.

Would I be better off going with two Spytec A119s?  I could face one forward, obviously.  Would a second one work well, facing inboard from the dash, as a "cab cam" so to speak?
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By FAIL-SAFE:
Wow.  So the wrecks that have happened in front of me, and behind me, are starting to pile up.  There's been a bunch of close calls.

I'm liking that Blackforce camera mentioned earlier on this page, but its $320.  During Walmart's black friday sale, I bought 3 Sandisk premium, super whizbang, platinum whatever mini-SD cards.  They were normally like $60, but on sale for $14 each.  If the Blackforce wont use these, like a previous poster said, then I'm out on that particular model.

Would I be better off going with two Spytec A119s?  I could face one forward, obviously.  Would a second one work well, facing inboard from the dash, as a "cab cam" so to speak?
View Quote
I have both. I have a BlackVue in my Mazda3. It's got better software and probably slightly better picture. But it's very picky about the micro SD cards. Neither of my Sandisk Ultras will work in it.

I also have the older Spytec A118 in the cab of my 86 Chevy 3/4 ton. It's been in for over a year, through freezing Utah winter and 105 degree summer. It runs like a champ. It's cheap and basic and has never failed. It's the AK47 of the camera world.

I also have a couple of Blackbox G1W-C models. One died after a summer in the sun. The other one works fine. I hook it up in the GMC Acadia when we make road trips.
Page / 22
Top Top