Page / 2
Posted: 7/22/2016 4:05:31 PM EDT
PA-10 16" with Gemtech HVT

168 gr SMK HPBT over 42.5gr Varget; light crimp; CCI 200 large rifle primers

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:10:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, those look very over pressure.

What is your technique? Was every round hand weighed or did you use a powder measure? OAL? Doesn't look like the other cases there are over pressure.  Were you trimming the brass?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#2]
One of the overpressure looking rounds still has it's primer. Some serious ejector marks there.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Five things that come to mind:

1) Are you seating your bullets out far enough? Bullets seated too deeply in the case reduce case capacity and raise pressures.

2) Have you checked the length of your brass? Brass (necks) that are too long create a sort of pinch point at the end of the chamber when the cartridge is jammed into the chamber. My elderly father occasionally forgets to trim his brass and runs into hard bolt lifts and sticky extraction.

3) Probably a silly question, but you haven't enlarged the flashholes in your brass have you?

4) Incorrect headspace can show signs almost identical to those of high chamber pressure.

5) What type scale are you using? My digital scale does NOT work for trickling powder in and reacts very slowly. Had I not figured this out right away, I'd have had some seriously overloaded cartridges.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Somebody posted this excellent article regarding pressure the other day:

http://www.primalrights.com/articles/understanding-pressure
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Federal brass is also known to be very soft.  

I'm lucky to get 3-4 reloads from that brand.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Bad link?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Bad link?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bad link?

Edited, it should work now.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Bad link?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bad link?

odd. u click it and you get the error.  u google the same link and it takes you to the correct page.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Federal brass is also known to be very soft.  

I'm lucky to get 3-4 reloads from that brand.  

View Quote
I forgot whether it was Win or FC, but I suspected this.  Cases were sized and checked with a Wilson case gauge.  Sizing was set with a caliper and SAAMI chart.  The rounds fit in the mags with very little extra space, so they are not short.  I also use an aquarium pump for vibrating my Dillon powder measure and the base funnel is polished.  Cases are checked with a powder check die.  

Loads are toward the low end of the chart, so I don't think it is powder charge, even if it were the xtreme of +/- 0.4 gr, which I have tightened up to +/- 0.1 with a powder micrometer mod and the other things mentioned.  

Is is possible they are under charged and the primer isn't expanding when fired, or is that possible?  I didn't see any pierced primers or primer flow.

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:37:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't always believe that primers are an effective means of determining pressure.  However, with that said, any time you get to the point where the case head is being 'swaged' into the bolt face with enough thrust to start imprinting machine marks from the bolt face onto case heads, you've got EXTREME pressures.  The scuffed extractor marks are a big give away.  Not only are those 'too hot' they are dramatically over pressure.

I don't know what load is responsible for those cases, but I will say this:  It is dangerously over pressure for the gun.  You list Varget at 42.5 which should be safe.  But cases are telling a different story.  Something isn't kosher....

Maybe powder got mixed?    Maybe you made a mistake, misread the scale and used more than 42.5?  Perhaps there is an issue with the rifle?  I don't know, but those cases are over pressure.  Auto loaders  can be hard on brass, but the lip of brass at the extractor mark comes from the brass being thrust into the golf face way too hard.  The way that mark is formed makes me suspect your rifle is unlocking too early as well.  

Does this rifle mark any other load this way?  If all other loads are okay, including factory, your hand loads are fubar.  If other loads do this, its your rifle.

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I am pretty sure M80 ball does the same thing with the ejector impressions/extruding.

Pulling a couple now.  

Varget is the only stick powder I have, so unlikely mixed.

Pulled the first.  Definitely Varget.  42.3 measured with Dillon beam scale. Case measures 2.0160
Second one: 42.3 gr case length: 2.0110

These rounds had no signs out of my Remington 700 LTR.

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Gemtech HVT  back pressure, if its a supressore?. I didnt google it.    http://m.hornady.com/ammunition/superformance-in-gas-operated-firearms
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Gemtech HVT  back pressure, if its a supressore?. I didnt google it.    http://m.hornady.com/ammunition/superformance-in-gas-operated-firearms
View Quote
Interesting.  Any suggestions for an adjustable gas block?

I would have tried it without the can but my gun was turned into a club by a primer stuck in the works.  

I am pretty sure I tried these rounds before in this gun.  Maybe I didn't use the can......my memory is shot. No blown primers, but the ejector marks are familiar.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am pretty sure M80 ball does the same thing with the ejector impressions/extruding.  

Pulling a couple now.  

Pulled the first.  Definitely Varget.  42.3 measured with Dillon beam scale. Case measures 2.0160Second one: 42.3 gr case length: 2.0110

View Quote

With this information it's looking like the problem may be your rifle. Like the above post stated it may be over gassed.

Motor

ETA: NOW YOU MENTION A CAN !!! Cans can definitely raise gas port pressure.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Gas port pressure will not effect primers, cause ejector marks or otherwise raise pressures in the chamber.

My first guess is you used a cheap electronic scale to weigh charges.

Second guess is you has residual powder left in the hopper from a previous run (pistol powder?) and it ended up in a couple of cases.

42.5 grains of Varget with 168 grain SMK's is a moderate load in Federal brass and should never cause issues this violent.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I would have tried it without the can but my gun was turned into a club by a primer stuck in the works.  

I am pretty sure I tried these rounds before in this gun.  Maybe I didn't use the can......my memory is shot. No blown primers, but the ejector marks are familiar.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Only a suggestion on my part. I have no can.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:33:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Gas port pressure will not effect primers, cause ejector marks or otherwise raise pressures in the chamber.

Second guess is you has residual powder left in the hopper from a previous run (pistol powder?) and it ended up in a couple of cases.

42.5 grains of Varget with 168 grain SMK's is a moderate load in Federal brass and should never cause issues this violent.
View Quote

If pressure is higher than it is supposed to be while trying to eject, primers will pop out, ejector marks turn into gouges, and the back half of cases can become enlarged.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I've also seen similar high pressure signs on an AR that had tight headspace combined with a hot barrel and ammo heated by the sun.  

Is this a new rifle?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Pulling a couple now.  

Pulled the first.  Definitely Varget.  42.3 measured with Dillon beam scale. Case measures 2.0160Second one: 42.3 gr case length: 2.0110

View Quote

Bolt rifles can run much hotter loads than your typical .308 AR can handle.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:54:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Five things that come to mind:

1) Are you seating your bullets out far enough? Bullets seated too deeply in the case reduce case capacity and raise pressures.
View Quote

With pistols yes.  Rifles, no.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:24:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Rifle has had about 8 twenty round mags through it. Hopper is only used for .308 and Varget.  Scale is Dillon beam scale.

Rifle wasn't hot, first rounds through it.  It was early so rifle and ammo were not hot, nor in the sun.  

This was probably the second time the cases were reloaded.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:01:54 AM EDT
[#22]
My 308 will show ejector marks on pretty much any ammo (factory or reloads) and I even have an adjustable gas block.  I did my work ups and only time I was getting blown primers was when I used varget.  I only use 4064 now (only cause it preforms better for my rifle, but varget is my backup powder).  Most of my brass it's LC but I have about 100 commercial (mostly pmc) brass that I use for subsonic.  42.5 gr doesn't sound like it's really pushing the limit (I want to say my load is around 44gr). Then again, as I stated above, varget would give me blown primers regardless of the load, so I always went off extractor / ejector markings and primer flattening.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:44:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, but it could cause extraction before the brass has settle back to size from firing.

Some things to look at:
turn down the gas if you can.
what length gas system?
use different load.

Look at how superformance loads sometimes performs in gas guns. I realize it's varget you're using, but it's worth a look

http://www.hornady.com/ammunition/superformance-in-gas-operated-firearms

ETA: I run more than that in my loads and don't have issues, a little bit of primer cratering and flow into the ejector at around 90ish*F

Picture of GMX out of my gas gun, turning the gas down helped at little bit but never got it to run right... and ruined a Ti firing pin.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Did the OP anneal these cases?  I've seen case heads that looked like this on brass that was over-annealed - where the case head was heated and softened.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I have run into this exact problem using Varget and 168smk in a savage 10.  Some mid loads were making the bolt hard to turn and leaving extractor marks.  I chronoed the loads and they were hot.  2700fps IIRC.  I am 800 miles away from my data on the loads.  I will see if I can get the data sent to me.  I put that project aside for a while and haven't gotten back to it.  It was almost as if I had a really hot batch of Varget.  I still need to check the headspace in the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:24:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have run into this exact problem using Varget and 168smk in a savage 10.  Some mid loads were making the bolt hard to turn and leaving extractor marks.  I chronoed the loads and they were hot.  2700fps IIRC.  I am 800 miles away from my data on the loads.  I will see if I can get the data sent to me.  I put that project aside for a while and haven't gotten back to it.  It was almost as if I had a really hot batch of Varget.  I still need to check the headspace in the rifle.
View Quote

Really hot Varget or really thick cases.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ran into the problem with various manufacturer cases.  I pretty much narrowed it down to a powder or headspace issue....either that or my barrel is too tight causing high pressure, but it is retarded accurate.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Did the OP anneal these cases?  I've seen case heads that looked like this on brass that was over-annealed - where the case head was heated and softened.
View Quote
Not annealed.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Have you chronoed the load?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't own a chrono.

Flash holes are untouched.
These weren't swaged, but the primer pockets were hit with the Lyman case prep Multi tool to remove any possible crimp in the group.  

I ordered a SLR Sentry 7 gas block.

I will cull the FC cases and make another go at it when I have the new block installed.

I need to acquire some better brass.  What should I be looking for?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#31]
I would back that load off even with the new brass.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
PA-10 16" with Gemtech HVT

168 gr SMK HPBT over 42.5gr Varget; light crimp; CCI 200 large rifle primers

http://i63.tinypic.com/anyf7k.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/ir2gpj.jpg

Thoughts?
View Quote

r
Not CCI primers, look like Winchester to me.  CCI are silver not brass/gold colored.  BTW those rounds are WAY hot, back off bro.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If pressure is higher than it is supposed to be while trying to eject, primers will pop out, ejector marks turn into gouges, and the back half of cases can become enlarged.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. If your scale is accurate you are well below max. Crap brass doesn't help, but the best brass won't hold a primer when under pressure and the bolt is backing away from it.

Only other thing that comes to mind is headspace which will present about the same, but I'd fire sans can first.

Ejector marks my be exacerbated by a rough/sharp edge to the channel, seems pretty common these days from most makes.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I don't own a chrono.

Flash holes are untouched.
These weren't swaged, but the primer pockets were hit with the Lyman case prep Multi tool to remove any possible crimp in the group.  

I ordered a SLR Sentry 7 gas block.

I will cull the FC cases and make another go at it when I have the new block installed.

I need to acquire some better brass.  What should I be looking for?
View Quote

Winchester, Hornady Match, and Nosler brass have given me long life and decent accuracy.
But if buying once fired I suggest avoiding Hornady, could have been Superformance both boxes of which I've reloaded had marginal primer pockets first reload, trash after the second.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:42:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Chrony did not show up.  Amazon prime missed the boat.  I get another month extension on my prime.  Might be here Tuesday.

This past weekend, I skipped the range to put my 65 C10 together.

I have been contemplating my testing:

M80 in the Rem 700, then in the PA with gas off.

Next reloads in the Rem then the PA, gas off.

Reloads in the PA working the gas upward to allow cycling.

Then, put on the can with gas off.  Repeat.  

Chrony at first on both rifles.  

Sound legit?

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#36]
       Overgassed!

Baseline with Rem 700, then with PA10, SLR Sentry7 with gas off.  No bolt marks or pressure signs.  42.5gr 168gr smk rounds were clocking around 2550 fps on the Magnetospeed.  Added can and no signs.  Worked gas up to 4 clicks and the gun was cycling with no signs.  I had a couple cycle issues and set the gas to 5.  Went through a 20 round mag with no issues, no blown primers, no marks.  

PA10 with M80 ball was around 2690fps, 16" barrel.

M80 cycles with no can at a gas setting of 8 clicks.  

The SLR adjustable gas block is very nice.  The Magnetospeed sporter works very well.  Standard sensitivity with both barrels, Sensitivity Hi-2 with the can on.  

FWIW, M193 clocks 2820fps out of a suppressed 10.5" barrel.  I should have bought a chrony years ago.

I highlighted this because many readers seem to be missing it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 4:07:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 5:21:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Hornady was right.   http://www.hornady.com/ammunition/superformance-in-gas-operated-firearms

If the firearm and the ammunition are not in sync, there can be what is commonly identified as "pressure signs” on the cartridge case. This is exhibited by the movement/marring of the head of the cartridge case, cratered primers, flat primers, ripped or ruptured cartridge cases, "popped primers”, and/or any combination of these effects. If any of these "pressure signs” are apparent, stop firing immediately. If an adjustable gas system is installed, it is advisable to reduce the amount of gas flowing through the system by closing the gas port until the gun operates correctly.

View Quote

With the installation of an adjustable gas system, gas pressure can be metered to a point that enough gas is applied to open the bolt, but at a slower rate to allow the cartridge case to return to its original diameter prior to the movement of the bolt, and thus allow for proper extraction.

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 3:23:04 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Those cases are junk now.
Make certain you are reading the scale correctly.  Get your eyes level with the balance to eliminate parralax.
Get a caliper so you know the length of the loaded cartridges.
View Quote
Have calipers.  Engineer here.  Know how to read calipers and balance scale.  Also have Wilson case gauges.  

Right on the primers.  Older batch of Winchesters.  Current loads are all CCI 200.  Just upped my load to 44 grains of Varget.  Will test factory match ammo next time out to check for velocity and also to see if the barrel is accurate, with baseline on my 20" Remington 700LTR. Then compare to these loads.  I made 10 test rounds.  

Powder drops are very accurate with aquarium pump motor vibrating the powder measure.  I just tested a bunch of drops while setting up my powder check die.  

Why are the cases junk, just because they are Federal?  I filed off the flashing and they look fine.  I haven't sized them yet, maybe this afternoon.   I will try to load all Federal cases and if I blow a single primer, they all go int the trash and I buy new brass.

Thanks for the ideas, fellow loaders.  I honestly suspected a chamber issue, glad it was a simple fix.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Do a proper load work up just dont bump the powder charge.
Go look at Sierra Manual as they used Federal Brass with their load development.

Federal brass is NOTORIOUS for being soft ergo poor case life in the form of expanded primer pockets after being fired 2-3 times.

The idea brass would be find some IMI Match, in lieu of that get a hold of some M118 LR brass.  Not M80 brass, as it more likely has been fired in a sloppy chambered machine gun.  Whereas, in theory M118 would have been fired in bolt guns or precision gas guns, like DMR M14 or SASS
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#41]

Why are the cases junk, just because they are Federal?
View Quote

If the action was opening to soon, check for case separations starting.   As the brass stretches it may happen near the head or in the case body.  May look like a very thin shiny line.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#43]
42.5g Varget and 168 SMK is my best load in my AR10.  44gr was really hard on my milsurp brass but pretty effective on clay pidgeons at 600 yards.  There's higher than normal pressures in your barrel when the bolt is starting to rotate and cutting up your brass.  Varget is a bit slow burning and Federal brass has lots of comments about it being weak or soft so you are working against the way your rile was designed to work a little.

My answer was an adjustable gas block but turning down the gas makes it fail to operate with milsurp ammo until it gets turned back up.  You can also get a carrier weight that slows the bolt down a bit and reduces damage to the brass.  I got the carrier weight for my .223 match rifle and haven't used it on the .308 yet.  It was max loads with Varget that was damaging brass in the .223.

I am not experienced with suppressors but I thought I read they can increase pressures in a gas operated rifle.

Your 42.5 g Varget load does not seem excessive to me but you are getting the brass damage that I was getting with 44gr in different brass.

A heavier buffer system might do some good but I have not tried them.

The last time I checked a new bolt for me would be $200 or more so I don't want to wear out or break my bolt.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 9:31:17 PM EDT
[#44]
You need a combination of things.

Adjustable gas block (already addressed I see).

Possibly a heavier mainspring.

Possibly a heavier buffer.

What may work in a bolt gun can be wayyy too hot in an autoloader. I run on the mild side in my AR-10 and Adams Arms SF308.

LC brass will show pressure signs a solid 2 gr. below where Winchester commercial brass will all other variables being the same.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Before you put a lot of work into the cases, try seating a primer in one or two, the primer pockets are probably stretched too large to use again.

One of your earlier comments read as if you were not measuring the loaded cartridges.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make certain you are reading the scale correctly.  Get your eyes level with the balance to eliminate parralax.

Have calipers.  Engineer here.  Know how to read calipers and balance scale.  Also have Wilson case gauges.    

Right on the primers.  Older batch of Winchesters.  Current loads are all CCI 200.  Just upped my load to 44 grains of Varget.  Will test factory match ammo next time out to check for velocity and also to see if the barrel is accurate, with baseline on my 20" Remington 700LTR. Then compare to these loads.  I made 10 test rounds.  

Heading over to Sprinco site right now.

Powder drops are very accurate with aquarium pump motor vibrating the powder measure.  I just tested a bunch of drops while setting up my powder check die.  

Why are the cases junk, just because they are Federal?  I filed off the flashing and they look fine.  I haven't sized them yet, maybe this afternoon.   I will try to load all Federal cases and if I blow a single primer, they all go int the trash and I buy new brass.

Thanks for the ideas, fellow loaders.  I honestly suspected a chamber issue, glad it was a simple fix.  

Before you put a lot of work into the cases, try seating a primer in one or two, the primer pockets are probably stretched too large to use again.

One of your earlier comments read as if you were not measuring the loaded cartridges.

I have a Wilson case gauge and calipers.  How else could I set bullet depth?  I will check pockets later today.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Pulling a couple now.  

View Quote

And they shouldn't.  Based off of your charge that should be a fairly mild load.  I usually run about 44.0gr of Varget with 168's and 43.3 with 175's....and that's in 7.62 NATO brass not commercial.  That brass is flowing bad into the ejector plunger channel, regardless of Federal's soft brass.  I highly recommend not shooting the rifle any more until you get it checked out.  You likely have a headspace issue with that bolt/barrel or a barrel issue to be bumping the pressure up that high...regardless of suppressor or not.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 7:58:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

And they shouldn't.  Based off of your charge that should be a fairly mild load.  I usually run about 44.0gr of Varget with 168's and 43.3 with 175's....and that's in 7.62 NATO brass not commercial.  That brass is flowing bad into the ejector plunger channel, regardless of Federal's soft brass.  I highly recommend not shooting the rifle any more until you get it checked out.  You likely have a headspace issue with that bolt/barrel or a barrel issue to be bumping the pressure up that high...regardless of suppressor or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pulling a couple now.  

What are you shooting with?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:07:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I have a Wilson case gauge and calipers.  How else could I set bullet depth?  I will check pockets later today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heading over to Sprinco site right now.

What is the O.A.L. of the loaded rounds ?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:35:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pulling a couple now.  

M110, SCAR-17S, and a Sako TRG-22.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top