Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/29/2011 1:32:21 PM EDT
At first I saw all the threads about it and the impressive results and didn't know what to think.
So I sucked it up and bought a tumbler and SS media from Buffalo Arms.

I started with this 30-06 brass from a long time ago, all dusty, tarnished, and starting to corrode.

Here it is loaded in the tumbler with lemi shine and dawn, only 100 cases to see how it does.

With the brand new SS media poured in.

Added the hot water.

Plugged it in and walked away for 4 hours.

HOLY SH*T!!!   Can it really be that easy?? Yes it is!

Doesn't even look like the same brass!!! Its like Christmas when I took the lid off.

Well now I finally have a use for all this brass, been putting off tumbling it because it was so nasty.

Time to get the old M1 out of mothballs and see if she is hungry...
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 1:59:10 PM EDT
[#2]
You guys really need to quit posting pics like this because you are all guilty of tempting me to buy a new tumbler and media
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 2:07:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You guys really need to quit posting pics like this because you are all guilty of tempting me to buy a new tumbler and media

Do it!  I didn't believe it at first either but it works, and its so clean and easy.
I really wish I had known about this before I wasted all the money on walnut media.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, now we need to get the M1s out for sure!
I will get you some more brass soon, that's awesome!
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn you, damn you to hell.  The first thread I read about this seemed too good to be true.  Now because of you, I feel the need to spend more money.  Damn
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 2:30:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Damn you, damn you to hell.  The first thread I read about this seemed too good to be true.  Now because of you, I feel the need to spend more money.  Damn

Its stupid easy.
Like I said, If I could have started this years ago I would have been much better off.
Now I plan on buying another tumbler so I can double production, and I've only had this one for less than 12 hours.

It never ends...
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks nice.

How do you guys that wet tumble handle large quantities of brass? How many 223 can you do at a time?
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 3:04:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks nice.

How do you guys that wet tumble handle large quantities of brass? How many 223 can you do at a time?

I haven't tried .223 yet, but I have 200 30-06 cases in it right now and I'll post pics when they come out.

ETA- correct quantity.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Is there a solution to doing a lot of cases at once? I like to do big batches  Is the 15 lb'er as big as you can go?  And what is the capacity on it in terms of cases?  Say 9mm cases and 45, how many can you stuff in and still get a reasonable result?

Link Posted: 7/29/2011 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn you now you have me thinking of some way to come up with my own idea for one thanks alot.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I need to invest in this. Too many threads showing too many good results.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#14]
The biggest batch I tried so far came out great, about 300 200 30-06 cases.
What I figure is if it fits in a coffee can it will polish right up. (But it may vary by caliber)
First 100 in the bag, the next load is going into the oven to dry.
Time to see how it polishes a bullet in the next batch...

Link Posted: 7/29/2011 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Looks nice.

I looked up my "recipe" for .223 and the SS media.  SS media - 5#, 3 quarts of water - 6#, approximately 300 .223 brass - 4# and there is a pound or so leeway.  Anyways with a 4 hour tumble it works great.  You could increase the brass and reduce the SS media by 1/2 # to increase the amount of .223 brass tumbled by 50 or so but that's pushing it.

Link Posted: 7/29/2011 10:16:32 PM EDT
[#16]
3 tumbling cycles and 500 sparkly clean 30-06 cases, and I've only had the tumbler for 16 hours.
Now I know it can easily handle 200 cases at a time.

If anybody is sitting on the fence about ordering a wet SS tumbler, do it!

Link Posted: 7/30/2011 10:59:42 AM EDT
[#17]
It's gonna have to go on the list.  Because of some semi-recent firearms related splurges, I'm cut off from using any funds that she knows about.  I now look at my dry tumbled brass in complete disdain.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 11:32:24 AM EDT
[#18]
What is the minimum cost to get into this?

Anyone have links to SS media?

I can get my brass as shiny (not the inside), but it takes hours. Plus my tumbler makes 1/3rd of my back patio covered in dust.

The only thing that i keeping me from doing this is I hate waiting for brass to dry.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 11:38:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Just did my first batch after getting the Buffalo Arms order and cleaning/painting the interior of my fathers old Model B.  Other than finding my way of getting things separated after the tumble; I am loving this.

I have been very slow to get going.  In fact I have only loaded a few 9mm rounds in the couple years since I inherited my dads old Rock Chucker.  I though getting a vibratory tumbler would help speed things up and get me more into things.  But after my first round with the "dust" (even with dryer sheets) I kinda let things go.  Now after a 2 hour tumble and no dust and shiny brass...Couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What is the minimum cost to get into this?
If you looked around it might be cheaper, but I'm into my setup for $222.20 delivered.

Anyone have links to SS media?
This is the SS Media I ordered from buffalo since they had the Tumbler in stock.

I can get my brass as shiny (not the inside), but it takes hours. Plus my tumbler makes 1/3rd of my back patio covered in dust.
Same here, it took 6 hours of dry tumbling to get it semi-shiney and I was changing media like crazy becuase the brass was so nasty.

The only thing that i keeping me from doing this is I hate waiting for brass to dry.
That's not that bad, I'm now looking around for an old apartment oven to keep down in the basement just to dry with.
It only takes about 30 min to dry and its done. Honestly its a bigger pain to sift the media than to dry the cases.

Link Posted: 7/30/2011 1:33:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

the next load is going into the oven to dry.

Make sure you use low temps for drying, high temps may anneal the whole case and cause a KB.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 2:30:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Mine showed up on Tuesday, and I'm something like 4 - 5 batches in. Between this and the Giraud trimmer, I've completely lost any use for my RCBS Trimmate. I'm ok with this.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I am going to look into switching to wet when my tumbler dies
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I am going to look into switching to wet when my tumbler dies

Look sooner, and send that dust puppy to an early grave. You won't regret it.

Link Posted: 7/31/2011 12:18:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Working on my last batch of brass...all in one weekend.  Nothing like actually feeling like things are getting done...instead of 8 hours of dust!

I've been doing 2-2.5 hours for pistol and 3-3.5 for rifle and everything is looking good.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 1:15:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
the next load is going into the oven to dry.
Make sure you use low temps for drying, high temps may anneal the whole case and cause a KB.

Whatever the warm setting is on my oven, under 200 I know.
I shake them good when they are finally rinsed and towel dry them the best I can before dumping them onto a cookie sheet.
Usually leave them in the oven for 30-45 min to get things dry, less might do it but I'm not in a hurry.
I have inspected them afterward and they do not have any moisture in or on them.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 1:18:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Working on my last batch of brass...all in one weekend.  Nothing like actually feeling like things are getting done...instead of 8 hours of dust!

I've been doing 2-2.5 hours for pistol and 3-3.5 for rifle and everything is looking good.

I was checking the rifle brass after 3 hours and it was looking good, but didn't have the shine like if was able to go the full 4 hours.
After 2 hours of wet tumbling they look a dull gold color, similar to 3-4 hours in a dry tumbler.
After 4 hours of wet tumbling they look like 8 hours in a dry tumbler.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 1:51:10 PM EDT
[#28]

I'm a convert myself... Seriously, this stuff is good!
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 3:27:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was checking the rifle brass after 3 hours and it was looking good, but didn't have the shine like if was able to go the full 4 hours.
After 2 hours of wet tumbling they look a dull gold color, similar to 3-4 hours in a dry tumbler.

I will totally agree with you on this as I let my second batch of rifle brass go a little longer than the first.  But my overall application of this process was to get rid of the dust and skip the separate primer pocket cleaning step.  I'll settle for a little darker brass than most of the pictures on here; as this is still the easiest way to get things clean.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will totally agree with you on this as I let my second batch of rifle brass go a little longer than the first.  But my overall application of this process was to get rid of the dust and skip the separate primer pocket cleaning step.  I'll settle for a little darker brass than most of the pictures on here; as this is still the easiest way to get things clean.

I resize,  clean the primer pocket with a couple turns,  wet tumble for about 1.5 hours and the brass looks great.  

Wet is the way to go.  I used my dry vibrating tumbler once, then saw the light.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Some day I will do this
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#32]
All the pictures of brass have the primers already removed.  Are you guys cleaning the brass before resizing or only decapping?  How would it turn out if you left the primers in?
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 6:25:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
All the pictures of brass have the primers already removed.  Are you guys cleaning the brass before resizing or only decapping?  How would it turn out if you left the primers in?

i use an 11 dollar lee universal decaper and decap all before cleaning. if you don't decap the primer will hold water and you will get corrosion in the pockets also when you do decap and size you will get moisture on your press. learned that the hard way.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks, I figured you had to decap first.  Cleaner/shinier cases, but more case handling.  No free lunch.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 7:03:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Thanks, I figured you had to decap first.  Cleaner/shinier cases, but more case handling.  No free lunch.

To me its one less step.
Before I had to deprime and then brush the primer pocket if I wanted it clean, then dry tumble.
Now I deprime, then wet tumble so it cleans the primer pockets better than I ever got it with a brush.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#38]
My Cabela's tumber hasn't been used in months since I went wet.  I've processed all of my brass wet and it just plain rocks  :)
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 1:20:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're doing something massively wrong if you're having dust problems of any significant magnitude.

Maybe I wrote it wrong...maybe 8 hours "then" dust...I have tried dryer sheets but I still have to sift the shells outside...maybe its cheap cob, but anytime it goes in or out of the tumbler its like a plume of cob dust.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Got mine on order.Uh thanks.....
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Got mine on order.Uh thanks.....

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 8:39:31 AM EDT
[#43]
I have been playing with the idea of going this method. How are you separating the SS media & brass after tumbling?
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have been playing with the idea of going this method. How are you separating the SS media & brass after tumbling?

i use my frankfort separator.

don't use the tub anymore though  

i installed a new sink in the basement just for doing my brass.
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i use my frankfort separator.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/BIGGDAWG800/IMG_3484.jpg

don't use the tub anymore though  

i installed a new sink in the basement just for doing my brass.

Sorry, I guess that was kind of a stupid question. That makes since.
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I just use a regular cooking strainer for now, $4 at any store.
I bought a new bigger one last night because the little white one kept falling into the bucket.
Once I get my rotary separator back I'll be using that, if it works with dry media it will separate the SS rods.
Usually I have 99.9% of the SS media out by the time I dry the cases.
So far out of all the batches I did I only had one SS piece hang on in all the rifle brass, and two in a batch of 45 ACP that fell out in the cookie tray.
But as Dryflash3 posted in his thread you still need to visually check the primer pockets, as they could get jammed in there.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 11:55:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I used a crappy colander (need to get one with bigger holes...or make my own)  It worked OK.  But only used this for the pistol brass.  The rifle brass I just rinsed a few times in the tumbler and after pouring the water out; just fished them out with my hand.  Shook out the excess SS media and tossed em in the baking pan.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're doing something massively wrong if you're having dust problems of any significant magnitude.

Maybe I wrote it wrong...maybe 8 hours "then" dust...I have tried dryer sheets but I still have to sift the shells outside...maybe its cheap cob, but anytime it goes in or out of the tumbler its like a plume of cob dust.

That's even more odd.  I get no dust from corn cob media, only walnut hulls.  

IDK brother, Its pet store cob, that's my only guess.  I could probably get a lot of it out on a windy day and a couple 5gal buckets(just pour back and forth for a while and let the wind carry the lighter stuff away).  I also have some RCBS walnut that is dusty but not as bad.
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Wow!

How long does this stainless steel media last?  Can we just clean/wash it to reuse it?
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Wow!

How long does this stainless steel media last?  Can we just clean/wash it to reuse it?

I'd imagine it lasts until it all gets lost or accidently dumped out.
Stainless is harder than brass so I doubt it can "wear" and it won’t rust if dried out when not in use.

I just rinse mine until it stops making suds in a bucket and then put it back in the tumbler with more brass.
I haven't really given this thing much of a rest since I got it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top