Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2017 11:32:59 AM EDT
In the 20+ years that I've been an AUG owner, I've never once seen or heard of a broken or damaged bolt. In the AR sections, they are always talking about bolt life, durability, sheared lugs, cracked cam pin holes, damaged gas keys, etc., but I've never heard mention of similar issues with AUG bolts. Has anyone ever had any first hand experience with AUG bolt damage?  How many rounds is an AUG bolt rated to last?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I too would like to know
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I've not heard anything about broken bolt bodies, but extraction and ejection parts do wear down and can break. The green plastic guide inside the carrier can break too.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 4:11:18 PM EDT
[#3]
From HendersonDefense in the AR15 high round count thread:

Quoted:

No.. I love AUG's. We just had a bolt cam pin fail and somehow the bolt fell out of the magazine well and the firing pin ended up wedged between the left-side port well cover and trigger pack. It took a bit of time to extract it but it was stuck there in pretty good. Other than that, the gas block on the barrel will fail before the barrel itself does. We've lost a firing pin there and there or a bolt but nothing like the AR platform. They last double to triple life of a AR/M4 bolt.

They are great gun if you like bullpups and they just continue to run with little maintenance.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#4]
A guy a shoot with bout 2 AUGs back in the 80's. He eventually shot the barrel out of his primary and had to replace it as it wouldn't group anymore. He estimated that the rifle had seen more than 20,000 rounds.

He mentioned that he had broken a couple of firing pins and a bolt sleeve, and that was about it.

I did have a funny failure on my AUG. One of the barrel trunnion locking lugs broke off.

Steyr replaced the trunnion and it shoot just fine.

AJ
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top